Post Your Music...

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 10 Apr 2009 21:42

Jesus christ I can't stand FL Slayer.

I don't like your music at all Brian. It just doesn't have any soul and I can't really sense any creativity. BUT, this is just one person's narrow, harsh, subjective opinion. Don't mind me. :wink:
James Randall

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 11 Apr 2009 09:53

It's not what you use, it's how you use it. There's been some amazing work done using pretty much everything that exists.

Stick to what you like and don't be afraid to experiment, and things will work out. Takes work though.. Personally I've been producing for 5-6 years now, every day, and the road just goes on and on for what you can learn.

There's been a whole page of work posted since I last commented, I'll check these out soon.
Nicholas Laroche

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 11 Apr 2009 10:15

habitat wrote:Jesus christ I can't stand FL Slayer.

I don't like your music at all Brian. It just doesn't have any soul and I can't really sense any creativity. BUT, this is just one person's narrow, harsh, subjective opinion. Don't mind me. :wink:

Thats very harsh, but I have to disagree, Brians music is the shit!

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 11 Apr 2009 17:18

Thanks Radek!!!

every has their own opinion, especially when it comes to music! :)

james:
any constructive criticism? about equalization or mastering or layers or maybe more automation to switch things up or song structure, or perhaps you would just enjoy it more without the slayer or my sound choices may not be pleasing, or maybe more organic is your style?

maybe you would like my other stuff better: www.myspace.com/bendtheblocks
rollin, packin, smokin features me on bass and vocals and my homeee on drums, so at least there are some natural sounds there...

for me, it sucks when people say they don't like the way you are doing something and offer no tips to help make it better, and i believe you have a history with beat making... which means you are capable of giving advice and not just saying my music sucks :/
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 11 Apr 2009 18:18

I believe what James is trying to say is that you lack some sort of pop sensibility and melodic intuition. Personally when I listen to your music, it sounds like you're just screwing around with stuff out of whim and possible curiosity. But maybe you're doing that on purpose, or maybe you're just trying too hard, or maybe I'm just way off. I definately see a lot of talent in your stuff, and I can't really say that I hate it. There are some moments in the songs where I can really feel it, but sometimes just one instrument or note or series of notes and tones can just ruin it. I think it needs some touch of realism and creativity that I don't think can be accurately described with words, and not just more "organic sounds." I think that's the best advice I can give. Who are some of your musical influences?
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 12 Apr 2009 04:20

I said it was a harsh, narrow opinion. 8) I listened to four of your songs through laptop speakers.

But since you actually care what I think (for some reason), I'm pm'ing you my full thoughts since I just listened to all of them with headphones.
James Randall

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 12 Apr 2009 18:19

I made sum new songs I'm pretty excited about. They're the top 4 on my player.

http://www.myspace.com/grantmooney

Since I'm still relatively new to songwriting, I'm open to any and all comments/suggestions/insults.
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 15 Apr 2009 10:06

brianbear wrote:Thanks Radek!!!

james:
any constructive criticism? about equalization or mastering or layers or maybe more automation to switch things up or song structure, or perhaps you would just enjoy it more without the slayer or my sound choices may not be pleasing, or maybe more organic is your style?

rollin, packin, smokin features me on bass and vocals and my homeee on drums, so at least there are some natural sounds there...

for me, it sucks when people say they don't like the way you are doing something and offer no tips to help make it better, and i believe you have a history with beat making... which means you are capable of giving advice and not just saying my music sucks :/
I listened to Rollin,Packin,Smokin, I like the drum and bass sounds a lot. The vibraphone or bell sound is really nice. The vocals need work though! You have a decent voice, but you're holding back when you're recording, you'll get a better sound if you push your vocals harder.

Also, when you rap, there's a part where you're going for a Snoop sound, try not to make the effects with your voice; record the rap as best as you can do it, and then use effects to get the sound you want. For a more telephone effect like you're going for here (I think), use an EQ and drop the low and high end to keep just the middle frequencies.

But it's a fun track. Mix isn't so horrible, but the bass sound needs to be louder and punchier some how; same as the kick drum.

Cool song though 8)
Nicholas Laroche

Ur
Hack Fiend

Post by Ur » 15 Apr 2009 10:53

Laroche wrote:
brianbear wrote:Thanks Radek!!!

james:

For a more telephone effect like you're going for here (I think), use an EQ and drop the low and high end to keep just the middle frequencies.
Yeah, but to be more specific - cut some highs, add big boost around 1500hz and cut everything below 700-800hz. Also apply lot of compression pre EQ,
Last edited by Ur on 17 Apr 2009 19:52, edited 2 times in total.
Uros Ramic

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 17 Apr 2009 19:31

rollin, packin, smokin is definitely the type of sound i'm shooting for in general with my hiphopish stuff, and having more "educated" ears to critique it is great! I'll fool around a bit with it, and try to get up to recording studio at foothill college to re-do the vox: i recorded that about a year ago on a crappy little unidirectial mic, so using a pimp compressor vocal mic and letting loose on my vocals will make this track better!

And thanks for the specifics on frequencies, i'll fool around with boosting up around the areas you guys said, and cut some of the obnoxious highs!

Thanks for the tips everyone, very appreciated :)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 20 Apr 2009 19:00

http://www.myspace.com/mattcross

please click on the song Borrowed Things.

It's my first recording all by myself :) I played all the parts. no digital correction or editing.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

footjam_heger
Egyptian Footgod

What do you think?

Post by footjam_heger » 08 May 2009 13:17

What do you think about this music?

http://www.myspace.com/theaptmusic

habitat
Post Master General

Re: What do you think?

Post by habitat » 10 May 2009 15:38

footjam_heger wrote:What do you think about this music?

http://www.myspace.com/theaptmusic
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U[/youtube]

I'm just messing around, it's pretty good, I guess. I'd much rather listen the the original jazz records though. Gotta love hip hop, right?
James Randall

the_8_bit_kid
Shredalicious

Post by the_8_bit_kid » 16 Jul 2009 10:15

Came across this post and thought I'd post a link to a band I used to be in where I played guitar. Http://www.myspace.com/silenttormentmetal. The recordings are pretty old now, and I hate the vocal style of the guy we had singing but I don't think we did to bad for a bunch of kids!
Nick Sullivan
"Leicester? Is that near London? Have you met the Queen?"

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 16 Jul 2009 14:17

Good stuff. Man, I was jammin' to that.
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.

the_8_bit_kid
Shredalicious

Post by the_8_bit_kid » 16 Jul 2009 17:01

Thanks man. I don't play much guitar anymore but have recently been thinking about writing some more stuff and recording it myself at home. I want to do some good old fashioned hardcore. I might even try and do the vocals myself!
Nick Sullivan
"Leicester? Is that near London? Have you met the Queen?"

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 28 Jul 2009 23:06

heres a short video of me messing around with stuff.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3Cc4A8 ... r_embedded[/youtube]
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 29 Jul 2009 13:46

Nice job Grant. I just got my loop shit figured out with an extra QWERTY keyboard and ableton live 8. What pedal/setup are you using to loop?

I was just thinking we should colab Grant. I like your style. I can play drums, guitar, bass, keys, anything really.
James Randall

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 29 Jul 2009 19:07

I'm just using the loop setting on my delay pedal, so it's very basic (and kind of hard to make sound good.) A proper loop station is on my list of pedals, but that list is a little long and I don't have much money. hah.

I'd be down for a collaboration. My email is gmoney629@gmail.com if you want to email me more about it and stuff.
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 15 Aug 2009 15:54

I will email you soon Grant. My recordings lately have been shit. :(

http://www.myspace.com/zackgrahampoetry

I made some sort of Boards of Canada style beat behind my friends poem I recorded. It's the one called "Castles". It's so quiet for some reason. Myspace music player sucks.
James Randall