Travel to Africa

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Travel to Africa

Post by Jeremy » 11 Feb 2009 16:51

I am vaguely considering an epic trip to Africa next year. Has anybody travelled there much and if so, how dangerous is it and do you think this trip sounds like a good idea?

The plan would be to fly in to Johannesberg and either watch some soccer world cup games immediately, or at the end of the trip. From South Africa I would travel up to Mozambique then Zambia and then the Democratic Republic of the Congo - which is the place I most want to visit, in fact the number one place in the world I want to visit (or at least the Congo basin forest).

Obviously the last part of the trip is by far the most dangerous. The Australian government travel website says I should "reconsider my need to travel [to that location]" - which is the second worst recommendation after the short list of places where they advise against travel (such as Iraq and Sudan).

Indeed the reason for the route I've suggested is to avoid other countries that are about as dangerous - all the others merely have the warning that you should "exercise extreme caution" so that's a lot better... :P

Of course if I take this trip I will defer uni for a year as well and maybe spend 6 months there. I don't know if it will happen, but an epic adventure sounds appealing :P

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 11 Feb 2009 18:47

Have a chat with Benoite, she spent 6 months in Western African countries a couple of years ago. Admittedly very different to where you want to head but still she might have some insightful info to share.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 11 Feb 2009 19:50

i've been to egypt, which is pretty touristy and relatively safe (as far as africa is concerned), but i still had a dude try to stab me. :lol:
A.G.

Cope
Shredalicious

Post by Cope » 12 Feb 2009 06:10

He slices one way, he slices another, he's like connect 4 in dagger terms!
That was a bad time for you wasn't it boy. but dont worry, i wont let it happen to you again, cuz im gunna protect you, cuz i love you. in fact if you weren't a geezer id be raping you right now behind the counter.
Nathan Cope

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Feb 2009 18:32

I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet.

Cope
Shredalicious

Post by Cope » 13 Feb 2009 01:51

Your going to Africa to see gorillas?
Nathan Cope

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 Feb 2009 05:51

That's not the main attraction but it would be pretty amazing to see some in like mist and shit.

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 16 Feb 2009 02:20

DFAT also once told me I shouldn't go to Indonesia. Didn't stop me chillin' with my gangster bros.
Oliver Adams

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 04 Mar 2009 15:09

I've been in Gabon for over a year and liked it.

I've been hanging out with locals and also travelled around the country.

Just don't try to have too much confidence in people, try to always have someone who knows the place with you, or don't be alone in the middle of nowhere.

From what I've seen it's not that people would kill you or anything! It's just that African are VERY wize and have great ways to trick you and make a good profit out of you in any ways.

Just remember, it's a very corrupted place.
Mathieu Gauthier

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Mar 2009 15:27

I should give a little more details about this perhaps.

The Congo is a war zone, and more people have been killed in this war than in any other conflict since World War 2. Although things are more peaceful at the moment than they have been in the past, it would still have to be considered one of the most dangerous places for anybody to visit.

So I really want to know if people have visited other countries that are perhaps comparable in danger. Here are the lists from the Australian government.

Advise against travel;

Afghanistan
Burundi
Central African Republic
Chad
Iraq
Somalia
Sudan
Zimbabwe

Recommend reconsidering need to travel;

Algeria
Angola
Democratic republic of Congo
East Timor
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Guinea
Haiti
Indonesia
Lebanon
Liberia
Madagascar
Mauritania
Nigeria
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia
Sri Lanka
Yemen

I've been to Indonesia before, but only to the very safe tourist places - not to Aceh or West Papua or any of the places where there is conflict and Westerners getting regularly kidnapped or murdered. Most of the places on the second list, especially the Congo, have a number of places where they recommend not travelling to, but it's not the entire country, while the first list it obviously is the entire country. Unfortunately the places I want to visit in the Congo are basically in the middle of the places where it is recommended you don't travel to at all.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 08 Sep 2010 19:22

Ben Little spent 2 years in Tanzania and just moved to South Africa. I can give you his e-mail if you want.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Sep 2010 18:40

Thanks for the bump. This topic was badly named, which I presume is the reason for the confusion, despite my attempts to put it on topic. My question was really; Has anybody ever travelled through an actual war zone? If so, what can you tell me about considering it?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Sep 2010 05:16

Jeremy wrote:Has anybody ever travelled through an actual war zone? If so, what can you tell me about considering it?
For you? Dress appropriately.