Comics

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
jake
BSOS Beast

Post by jake » 10 Mar 2006 19:22

i have a really big collection of old comics.
Jake Marmon - Gresham Oregon
15-years old
yeah

nosuchthingasheroes00
Circle Kicker

Post by nosuchthingasheroes00 » 10 Mar 2006 21:21

my collection is sad.......and possibly anorexic..... :P hehe

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 10 Mar 2006 21:58

Well she used to have all the stuff, that she has on deviantart, on her website, and she used to update a lot, but now that she's doing multiple projects every single month all she has on her site are the previews for those projects. She used to also have previews for her smaller short stories which she talks about republishing in anthology form on her site in more recent project news.

Have you read her other stuff? The Dracula book looks like it will be REALLY good, though, I wish it wasn't a toned-down "all-ages" book. I'm waiting for Scott Pilgrim #3 to come out before I order Hopeless Savages #2 with it straight from Oni -- Mal and Becky both did work in it.

nosuchthingasheroes00
Circle Kicker

Post by nosuchthingasheroes00 » 10 Mar 2006 22:26

Well, she's a busy girl. ^^ I'm still surprised she can update as much as she does with all the work she's doing. Even if she doesn't put up much, it's still nice to see her stuff, you know? Because, holy crap, that lady's got TALENT. WOW. o.O And no, I haven't read anything else by her. *tear* Though I am really looking forward to East Coast Rising......she's been talking about it for SO long. So. Yeah.

And I have yet to discover the greatness of the Scott Pilgrim series. Though it's supposed to be really good. (Hey, quick recommendation incase you haven't read it yet and I'm SURE you have...Strangers In Paradise. Finally gave in to all the hype and picked up a copy. SOOO GOOD.)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 10 Mar 2006 22:35

I dunno -- I was always interested in SIP, and I think I browsed a few issues, but I couldn't get into the drawings too much. I kind of like the cute noses, but I mostly read comics for the drawings...

Some really cute books are Jeff Smith's Bone, and Mark Crilley's Akiko...good stuff. Have you read them?

nosuchthingasheroes00
Circle Kicker

Post by nosuchthingasheroes00 » 11 Mar 2006 10:22

ohmigosh, i LOVE bone!!!!!!!!! :D i don't know akiko though....ooh, have you read akira? i'm up to like...number four? yeah, i just gave up. hehe. but it's another really good one.

(too bad you didn't like SiP though....because it IS a good one...though the drawings do take a while to get into.....)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Mar 2006 10:39

Hey, here is an uber cute adventure from Akiko:
http://www.hackrifice.com/marita/Akiko.zip

And here is that short Kabuki story I mentioned before. I thought I'd emailed it to my girlfriend, but actually found it in a folder on my website, so here it is. Kabuki is a MUST read... Read my post before about it. Everybody with any appreciation for anything beautiful must read Kabuki:
http://www.hackrifice.com/marita/Frank% ... rated%201/

Oh, Akira. Naw, I haven't read it. Are you talking about the HUUUUGE mangas? The shop I shop at has a bunch of them. I think I browsed through them once and wasn't terribly impressed. I really liked the anime, though, and then I remember reading a review of the manga somewhere and REALLY loving the drawings...so I would totally be interested in reading them all. But...they're probably pretty pricey, hey? They're like 400 pages each or something??? Is it similar to the anime? Have you read Shirow's works?

Another book that looks really good that I only semi like the drawings in is 100 Bullets. I read the first couple issues, I think, and it seems interesting, the drawing style is super consistant and very unique... I think it's recieved really high praise in the industry. Ever read it? There are, like, many issues...

nosuchthingasheroes00
Circle Kicker

Post by nosuchthingasheroes00 » 11 Mar 2006 11:00

the akiko thingy reminds me of this comic from the 50s...little lulu? yeah. it's cute though. ^^

wow, that kabuki thing is holy-crap-GORGEOUS. *dies* so pretty....

if you didn't like the manga of akira, atleast see the movie, because it's a CLASSIC. it makes noooo sense whatsoever, but then...c'mon. they had to get 7 gigantic volumes down into about a 2 hour movie. not as easy as it looks. ^^ i recommend it though... (and yeah, comics are best when they're there for the art.....no other point in reading them, really. hehe)

i keep seeing 100 bullets in places and every once in a while i flip through it but it never really interested me. maybe i'll give it another shot. ^^

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Mar 2006 11:10

I did see the movie; I just said that :p
I would love to read the books. I think I will look into that the next time I have money and need comics (without already having a list of books I neeeeed).

Yeah. Kabuki = the best.
If you ever see those little triangles...that was swiped from David Mack ;)
You would never guess just from looking at it, but the plot is actually, like, espionage/action/assassins... His style has evolved a lot even from this short... Maybe I can post more some time. I'm trying to think if I have any other good comics scanned that I could share..

100 Bullets...I don't know. It seems like the kind of book that would get really good later on, but I didn't read far enough for it to get super good yet. It has a really interesting premise though.
Last edited by Muffinman on 11 Mar 2006 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

nosuchthingasheroes00
Circle Kicker

Post by nosuchthingasheroes00 » 11 Mar 2006 11:14

i = super observant :p hehe.

anyways. ooooh, you might have mentioned earlier you really like clamp manga? they're like...the only manga REALLY worth reading it seems like. so gorgeous. *drool* anyways. x/1999....it's like....a thousand volumes long and i don't remember where i left off because i was borrowing it from a friend who didn't have them all but if you want to read something really addicting and gorgeous, read THAT.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Mar 2006 11:17

I don't know what clamp manga is. Umm, and x/1999 sounds familiar... I will look it up.

nosuchthingasheroes00
Circle Kicker

Post by nosuchthingasheroes00 » 11 Mar 2006 11:31

clamp is a group of four (five? six?) women who make some of the most gorgeous manga ever. not really a manga/anime person over here, but if it's worth it....well....then it's WORTH it. :P

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 11 Mar 2006 12:52

Alrighty, I aI won't list all of mine, because I own way too many comics.
For now, just my collection of CLAMP manga.

CLAMP (complete):
RG Veda ~ 1-10
Tokyo Babylon ~ 1-7
WISH ~ 1-4
Magic Knight Rayearth ~ 1-6
CLAMP no Kiseki ~ 1-12 <==This is the sex!
Cardcaptor Sakura ~ 1-12
Chobits ~ 1-8
Angelic Layer ~ 1-5
CLAMP School Detectives ~ 1-3

CLAMP (incomplete):
X ~ 1-18 I have my doubts that this will ever be completed in my collection. CLAMP's stopped working on it for many many years already. T_T
CLOVER ~ 1-4 Same as above. Same situation. T_T
Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE ~ 1-11 This is still running weekly. I'm a few tankoubon behind now. My mom's going to pick them up for me in Taiwan when she goes. YES!
xxxHOLiC ~ 1-6 Also still running. I'm also behind in this series. I am very in love with this new series. CLAMP's back to doing what they do best, magic!

I also have 30+ CLAMP artbooks.

Can we just say, I'm a huge fan of them?

I'll post my graphic novel collection later on.
Pengpeng Du

nosuchthingasheroes00
Circle Kicker

Post by nosuchthingasheroes00 » 11 Mar 2006 13:06

whooooa, that's a lot of manga. hehe.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Mar 2006 16:30

Whoa :D

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 11 Mar 2006 19:45

Woah! Hold on!

It's awesome you're so into comics Erik, and you've probably read more than me, but during the course of this thread you pointed out that you weren't impressed by two of my favourites:

Preacher, and the all mighty AKIRA.

I remember a time long ago when I picked up Akira and thought it was OK, but wasn't into manga. I wasn't able to appreciate it's beauty by caually flipping through it, and so dissmissed it for several years. Then somone wiser than myself sat me down, slapped me hard in the face, and loaned me book 1.

I WAS FOREVER CHANGED THAT DAY.

I believe that Katsushiro Otomo (artist, writer) is the single greatest comics creator ever. Ever! He's not the best artist, or the best writer, but he can do more with the medium of comics than anyone else on the planet. It's his storytelling that makes him the best. Hard to explain.

If you think Akira is too long, or expensive, try picking up Katsushiro's DOMU. Then move on to the real thing once your eyes have been opened.

Please look deeper Erik.

As for Preacher, well that's just one helluva good time! As long as you don't mind a bit of ultraviolence. Oh, and has anybody mentioned Lone Wolf & Cub yet? Also a personal favourite.

Just my $0.02.

Edit: Oops. I just read the part where you said you'd love to read the Akira books. :oops:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 13 Mar 2006 17:30

Here are some more goodies:

A page from Daredevil -- collaborative illustration/painting by Joe Quesada and David Mack: http://www.hackrifice.com/marita/Darede ... 16_p04.jpg

And here are two Hellboy shorts. It was SUUUPER hard to choose which to post, because there are some reeealllly good ones in his earlier drawing style, but I tried to get a compromise of his more recent style which is what I love about him, and an okay story. His Irish folklore incorporations are my favourites. Here is 'Pancakes' (I have a non-coloured version in the artbook which I like better, though) and "The Nature of the Beast":
http://www.hackrifice.com/marita/Hellboy/

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Mar 2006 15:41

I got my Sam Hiti books today.
He signed them all and drew me sketches in two of them :twisted:
I also asked, in an email, when Tiempos Finales #2 (of 9) will be ready and he said hopefully this summer! This is such a good read... I highly, highly recommend it! Demons and potions and books and prayer and chanting in a very cinematic-paced, tastefully monochromatic graphic novel = gold.

His other books are very simple and I didn't appreciate them too much (minus the Tiempos Finales one-shot of course, though that was not as good as Tiempos Finales vol. 1)

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 15 Mar 2006 09:29

Yay Sam Hiti! He's got some awesome drawing ability and his style has just exploded lately. I dunno where he gets it, but I'm jealous!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Jun 2006 09:54

I just finished reading my latest new book.
I'd ordered a bunch of Becky Cloonan stuff -- Dracula, Jennie One, and East Coast Rising Vol. 1. I also picked up a copy of Frazer Irving's Frankenstein, mostly because it was basically free after pushing my order up to the free shipping amount and I really dug the sample art on Amazon. The illustration style is AMAZING!! It's mind-boggling, in fact. He tried out this style where he starts with a completely black panel and paints with white (Photoshop) in a sort of reverse subtractive process rather than just drawing and adding darks...very crazy with AMAZING results!! I tried to go to his official website after finishing the book, but the pages wouldn't load :( He's bloody talented!!

Frankenstein and Dracula were true to the original novels, which was another reason I bought Frankenstein, because I had recently read Mary Shelley's novel. Good stuff. Dracula was neat, but a little disappointing from Becky...I think it was mostly in the pacing, or something, or maybe it was good but I just enjoyed Frankenstein a lot more?

East Coast Rising started out kind of slow, but once I got into it it was AWESOME!! It's like cyberpunk, but Pirate punk!! A really awesome concept in, like, a post-flood U.S.A.. I love it, and I can't wait for Vol. 2!

Jennie One was really amazing too. It's all about the government silencing the public voice, and freedom of speech in art, focusing on punk culture (as Becky does best). This is probably the best Becky Cloonan I have ever read. Demo was cryable, but the art in Jennie One was spot-on beautiful. I love the smudgey fingerprint shading a LOT and the photo-real cityscapes...

I just ordered a couple new books last night too -- Scott Pilgrim 3, which is finally out, as well as Hopeless Savages #2 (also by Mal, apparently). I wanted Hopeless Savages B-Sides (with cover by Mal and some interior art by Becky), but I couldn't find it on the Oni site :? So that was frustrating...

PS: The coolest picture ever!! (My all-time fvourite illustrator, Joe Madureira):