Team Fortress 2

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Team Fortress 2

Post by C-Fan » 12 Feb 2014 20:45

Completed my 18th tour tonight. When the boxes were revealed, I saw I had 3 in the tour completion part. I should have been excited, since it meant at least I got a pro kit. But with my luck, I was afraid itd be a shitty one. And honestly, I was disappointed to see I didn't get australium, again.

My normal loot boxes appear, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see I got a pyro misc (jingle belt). Good start.
My normal KS box reveals...a grenade launcher kit! Nice! That alone should pay for this tour.
My spec kit box reveals....apoco fists. Again. Wow. Much disappoint.

but then my final box opens...and reveals:

:arrow: Pro minigun kit! Holy crap! Wow!

In a weird twist, its the same color and effect as the last pro minigun kit I sold: hot rod and singularity.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrTY_JRGwOk[/youtube]
I built the kit up, and now I have $8 left in my wallet. I'm not sure if I'll sell it or keep it. I kinda regretted selling the last one, but it DID enable me to buy another unusual, and I do love unusuals. In any case, I was just really happy to score a good pro kit in a drop finally. Felt like it justified my last 18 tours.

I think I may take a break from MVM for a bit, or at least from completing tours. I played with a guy yesterday who had done 65 tours and never gotten australium or a good pro kit. I think getting a pro minigun after 18 tours is pretty good, so why not stop there. I might buy 1 ticket and play MVMs, but drop out just before victory. But really, I don't know that it makes sense for me to keep spending on tickets if I've already got what I wanted.

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 13 Feb 2014 07:47

wow, such a great drop !!!

i just keep playing mvm because i like to play it, but i won't want anything from it anytime soon. i may finish my tickets and end my mvm career too, unless i get a pro kit at the nd that i want to build.

i returned on the regular game few days, man, i sucked !!! i can't aim anymore, it was horrible. i played way to much mvm hahahah 3 months without having to move normally and having to aim.

i'm one spec unique weapon untill i get another pro sandman kit (tornado, team shine). i currently have 138 sandmans. everything is going fine :) i don't have/"didn't see live" a tordano effect so far, i can't wait to see it!!!
Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Feb 2014 10:18

C-Fan wrote:I built the kit up, and now I have $8 left in my wallet. I'm not sure if I'll sell it or keep it. .

I'm still leaning towards keeping it. I put it up for trade to feel out offers, but if I'm not blown away by any by Monday, I'll just use it myself. Heavy is my main class, minigun is my main wep, and its the wep I get my best killstreaks with. I think it'd also be cool to have 3 effects going on my heavy at once (snow, money, and pink sparks)

C-Fan wrote:I think I may take a break from MVM for a bit, or at least from completing tours. I might buy 1 ticket and play MVMs, but drop out just before victory. .
I bought a single ticket yesterday, and messed around a bit. I think this is the plan I will pursue. Its also been kind of liberating. In the past I would only play classes I knew I was good at, since I wanted my teams to win. Now? I can experiment with Scout/spy/sniper, since I don't care. People also usually give me the benefit of the doubt since they see I have 18 tours completed. I think my short term goal is going to be to get a few MVM achievements I haven't gotten yet for demo/spy/sniper.
akalazou wrote:). i currently have 138 sandmans. everything is going fine :)
So how does the collector kit stuff work? When you're done amassing the sandmans, does it give you something like a strangifier, where you can apply it to your strange sandman so it becomes a strange collector sandman? Do strange collector's sandmen exist? I'm assuming you can put a pro/spec/ks kit on a collector item, but I'm curious about if you can "make" a strange wep into a collector one, or if all collectors are by definition not strange.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Feb 2014 10:19

Double post.

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 14 Feb 2014 11:14

C-Fan wrote: So how does the collector kit stuff work? When you're done amassing the sandmans, does it give you something like a strangifier, where you can apply it to your strange sandman so it becomes a strange collector sandman? Do strange collector's sandmen exist? I'm assuming you can put a pro/spec/ks kit on a collector item, but I'm curious about if you can "make" a strange wep into a collector one, or if all collectors are by definition not strange.
i won't be able to make it strange, i think i just need to put them in the set and BAM, i have a collector's one. then i'll put the kit on it.

if there is a strangifier, you can do it afterwards. i saw a strange pro collector's pomson on a forum
Julien Cote

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 15 Feb 2014 04:22

and it's DONE !!!!

collector's professional killstreak sandman
Julien Cote

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 Feb 2014 07:44

Siiiiick. Thanks for the answers on collector's stuff...makes sense.

I still haven't used my pro kill kit on my minigun yet, but I think its more likely than not that I will. In the meantime, I bought my first pro kit for use this weekend. More accurately, I bought a strange professional natascha. I figured it was a primary for my main class, I sometimes go on killstreaks with it, it was a decent effect (tornado), and it was cheap. Paid $7.50 on the market for it, which felt like a good price since the rest of the listed ones were all $14 or higher. I may sell it if I get bored with it, or if I use my minigun pro kit, but for now its a fun new toy.

I've also been really enjoying playing MVM without pressure. I have learned that Pyro is not nearly as bad as I was led to believe. If you max out health on kill, up your speed a little, and get your damage up, pyro is incredibly effective. I used to think she was just good on tanks, but I know different now.

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 17 Feb 2014 14:22

fyi, that's what it looks like in the backpack. i didn't know it was bright green without a line around the item

Julien Cote

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 17 Feb 2014 19:06

i just made my first big trade ever :D

i sold my SF pro eyelander for 14 keys !!!!! that's 35$ !!! i don't have the money but i was hoping to get 28$ from it 7$ better than i expected WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Julien Cote

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 17 Feb 2014 21:03

Nice, that's always a great feeling. Did you get paid in keys, or steam market money? If you got paid in market money, that might be more keys than you think. If you check periodically, sometimes people sell keys for like $2.34. I know thats only 15 cents less than in the store, but if you buy 20 keys at that price, that's 3 TOD tickets right there.

I didn't get any good offers on my minigun kit, so I decided to use it. That was kind of what I was hoping for all along, especially since I earned this kit in a tour, and I main Heavy in both MVM and normal TF2. The effect looks good, especially with my double unusual. Here's a picture of my natascha effect:

And here is my minigun effect:

Now that unusuals aren't forced to be in the hat slot (they are all cosmetics), I think my next goal is to acquire a cheap planets heavy unusual, and see if I can't get a triple effect on my heavy. Snow, cash, planets, and a killstreaker all at the same time. That'd be ridiculous.

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 28 Feb 2014 14:30

soooooooooooooooooooooo. i tried something new and it didn't do anything i was expecting ... i deleted my badge to look if i could have an australium weapon in a low tour count. I'm at tour 3 now :D and didn't get an australium :-/ right now, my plan is to end my career to 40 tours, so only 3 mores to complete.

i got another stupid pro kit :( skullcutter :-/ i'm not gonna build anything right now even if i can build any kit i want right now since a have way too much parts. i don't want to get a wonderfull pro fabricator at the very end and no parts to build it. i have two very spec fabs tho, pistol and knife. i don't know what i'll do at the end ... if i don't get anything good, i might build my most expensive kits and try to sell it to get a great one (like shotgun).

12 more missions to do = 240857134085713087501 robot parts = plenty of fabs to build.

the killstreak weapons i have so far:

Rage-Inducing Professional Killstreak Pistol
Collector's Professional Killstreak Sandman
Hale's Own Professional Killstreak Sandman
Rage-Inducing Professional Killstreak Frying Pan

Hale's Own Specialized Killstreak Silver Botkiller Scattergun Mk.I
Legendary Specialized Killstreak Diamond Botkiller Rocket Launcher Mk.I
Specialized Killstreak Festive Grenade Launcher
Strange Specialized Killstreak Stickybomb Launcher
Gore-Spattered Specialized Killstreak Carbonado Botkiller Wrench Mk.I

and the ones i have to put in fabs:
Killstreak Pomson 6000
Killstreak SMG
Specialized Killstreak Fire Axe
Specialized Killstreak Atomizer

i'm all set or almost :?
Julien Cote

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 02 Mar 2014 16:44

finally, i built the spec knife i had and sold it in less than 5 min for 5.60$ plus the money i already have = i bought 4 tickets to be able to reach 40 tours and a spec shotgun fab that i built too for myself.
Julien Cote

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Mar 2014 13:50

I hope you close out your 2 Cities career with something really good. Like a golden sniper rifle with a pro kit to go with it. Its kind of insane how people can do 40+ tours and get nothing good, when somebody else can do like 2 tours and get something insane. But I guess uncrating is the same way when you think about it.

I've been happy with my decision to "retire" from MVM. I still play, but I never let it burn one of my tickets. I get the same enjoyment, just without the gambling thrill of seeing what loot I get. But after 18 tours, I think it was time for me to quit while I was ahead. I currently have 3 tod tickets, which I'm gonna hold onto until the next map(s) are released for MVM.

On my front, the biggest news is that I did a big unusual trade. It was kind of a big gamble, and I don't know if I came out ahead or behind on it, since almost none of the hats involved had a price on backpack.tf.

I traded 4 of my unusuals:

:arrow: Dead Presidents Bear Head
:arrow: Arcana Engie Cap
:arrow: Aces High Defiant Spartan
:arrow: Blizzard Merryweather

and got back in exchange:

:arrow: Aces high Hong Kong Cone
:arrow: Collector's Professional Spycicle (emerald firehorns)

My hope is that I can sell the spycicle for an unusual, but that may be hard. We'll see. My thinking on the trade was that the HKC is an all class, that I think looks good on all classes, and has a nice effect. I didn't see it as a downgrade for Heavy, Soldier, or Pyro. I was sad to lose the engie cap cause I loved that effect, but the HKC looks good on engie too. And now my Scout looks way better, and my demo/medic/spy have alternate unusuals. If I can turn the spycicle into keys or an unusual, I'll be very happy with the trade. As it stands now, I definitely love my new hat, and I think it was an overall upgrade to my loadouts.

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 04 Mar 2014 13:06

"Tour of nothing" is now at 38 tours done, same as always :(

great pic there :D
Julien Cote

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 05 Mar 2014 13:56

i posted this on the discussion page of the good mvm player, i think you always have wise suggestions :):

I'm about to finish my 40th tour and still have no australium. I'm really thinking about ending my mv career. On another note, i'm able to build a crappy pro kit and sell it on the market. idk what to do with that. Idk if i should buy more tickets with that money or if i should buy something else to do something that i still don't know.

It's really/very frustrating always getting crap from the troll engine. I still like the game but i already built all the KS i need for the regular game.

What would you do ? HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Julien Cote

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Mar 2014 08:22

The TF2 economy is riddled with inefficiencies...which means there are always opportunities to profit. In your case, I'd identify what you really want next. Is it an australium wep? A rare strange wep? An unusual hat? Maybe a game other than TF2?

If you don't plan on using your pro kit, selling it on the market is a good idea. I've generally had a lot more success selling pro kits on the market than I have on trade websites. Once you sell your pro kit, I'd recommend maximizing the value of your steam wallet in one of the following ways:

:arrow: Wait for a "midweek madness" or other flash sale of a popular game, and buy it when its like 75% off. Wait a week or two after the sale is over, then advertise it on trade websites for keys. For example, say Hotline Miami is on sale for 75% off, so you get it for $2.49. When the sale ends, it goes back to $10. If you go on a trade website, you can sometimes sell it for like 3 keys, since people think they're getting a good deal (1 key cheaper than the price on steam at that moment). Sometimes you have to sit on the games a while though, and it can be tricky finding a buyer who will take a non TF2 item. It has worked for me in the past though.

:arrow: Monitor the price of crate keys on the market. For some reason, TOD tickets don't ever seem to be cheaper than 98 cents, at which point you might as well just buy it off the Steam Store. Crate keys though, often fluctuate as low as $2.31. That's only 18 cents cheaper than the store, but if you have a lot in your steam wallet that adds up.

:arrow: There is also often a big disconnect in prices for strange parts, between the market and trade sites. I think its because when people unbox and get a strange part with a very specific use (e.g. headshot kills, buildings destroyed) that they can't use, they just throw it on the market. You can often find these at a good price, and then flip them on trade websites for a better price.

Anyway, I think step 1 is just identifying what you want next. I initially played 2 Cities cause it was fun, and I wanted a shot at loot. After a while though, the appeal of the loot (or my perception of my chances of getting it) made it such that I wasn't really playing for it anymore. Now I play missions and abandon at the very end of the final wave, and its just as much fun for me, but doesn't cost me tickets anymore. I'm happy with my decision...maybe see if that works for you as well?

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 10 Mar 2014 15:21

so, i finished my 40th tour this morning, and what a surprise i had when i got my loot !!! nothing, as always. just another stupid/useless specialized fabricator. so i built my spec black box first and had enough robot parts to build my pro natascha. i'm done with mvm unless. i have everything KS i need.
Julien Cote

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 12 Mar 2014 20:10

i already miss mvm :(

as soon as i'm able to sell my s. pro natascha, i'll buy some more tickets with the money. i deleted my badge again :D back to 0. now i'll really look like a noob (at first) if people don't check my demo weapons. i put the hat from mesarumus (or something like that), my oil badge (intermediate, lvl3 badge) and another stupid misc. noob looking ftw !!!

one of my frined just got his first australium yesturday ... it took him 50 tours :-/ for an eyelander

on another note, i thought that having to get at 10 kills to get the full effect was high ... but in fact, it's "easy" to get (the quote are there for a reason)i was able to get it many times in the last few days, as scout and soldier, my best was 19 kills, as scout on harvest (i think)

man ! i love this game !!!
Julien Cote

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Mar 2014 13:01

I feel bad you've had such bad luck with MVM loot. But at least you had a good time playing all those missions. I miss MVM too. I'll play some missions with you (and abandon at the end) once I get back home and have a better internet connection.

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 13 Mar 2014 15:01

I DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE EVER PLAYED WITH BE0TA, AESOME iTALIAN GUY, I ASKED HIM TO PLAY BECAUSE I SOLD MY QUICK-FIX REG KIT FOR 1 $ (sorry for the caps) and bought a ticket with it. i told him that i'll be able to 3 more tours total if i ever be able to sell my strange pro natascha that i put on the market. he f*cking bought it !!!! so i only need botbash right now to finish my tour and i'll still have 2 more to do :D. i'll build a spec kit for him since i don't give a damn about KS's anymore (i have all i need, i think i already said that tho).

3 more chances to get an australium !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julien Cote