Reilley Adamson's challenge thread

Challenge your friends to hit tricks/combos you know they can hit, even if they don't!
rjadamson
Multidex Master

Reilley Adamson's challenge thread

Post by rjadamson » 05 Mar 2013 05:57

Introduction

I'm making this thread for the one year anniversary of my footblog. I can't believe I've been actively playing again for nearly two years. I've gotten a lot better in that time, but I think having some pressure/guidance from the community will improve my ambidexterity and trick variety. My short term goal is to go guiltless by this summer. A little further beyond that is to gain some muscle mass in my legs and core so that symposium tricks are easier -- right now I am not even strong enough to air shred a flail very well. I think this lack of mass also really contributes to my recurring shin splint issues (that are thankfully dissipating). My long term goal is really just to look physically fit and play with the good form of a real athlete. I have started some cross training to aid in this endeavor.

So far I've put little time into many concepts. I don't think I've mastered really any tiltless components enough so that they look easy to a bystander, and there are many tricks like drifter that I can do well enough to reliably start strings with... but cannot do consecutively. I pick new tricks up quickly, bt move on too fast. My osis is terrible and no advice seems to be the right advice. I do like the satisfaction of hitting big moves, but I am also becoming more and more aware of the fact there are lots of things I can really only do on one side (like torque). I've been working on shuffle tricks a lot (predominantly stepping and open... some atomic and shut). I haven't worked on longer tiltless strings in a while.

I currently play two or three times a week. In the past shin splints have prevented me from playing any more than that, but I seem to be making a good push. I don't really micromanage how many things I train during a given time period so I also don't really know exactly what I should say in order to help you guys give me good suggestions. If you read my footblog you might know what to suggest. I want to both address all challenges thrown at me while not ruining what momentum I have by switching gears too much (which is why I'm mediocre at everything in the first place). We'll see how it goes. I think what I will ask at first is that all of you assume I can't do much besides clippers and toe stalls, and recommend increasingly harder drills. If anyone has advice on how to remove bad hand form -- mine do really weird things during toe moves -- I would appreciate that more than anything.

For a while in my footblog I had a list of mots of the concepts I worked on along with my relative proficiency in each one. I may recreate that list for this thread soon.

Current challenges:

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Reilley Adamson's challenge thread

Post by C-Fan » 05 Mar 2013 14:50

*Magellan-smear-PLO rpt
*PDLO-pixie ss mirage-parkwalk rpt
*25 guiltless, don't care how much BOP
*Set and break an osis record every month
*Dropless routine at USO

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Mar 2013 15:49

Far legover > osis > near legover > osis [repeat] > far mirage > osis > near mirage > osis [repeat] > far pickup > osis > near pickup > osis [repeat] > far illusion > osis > near illusion > osis [repeat]

I've seen videos of you, but not sure how feasible this is for you. Based on your intro, though, it sounds like exactly what you need. I warm up with this at least once per session, usually with the clipper instead of osis version beforehand too (since I require a lot of warmup in general). Another great one is osis > far osis [repeat] (increasing the number of far osii with each rotation) -- not sure if your osii are consistent enough for this yet? Mine are still really weak, but I find this one really fun and satisfying.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 05 Mar 2013 18:41

Those suggestions are perfect. I'll get to work on those tomorrow.
C-Fan wrote:*Dropless routine at USO
We'll see about this. I think if I actually plan on competing in advance I might be able to do a very diluted dropless routine. But honestly I really don't like the routines event in general (I think it's tacky on an aesthetic level, and I think it also needs the major judging revision that was discussed in that huge Facebook post after Worlds 2012 results were announced) so I'm not sure how into working on that I actually am. Would you settle for me going for intermediate circle comp champion? In either case being able to do two minutes of shred without too many pauses or any drops is a good goal.

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 13 Mar 2013 11:17

i always see you posting new big tricks so how bout some basics homeboy. i tried to cater this to stuff you do/stuff you should do. enjoy and i hope these are reasonable.

-tiltless everything x2 and then x3 (illusion>ss illusion>rpt>mirage>ss mirage etc.) you get my meaning.
-osis x20 (if easy double it)
-bsos bubba>dlo and near mirage>egg beater in one string :twisted:
-datw>legover rpt
-set a new dyno>ss butter rpt record
-smear>ss illusion>rpt
-swirl bs then x2 bs then bsos
-downtime pixie x25 (pixie op toe>rpt)
-legover x50
-pdx torque bs (gotta have some fun)

i hope these are good. i feel like 2 huge parts of footbag are being able do a shiton of consecutives to make stuff easy (basics obviously)and to be able to hit anything out of anything so if bubba>dlo is awkward for you, school the fuck out of it and it will be bladerunner>smog or something phat someday. if you bridge the gap on stuff like that early you'll be ridiculous.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Mar 2013 12:13

I like Kevin's challenges. I may even revisit some of them myself. But yeah...progress?

Unrelated to footbag challenge: play some TF2 with me! Now that I have a mic and am better, I bet we could be an unstoppable heavy-medic duo.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 04 Apr 2013 18:30

Sorry I haven't posted much here. I haven't really nailed many of these challenges.

I did hit a lot of consecutive osis yesterday (Trevor from our club was watching, and thought it was at least 20), but I don't know what happened to the video.

I've gotten 5 contacts through dyno > near down, rpt.

Working on double around the world > legover, rpt.

Illusions are coming slow, anything associated with them will be rough for a while.