Mycology

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
brent
Circle Kicker

Post by brent » 16 Apr 2012 12:12

Mr. Mushies,

I just wanted to let you know, the only way to surely identify a Gymn is under a microscrope. Guessing by the shrooms you're talking about, I'd say you live in North America.

If you are interested in actives, I would pick up "Mushrooms Demystified", it's pretty much the North American mushroom bible. Also, Panaelous Cinctulus is very common all across N.A., check well fertilized lawns, decomposing horse dung, and horse trails in the shady spots. Most active mushrooms stain blue, although P. Cincts (formerly known as P. Subs) rarely stain blue. Also, there is a forum at shroomery.org that I'm sure you'll find most helpful.

I'll be visiting Maryland in a few weeks and will surely be out along local streams hunting Morels myself. Goodluck!
Last edited by brent on 21 Apr 2012 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Mushies
Circle Kicker

Post by Mr. Mushies » 20 Apr 2012 16:55

Gymnopilus can be identified by their bitter taste, robust base, and greenish bruising. Not all of them bruise of course. When I say bitter taste you bite off a tiny piece and spit it out. People tend to mistake Gymnopilus for Cortinarius, Armillaria, and Pholiota more often than Galerina.

Shroomery.org is the main site I am on nowadays. I have them look over any of my mushrooms I photograph to double check my ID's before I eat anything. I mostly look for edibles rather than actives. There aren't too many actives that grow around here, so I stick to gourmets.

Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata is growing right now off the riverbanks of the Ohio river valley, but I don't have a vehicle to go looking. It has been really dry here in NY, so I haven't found anything yet this year besides for a bunch of polypores that kinda bore me.
Dave Soderberg

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Re: Mycology

Post by Jeremy » 15 Jul 2014 22:28

I've been doing a bit of amateur mycology again, mainly inspired by the growth of location specific taxon specific facebook groups (ie Tasmanian Fungi :) ). Here is a macro of Oudemansiella gigaspora.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 19 Aug 2014 02:46

Clavaria zollingeri

Chase
Shredaholic

Post by Chase » 21 Aug 2014 15:42

I can't say I know much about the mushrooms, but yeast are classified along side them and I love yeast. I brew beer and maintain yeast cultures on slants. I also am trying to harvest wild yeast suitable for brewing beer. So far most everything I have captured produces a smell of cream corn or a taste of cooked stale broccoli, not beer worthy.
Chase Card-Burns