Hooping!

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Hooping!

Post by Cass » 10 Jul 2014 05:35

I'm just getting into this and its SOO MUCH FUN!

I love how you can do tons of freestyle stuff and the learning curve is very kind in comparison to footbag. It's fun cross training for rest days and a great excuse to dance!

I think it would be really fun to have a combination footbag-hooping event of some sort. I think these sports really compliment each other and it would also make for a more balanced gender ratio :P

Anyone else into hooping?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Hooping!

Post by C-Fan » 10 Jul 2014 07:58

Hooping is fun! I'm not super serious, but I find it relaxing.

Saw this vid on facebook which I thought was pretty cool: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10104536562933435

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Re: Hooping!

Post by Outsider » 10 Jul 2014 18:32

I like hooping for a number or reasons.

#1 -- I just couldn't do it when I was a kid. Somewhere along the line I developed the coordination to keep that damn thing up, and I'm happy about that. My theory is that so many years of freestyle footbag have improved my over-all coordination so much that I didn't need to LEARN to hula-hoop correctly, I just developed better over-all coordination and went from not being able to hoop to being able to hoop without necessarily trying to improve.

#2. I think it's good for my back. I think I'm prone to back problems -- I feel that my body is fundamentally fragile, so I take things slow and easy to warm-up. Warming-up and loosening-up my back involves some stretching, and also just alot of easy relaxed moving --- I sometimes think of it as sort of "wiggling" my spine a bunch. Hooping a pretty good kind of "spine wiggling".

#3. I like to kick at music festivals. Sometimes the spot that I really want to shred in is kind of in the middle of a large crowd of people dancing or otherwise just standing around, and I sometimes feel a little shy about just claiming a bunch of space in the middle of the crowd to kick rather than dance... and then I'll see a few women hooping in the middle of the crowd, unashamed to assert their right to that space, and I think "well, if they can do it, so can I" and I feel less bad about taking-up the space that I need to jam in the middle of the other dancing festival-goers. Kicking and shredding, after all, is my favorite kind of dance.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP