Comics

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 22 May 2012 13:41

I need suggestions for what to read.

Orc Stain is really good. Looking forward to more.

This is kinda cool and comic related: http://tmblr.co/ZP86TyLjMdxW

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 May 2012 14:35

Have you read Stokoe's Wonton Soup? If you liked Orc Stain... I think I liked Wonton Soup better.

Probably my absolute favourite books of all time are Domu and Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo and Orion by Masamune Shirow. If you haven't read them, they are amazing. The first two are pretty intense, but Orion has a similar quirky humour like Orc Stain mixed into its epic awesomeness. I wrote reviews for them somewhere if you're interested. Also, if you're down with the metaphysical and gorgeous watercolours, David Mack's Kabuki is a must read. I wish I could post pictures, but I'm on my phone. I'll add later if I can.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 23 May 2012 12:43

Haunt vol #3 TPB comes out today. I've only been waiting 15 months :x !
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 24 May 2012 12:28

Akira is definitely epic. Gonna check out Domu and Wonton Soup. Great suggestions!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 24 May 2012 13:49

Is Haunt any good?
I'd picked up a massive 50-issue TPB of Invincible for Ryan Ottley's (I think he was the original penciler on Haunt?) drawings (which didn't disappoint), but the story is just so boring, slow, and uneventful.

I just got my internet hooked up today, so I can share some pictures to go with my last post:
Domu:

Akira:
(If you've seen the movie... completely disregard everything you know, and read the book. The movie is so weak and leaves out way too much, just like Ghost in the Shell, which is a good movie, but an amazing book. Also, Asmus, you should try to find some of his short stories online. They're just as great as his epics.
My favourite character from the book. (Was she even in the movie?)

Orion:
(I couldn't find any pictures that do this justice...)

Kabuki:
(Every page of the (later) books looks like these samples.)

A couple other massive and epic books are Eden: It's An Endless World by Hiroki Endo (very Appleseed-esque -- and hard to find a good picture again), and Blade of the Immortal, by Hiroaki Samura
(both of whom also have short story anthologies that are really great as well!) I think both of these have anime adaptations, but I'd steer clear of those too. I highly recommend these two. Eden is, like, 18 books, or something, and BOTI is, like, 30-something (still in translation).
Last edited by Muffinman on 03 Jun 2012 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 25 May 2012 08:54

Muffinman wrote:Is Haunt any good?
It's not very deep, but if you like Todd McFarlane, blood, conspiracies, and the supernatural it's worth a read.

I've also been reading Punisher MAX. I've read the first 20-30 issues. I can't put it down. I'm prone to anything Garth Ennis writes though.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 25 May 2012 21:36

Here are those synopses that I wrote for the books that I recommended above:
me wrote:Domu: An apartment block in Japan bears witness to an inordinate series of unsolved deaths. Is the building haunted, or is there something much more...special at work here? Mischief makers of young and old wage psychic battle amongst the ignorant while casualty levels skyrocket and a team of police investigators attempt to solve the mystery behind these deaths.
me wrote:Akira: A mysterious governmental project in Japan yields super-powered children. Rival bike gangs war in the streets of Tokyo. Kaneda and his gang stumble upon a super-powered runaway. Kaneda's best friend, Tetsuo, bails on his bike and is taken away by ambulance. Later, Tetsuo reemerges with similar powers, and with the young Akira awakened from cryogenic slumber, Tokyo is levelled to ruin and overtaken by Tetsuo's army in the name of Lord Akira! Oh noes! However will Kaneda and co. be able to stop this dastardly duo??
me wrote:Orion: Concepts of Buddhism, quantum physics, ancient sorcery, and mythology combine to bring you a futuristic philosophical action thriller from the brilliance of Shirow. A school of magic devises a powerful spell, the likes of which the cosmic ruler desires. When the army comes to sieze control from the head, he binds the spell to his daughter and pummels her across the sky into the ocean. Gods descend from the heavens and battle over these mortals' qualms. The god Susano, sides with the school of magic and tries to help prevent the usurpation of life by the evil that is the 9-headed Naga. Magic. Martial arts. Swords and sorcery. Science. Does it get any better? DOES IT??
me wrote:Blade of the Immortal: Manji is immortal. This quality has presented fine opportunities with which to train his vast weaponry arsenal, not to mention the regeneration of body parts when necessary. When he meets a Rin, young girl bent on the revenge of her raped and slain family, he allows himself to be hired as her bodyguard in her quest to kill the leader of this vicious band of renegade, lawless non-samurai. An epic tale that takes many twists and turns as we follow these characters through deep friendships and enemyships alike. Action and unprecedented suspense fill this series, and particularly the final installments, as the government captures Manji and attempts to create an army of immortals based on the experiementation of his body.
And while I'm at it, here's another recommendation: Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser -- one of Mike Mignola's earlier works. If you love fantasy adventures and good art, look no further. I'm not a big fan of Mignola's earlier Hellboy style, but this stuff that pre-dates it is really beautiful. The watercolour colours throughout really compliment his pencils.
me wrote:Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser: Fafhrd, a burly barbarian from the North, and The Gray Mouser, a lanky thief from the innercity befriend each other [and ladies of the night] one drunken night. Whilst bonding and collecting further means of intoxication, the lives of their newly met women-folk are stolen along with the material treasures of The Gray Mouser's thievely den. Bosom buddies they instantly become, and through thick and thin rage side-by-side in the grueling quest to avenge their women. Sorcery and witchcraft are thier enemies -- charm, luck, and skill their allies. To what ends will these heroes climb to have their hearts stilled?

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 26 May 2012 12:12

Thanks Erik.

Just wanted to plug this guy Halfdan comic "Locksmith Files".
He is quite an underground god in Denmark.

http://pisket.dk/webcomic_eng/title.html

(NOT SAFE FOR WORK)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Jun 2012 07:58

I just found out that 23 comics and artbooks of mine by my favourite artist, Ashley Wood, are worth, like, $5300 (based on the cheapest prices available). The most valuable of mine, for which I paid about $50, seems to be going for as cheap as $950 Canadian on Amazon and up to $1300. His books sell out really quick and jump in price within months of printing -- I learned that the hard way, missing an artbook I wanted, so I always jump on his books as soon as they're released. I think his super expensive prints and originals usually sell out within hours, too...

I don't think I have too many others this valuable.
Does anyone else have any valuable books?

Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: Comics

Post by Asmus » 08 Oct 2012 01:14

Ashley Wood is badass. Only checked out illustration stuff on the interwebs though.

Started reading Domu. It's hardcore. I don't think I like it as much as Akira, I still really like it.

Also been guilty pleasuring reading G.I. Joe comics.

What are you guys reading?

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 08 Oct 2012 09:26

Didn't know this thread exists. I just recently realized Erik that you collect. I've been collecting for years. Lone Wolf and Cub is also arguably one of the best comics of all time and fits with the genre you are discussing.
My current reads:
Scott Snyders Batman
Ultimates
Hellboy (best long running series)
Batwoman (Williams III am I right?!?)
Lastly to mention my favorite artist is Bryan Hitch
Comic peeps, WHAT WHAT?!?
Justin Dale
Videos

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 08 Oct 2012 10:18

Donald Duck for the win!

I have a subscription for a weekly Donald Duck comic. Also I sometimes buy the pocket books. Soooo good.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 14 Oct 2012 23:48

Finished Domu and I think I have read all the issues of Orc Stain that is possibly to come across in Denmark.
That series is still awesome by the way.
Here is some more art from that:

Also read Jodorowsky's Technopriests series. And started on "The Incal" series drawn by Moebius:
Apparently they would finish a book (40 pages) in 4 days, because Jodorowsky would act out the scenes and dialogue and Moebius would draw it all while he did it. Pretty badass!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Oct 2012 03:37

Thanks for the picture post, Asmus :)
I'd never seen that Orc Stain picture. It's not in the TPB.
I read somewhere that Moebius was the one to first create the vertical futuristic city model that's been used in so many sci fi movies. Was it difficult to find translations of his works?

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 15 Oct 2012 03:54

I have heard that people have trouble in the US finding his work translated. But I have found comics of his both in english and danish in danish comic shops. And it is easy to find stuff on the internet.

Moebius has ment alot on how Sci-Fi movies look. Doing storyboard and concept designs including Alien by Ridley Scott, Tron by Disney, The Fifth Element by Luc Besson, Star Wars V, and for Jodorowsky's planned adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune, which was however abandoned in pre-production. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's true what you say.
http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/moebius/
(The documentary where the clip on that side is from is pretty amazing)

g33k mode: ON!

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 28 Feb 2013 01:21

This guy I always play pool with manages a comic book/used and new book store. Been getting trade paper backs for 1/4 the price. Just got the series that got me back into comics for a steal. Preacher. As well as the punisher Max series which is incredible
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Feb 2013 12:26

If anything could get me out of comics it would be Preacher :(

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 02 Mar 2013 23:43

Preacher was amazing. Except for one TPB, which wasn't drawn by the normal guy, and talked about backstories. If you start that one, just throw it in the trash. The direct story stuff though is brilliant.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 19 Feb 2014 00:15

Time to revive thsi bitch.

The attentive reader will know that I am a big Brandon Graham fan. And I just started reading his Mini Series "Multiple Warheads". Only read the first issue so far:
The story follows Sexica, an organ smuggler-ninja-girl and her werewolf boyfriend, Nikoli, on a travelling trip across sci-fi style Soviet Russia. There's also a side story of sorts involving another Organ-smuggler-ninja-girl called Nura, who's been sent to find an immortal (for organ harvesting...)
Pretty sure King City is better but I like his humor and style so I am gonna enjoy this for sure.

He did all the writing for the new issues of 90s series Prophet. Might start reading that.
Have you checked it out Erik Chan?

What have you guys been reading?

Muffinman
the gimp

Comics

Post by Muffinman » 19 Feb 2014 02:05

Brandon's puns are amazing. Did I tell you that I accidentally met him? I didnt know who he was or like his style at the time. Marian tried to convince me to buy his books. He's very scary-looking in person!

Warheads was on my wishlist for when the TPB comes out, but I havent been in the loop 'cause I don't have money or a job at the moment. Is that what you picked up?

I didnt unpack my comics when we moved to our most recent place, 'cause there isnt room, but I have a small box of books on my to read list. Right now I have a few things by Timothy Green, Bill Sienkiewicz's Elektra, and some things i never finished like Sharknife 2 and Bone: Stupid, Stupid Rat Creatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk