Serious Hip pain

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

Serious Hip pain

Post by Pattycakes » 29 Jul 2010 06:52

Everytime after i play footbag, whether it be practicing or playing with some friends my left hip is always almost immobile from pain. i stretch it out alot, i have iced it and put heating pads on it but still everytime after footbag it hurts! I dont know what to do because i cant play footbag that often with my hip like this...

Does anyone have any suggestions, similar problems...thoughts at all on the subject??
Pat McGurran

Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

Post by Pattycakes » 09 Aug 2010 21:18

i would just remove this question but i cant so i figured id say THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT GUYZ! :lol: :D :)
Pat McGurran

Trevor
Circle Kicker

Post by Trevor » 13 Sep 2010 09:52

I know how you feel pattycakes. I have the same problem with my left hip, I think it's the hip flexor. The muscle is used for lifting your leg up, so it definitely takes a beating while shredding. I strained it pretty bad running up some stairs after a footbag sesh, so be careful what you do after. Even if it's not your hip flexor, the pain is most likely from an inflammation that can result from one major strain, or continuous minor strains. It is possible to have tendonitis in that area, so I may even get myself checked out if it doesn't start to get better. You are doing the right things for recovery, hot and cold, make sure you're eating well too. If you've been resting and doing all the right stuff and it still hurts, it's probably worth getting checked out before it gets any worse.

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 13 Sep 2010 17:11

If you end up going to a Dr. I'd be really interested if they have any good suggestions for what it might be. I have a friend with a similar sounding condition who has had no luck in relieving the pain or figuring out what it is.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 13 Sep 2010 18:14

i had a problem like this a long time ago.
before I even knew what footbag was:
the pain started for me during a cross country season in high school.
I ended up doing physical therapy and building the muscles around the painful spot to support it. I was doing leg press, lunges, and core work followed by ice, heat, and electroshock. By the time I finished the physical therapy it felt much better but still a little tight, and I went into soccer season... However, my first practice back while going for a big kick, my hip popped!!! It was super painful.
I had to have x-rays and everything, and what happened was this:
all the muscle building around the weak spot caused my muscles to tear a tiny piece of bone off when I had one big exertion. The physical therapist said this was not unexpected, and once I rested my hip never hurt the same again. I still get slight pains in my other hip similar to the old ones, and that hip also feels less flexible.
I was also told it had something to with how much I was growing then, soo if you are a teen it might be related to growing pains.
Do lunges every other day, and stretch the muscles surrounding the pain really well.
Hope it gets better!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

Post by Pattycakes » 28 Sep 2010 07:41

i have pretty wide set hips for a guy so it definitely was tough but i know its not growing pains because im 20 but i felt like i needed not only more consistent footbag playing but ever since iv been back at school iv been going to the gym and i strengthened the muscles above (abs, obliques) and below (hip flexors, ass muscles) and did alot of stretching and flexibility in between workouts and i feel alot better now.
I also improved my technique for atomic sets to be less frantic and more precise and also i went to go do yoga (i know, i know) and it helped so much with flexibility and opening my hips up and yeah thats my story for today about my hip problems
Pat McGurran

rSSn
Hack Fiend

Post by rSSn » 01 Oct 2010 08:11

I'm no expert on hip pain specifically, but a whole range of footbag related muscle strain/knee pain/joint discomfort has been just disappearing, gone, ever since I started lifting weights regularly (on non-shred days) and doing cardio (biking) before shred.

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Post by dotmpeg » 19 Apr 2012 21:44

I have become fairly consistent at both sides/both ways atws, but now when I lift my left (weak) leg I get a pain in my left hip; it is not a "serious" pain, but it definitely hurts.

Should I play through it (I did today - trained 2 hours, 4 yesterday) or rest? I am against resting, however, and would like to improve as fast as possible.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Apr 2012 00:06

Don't play through it!
Try to find exercises that will strengthen or stretch the muscles that are hurting. Avoid movements that will aggravate it until you can get over the "injury". A pulled hip flexor was my very first major injury. I couldn't play for almost a year, and to this day, 8 years later, I still avoid tricks that strain that muscle because it's become so weak after I tried to push through it initially.

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Post by dotmpeg » 20 Apr 2012 09:37

Okay, thanks.
I will be doing lunges through out the day, but right it is not very serious pain - so hopefully it will heal quicker.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Apr 2012 14:50

The butterfly stretch is a great one for hips too.

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Post by dotmpeg » 24 Apr 2012 15:30

I am starting to get an audible pop in my right hip (doesn't hurt), is that a bad sign?

My hips are so annoying: one pops, the other has hip flexor pains (have been doing all sorts of stretches) - all I want to do is train!

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Post by Ohios1 » 24 Apr 2012 19:22

how long you been playing and what kind of trick your u doing? i found that if your rushing a move or a set that your body isnt 100 percent ready for, there could be a problem there.
Ex. when i was training for 30 hours a week, i would work of bops, smears and some ducking. well next thing you know was working on quantum and atomic sets and trying to hit mirage and butter out of them just so i can have a huge improvement session and keep me going. if i had more energy i would try and furious set.

well come the next day and so on i would always have a pain in my hip flexor and back pain. that was from do so many different thing at in one day that your body isnt used to. I had to realign my hips every week cause they would be off about 1.5 inches. i even took some meds to knock down the pain level so i can train.
As of now, i have no pain and i train 2 hours twice a day, had i work on moves one day and the other i drill combos. I know alot of moves from drilling hard in the past but to tell you the truth,was really the point in hitting plasma when it took you all day to hit it and you can even put it in your shred? dont get me wrong, i love the fact that i can hit hard stuff but im just a guiltless shredder so i quess what im saying is for me shredding is more important to me than saying ive hit 200 moves,cause i cant even put all of them in a shred.
I still drill hard lik i said but the only way youll have less of a chance hurting yourself is to move up the ladder. Ex. being good at your legovers will help you in your illusion. illusions will help you in your paradons,dod,egg and so on.

Hope this didnt affend you.I say this only cause im guilty of rushing to hit shit thats not needed.
angeski

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Post by dotmpeg » 25 Apr 2012 11:25

I am only doing atw both feet/both ways pickup/legover both feet. Haven't trained since Thursday at least - sucks hard.

edit: Also I have a quick question: Did you always train 4 hours a day, since the beginning? Because I do the same (4 one hour trainings, 5-7 days a week [sometimes I take the weekend off]) and I have only started in mid-March.

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Post by Ohios1 » 26 Apr 2012 14:23

o ok then. couple things to think about that could be possibilities. R u hard on your feet? constant hard viberation from your landing can trigger hip pain from the impact and make your muscles around your bones sore. this also comes into play with shin splints. to same viberation can cause that.. aLso something to think about. since your new and just starting, doing the same movement with your hip all the time can effect your hips also. with the 3 moves that you listed, in all envolves the same hip movement. YOu could of just over worked it. Maybe switch it up and do some clippers and butters also.

How many reps do you do of atw,leg,switchovers?
angeski

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Post by dotmpeg » 26 Apr 2012 20:14

I am not anywhere near clipper (haven't even got 10+ inside kicks). Anyway, my hip pain has subsided.

I usually train atw for half an hour straight, trying to break personal records (and I always do, because I don't allow myself to stop until I do). My atw training is roughly as follows

>break strong atw
>break weak atw
>break strong orbit
>break weak orbit
>alternate both feet/both ways until I've reached 20 -- 5 reps

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Post by dotmpeg » 04 May 2012 16:42

I thought my hip flexor injury had healed after a week and a half, so I went out to get back into things and 20 minutes later - pain again!
This is hands down the worst injury I've ever had. Not because of the pain, but because I can't improve if I get injured as soon as I begin. I am doing all sorts of stretches but nothing helps - I might HAVE to quit if I can't move forward. Might as well go back to Freestyle Football at this point...

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Post by Ohios1 » 05 May 2012 12:38

what kind of warm up do you do? Maybe your hips are out of line?
angeski

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 16 May 2012 16:58

Based in my recent experience with hip trouble I would say that maybe they are out of line ...and If they are a chiropractor or a massage therapist , or shit loads of stretching and warmin up can help
SHRED HARD!

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Re: Serious Hip pain

Post by AdAstra » 07 May 2016 09:57

Reviving this because I've had trouble with my hip flexor. The pain seems to flare up randomly, I can't link it to any one trick, it simply hurts whenever I raise my right leg at all. Some practices it doesn't bother me, while others it does. Lately, though, the hip flexor has bothered me for a week straight which has never happened before. Any help?
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot