RPGs

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
full nelson
8-Bit Ninja

RPGs

Post by full nelson » 10 Nov 2004 11:07

Since I've become unemployed, I've found myself having lots of free time. I like being lazy and lying around somewhat, but I begin to get restless if I have nothing to do for a long time in the afternoon. In my search for time consuming activities, I remembered how much time can be taken up by console RPGs. I haven't really played console games since highschool and don't have any anymore so I started downloading roms onto my computer from my favorite SNES role-playing that I played as a kid. I forgot how much fun they were!

Some of my favourites are:
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Destiny
Star Ocean: Second Story
Final Fantasy 4/7
Lufia II
Xenogears

Right now I'm playing Tales of Phantasia SNES rom which came before Tales of Destiny for the PS. So I'm already familiar with the battle system which I find really fun. I want to play Final Fantasy III. I still can't believe I haven't gotten around to playing it because everyone tells me it's the best game ever 8O

So who else likes RPGs?! Do you guys have some that you'd like to recommend?
Brad

carl winslow
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by carl winslow » 10 Nov 2004 11:57

i also used to play RPGs all the time
my favorites were
-earthbound
-FF3
-Chrono trigger

what website do you get your roms from?
Reginald VelJohnson

full nelson
8-Bit Ninja

Post by full nelson » 10 Nov 2004 12:23

http://www.fantasyanime.com/myinfo.htm

I got some from here. You just click on the one you want and then go to downloads on the games site.
Brad

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 10 Nov 2004 13:56

whoever said ff3 is the best game ever is RIGHT!!!
beat it the first time alone and then get the cheat manual to find all the stuff you missed the second time, there is TONS!

FF2 has a better replay value, but the second time through ff3 is still awsome, try to have everyone learn every spell, even the crapy characters become awsome with some patience. and the crappy characters have the best ending when you beat the game with them.

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 10 Nov 2004 15:49

morrowind no more has to be said in this thread.

www.morrowind.com

biggest RPG in the world, this game u can attack EVERY thing in the game, and can pick up everthing, from stealing in shops, to takeing a sample from a plant... not to mention the graphics are so good you will shit your self, only shity thing about the game is when u fight its kinda wird looking when u attack with the sword, but thats bc its a video game with a sword, all sword games are like that. i highly highly hiiiighly recomend this game to any rpg lover, xbox and computer.

and i must mention my other love, DIABLO II LOD i was king of this game around here. I was # 4 on patch .09 and was lke #23 in .10 ( bc i start to footbag i got away from the addiction of diablo)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
these 2 games are the best rpgs in the world in my opinion, next to maybe.... zelda? try them or be square

KronoKicker
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by KronoKicker » 10 Nov 2004 16:36

Excellent recommendation zach, Morrowind is awesome, i have it for the PC with both expansions. I haven't played in a while though because my PC has been a bitch lately.

For PS I recommend Legend of the Dragoon. Excellent story line, beautiful cinnematics. Its only drawback is that its kind of easy if you are used to RPG games.

For PS I also really like Final Fantasy Tactics, the storyline and battle engine are awesome.
Aric McIntosh

mattkain
Multidex Master

Post by mattkain » 10 Nov 2004 18:08

Not mentioned yet:

Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega Saturn, shooter/RPG hybrid)
Shining Force 1 and 2 (Genesis)
Shining Force CD (Sega CD)
Shining Force 3 (released as 3 discs for Saturn, I only played disc 1 and 3)
Dragon Quest series (Dragon Warrior stateside)
Crystalis (NES)

If you like FF Tactics, you'll like the Shining series. Highly recommended. I'm sure the PDSaga ROM is floating around by now, one of the most innovative RPGs I've ever played. If I thought long enough, I'm sure I could come up with a laundry list of Turbo Duo titles as well, one of the most underrated machines out there.

Matt Kain

edit: Lunar the Silver Star and Lunar Eternal Blue are also great titles.

joplick
Shredaholic

Post by joplick » 10 Nov 2004 19:19

dw7 is a rpg and a half but i got stuck on disc one after 60 hrs!!!
ff6 is classic
ff7 is good ole fun
cant believe no one said chrono cross!!! favorite game ever... cant wait for chrono crusade (the next chrono game)
tales of phantasia is in my top 3 rpgs of all time. what a game!
vagrant story is an interesting square game
final fantasy tactics advance is (imo) better than the first one
~Jared Wilbur~

Women are like a fine wine... they get better with age.

[life is]"A cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred."
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 10 Nov 2004 20:31

Brad -

If you're into those RPGs, I definitely recommend Seiken Densetsu 3. I think I ended up having to get it through a p2p server, but it's a great SNES RPG. The fighting system is great, the story line is well done, and all of the characters are VERY fun to play as. There are six different characters to start the game as (choosing two more as your companions), with each providing a different beginning and ending storyline.

As for computer RPGs, Neverwinter Nights and Daggerfall (the second game in the Elder Scrolls series - haven't tried Arena) is really buggy, but REALLY fun.

If you get tired with those, there's always MUDs... I used to waste so much time with them.

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 10 Nov 2004 21:20

cant believe no one said chrono cross!!! favorite game ever... cant wait for chrono crusade (the next chrono game)
tales of phantasia is in my top 3 rpgs of all time. what a game!
What?! when is Chrono crusade comming out!! That's awsome, chrono trigger is the best game ever.
Also, tales of symphonia is a really good game, I was wondering what the other ones were like, and since everyone says there awsome I'll have to try them out.
Dustin Rhodes

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 10 Nov 2004 21:59

Haha morrowind, when I "lived" at my buddies apartment I used to play that on his xbox all the time. I had a level 30 alchemist/thief. I was So fucking strong man, and I was such a good theif i could steal stuff from anyone! nobody could catch me! I ended up making him go crazy and basically just killed everyone I saw, so now im under arrest in every city and I cant go near a guard anywhere without him attacking me, but my guy is so strong I can take anyone out! And with the alchemy I can just have pretty much unlimited potions, and unlimited ingredients cuz I could just kill shopowners and take their stuff, fun times. That guy got deleted :(
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Nov 2004 22:14

For PC - The Wizardary series was fucking awesome!!

The last one - Wizardary 8 was a tiny bit short - but still really cool. Such a shame that Sir Tech closed down. Old skool rpgs rock!!

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 11 Nov 2004 20:16

zachatree wrote:these 2 games are the best rpgs in the world in my opinion, next to maybe.... zelda? try them or be square
Zelda isn't an RPG. It is Action/Adventure.

Best RPG's of all time;

1. Final Fantasy 6 (3 In America and Canada)
2. Seiken Densestsu 2
3. Seiken Densestsu 3
4. Star Ocean 3
5. Super Mario RPG :lol:

Edit: Seiken Densetsu is Secret of Mana.
Adam Dexter

dblthnk84
the Bum

Post by dblthnk84 » 11 Nov 2004 21:51

I'd have to say that Super Mario RPG should be higher. I'd also have to recomend The Bards Tale, which is the funniest RPG ever.
________
medical marijuana strains
Last edited by dblthnk84 on 07 Feb 2011 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

ShredPirate
Punkass

Post by ShredPirate » 30 Nov 2004 20:16

breath of fire I and II (snes) - memories......
vandal hearts (psx) - great political storyline
destiny of an emperor (nes) - one of the longest RPG's i've played
secret of mana (snes) - in my top 3 list
legend of mana (psx) - similar to the above
wild arms (psx) - western/cowboy themed RPG
7th saga (snes) - toughest RPG in the world
Chris Pinkus

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 30 Nov 2004 21:05

nasty nate wrote:whoever said ff3 is the best game ever is RIGHT!!!
beat it the first time alone and then get the cheat manual to find all the stuff you missed the second time, there is TONS!
wow, yes, i can't remember how many many hours i spent playing that game!!!! just thinking about it now makes me want to run down to a pawn shop, pick up a super and a copy of that and sit down to rip it up!
nasty nate wrote:and the crappy characters have the best ending when you beat the game with them.
word, i think the best ending was with the animal kid you pick up in the woods. i don't remember how it ends but i remember being blown away by it!
A.G.

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 01 Dec 2004 15:51

Worlds of Warcraft!! I'm going to be buying that soon
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 01 Dec 2004 16:11

Seath im getting WOW for christmas!

its a bomb game and we need to pllay together. be horde
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 01 Dec 2004 16:14

World of Warcraft does look sweet! I really blew at Frozen Throne on multiplayer though! :? My favorite RPGs ever are:

Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 10
Legend of Dragoon
Star Ocean
Kingdom Hearts (and yes, I know it has Disney characters in it :wink:)
Oh, and no one forget the Chrono Cross/Chrono Trigger and the early Final Fantasy games!

I'll edit this as I think of more games to add to this list!
Kaushik Amancherla

joplick
Shredaholic

Post by joplick » 03 Dec 2004 13:44

xenosaga ep 1(ps2) and 6(ps1)
xenosaga ep 2 (due in feb 2005!)
dont expect chrono crusade out till at least late 2006 is my guess the only reason anyone knows thats the name of the next chrono game is that square enix trademarked it. and its not like theyre gonna make a sports game called chrono crusade... or are they???
~Jared Wilbur~

Women are like a fine wine... they get better with age.

[life is]"A cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred."
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion