The Importance of Falling Down

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

The Importance of Falling Down

Post by Cass » 20 Aug 2013 21:12

It seems to me that a lot of injuries occur because people don't know how, or are too stubborn to fall down.

I have never had a footbag related injury and I attribute much of this to my falling abilities.

If you land on your ankle wrong the best thing you can do to avoid injuring it is to take your weight off it. That way your aren't putting unnecessary force on the joint.

So my point is this: fall the fuck down!

Looking silly is better than hurting yourself :D

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Re: The Importance of Falling Down

Post by Anz » 21 Aug 2013 03:12

Indeed. I've learned this the hard way.

Another good advice: If you think you've sprained an ankle, don't "see how it feels after a couple tricks" - it'll make it much worse.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 21 Aug 2013 05:47

Second to Anz's advice.

Cassy, falling works in some cases, and I've avoided hurting myself plenty of times by doing, but sometimes all the pieces line up in all the wrong ways and you can't do anything about it =/

But yes, if you feel something wrong and you have the opportunity to fall, please do.
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Jul 2014 06:34

I'm great at falling down! I had a ton of experience with that in elementary school. The other kids on the play ground used to help me practice often :P

No but seriously, falling is really important and i've not yet had any injuries with falling, although I've come too close for comfort.

Learning how to fall will definitely save your ass... Good crank never hurts anyone either :P
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 09 Jul 2014 06:43

My worst injury occurred while I was falling down, into the wrong direction. And I was standing in the ankle with my other foot... And I had a wall in front of me so I had to fall the other way which resulted in nearly ripping of my foot... But yeah, fall if u can, other than that incident it saved me a couple of times!
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 09 Jul 2014 07:22

I have Defintely saved myself many many times ....as we get older this ability will help us in trying to avoid falling down and breaking our hips .....it's better to go with it than resist . But yes , one time I was trying to break my ripwalk record on grass ( stupid stupid ) and around 56 I stepped in a tiny hole I didn't see and ...it was the one time I didn't go with and actually completely the next set before falling .....heard a Loud pop .. 3 months of rehabilition before I could kick again
SHRED HARD!

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 09 Jul 2014 08:55

Knowing how to fall and redirect momentum can save a players game. It's not always an option you can consciously make, but it is an invaluable skill.

I also agree that it's best to take a breather and wait after taking a fall or possibly injuring yourself. If you keep playing and assume everything is fine, you are much more likely to make it worse or actually injure yourself.

Most recently, when I hurt my knee in Utah, I took a minute or two of downtime after hearing my knee pop. It didn't hurt while standing, but it felt odd, and so I decided to keep playing a bit. After trying some basic stuff I figured it was ok but as soon as I tried anything that required my knee to turn I felt a sharp pain. I stopped but I was very glad I gave it a rest or I may have really messed something up.

I guess the main point I'm trying to make is the same bit of advice I give in yoga classes... LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience