Writing a school paper about Footbag.

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
Tommy
The Green One

Writing a school paper about Footbag.

Post by Tommy » 07 Mar 2011 12:09

So I've decided after a few mins of deliberation, to write a paper for school on Footbag. Something i'm sure at least a few of you have probably done yourselves.

So I figured, where better to get the cold hard facts on footbag, then modified!

So what'd you guys think? Think I could spit out 3ish pages all about footbag?
Tom Gartland

-Beacon Footbag Coalition-

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 07 Mar 2011 12:45

i just recently did a 10 page paper, so its definitely possible. Its good to use the information that .org provides, and even spilling into some insight of footbag.com is always a nice touch if you are having a hard time getting the pages you require.

Tommy
The Green One

Post by Tommy » 07 Mar 2011 12:56

Nice!! Yeah, the problem i'm coming into is that i need to cite 3 sources for it, and footbag.com would be the 3rd for me.

But hey, if you got 10 pages out of yours. I surely can muster up 3. :D
Tom Gartland

drillbit
Shredalicious

Post by drillbit » 07 Mar 2011 13:55

considering foot sports are the national sport of a few countries there should be a ton you could write on the subject.

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 07 Mar 2011 14:11

I wrote 21 pages about footbag for my senior grad project an learned to stitch for the projects hands on hours required. It wast hard to spend the 40 hours stitching when I was 17 an just learning. Most kids did community service.

use footbag.org an explane the add system, how you play, etiquette in a circle, equipment, how to mod shoes... the list goes on an on you should find no trouble in 3 pages.

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 08 Mar 2011 11:39

Tommy G meet Tommy G

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey3ogH3sG8A[/youtube]
James Randall

Tommy
The Green One

Post by Tommy » 09 Mar 2011 11:55

So, what IS the fuss all about??
Tom Gartland

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 09 Mar 2011 12:43

Exactly. 8)
James Randall

Tommy
The Green One

Post by Tommy » 10 Mar 2011 18:52

I handed in my paper today. I took your advice Zach and tried to go as in depth on adds, and tricks in general. I got a good 3 pages out of it too. So hopefully it went over well.
Tom Gartland

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Mar 2011 00:41

I wrote a paper a few years ago about whether it would be possible to genetically engineer a perfect footbagger. It was more about the science of genetic engineering than footbag though.

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 16 Mar 2011 00:47

Jeremy wrote:I wrote a paper a few years ago about whether it would be possible to genetically engineer a perfect footbagger. It was more about the science of genetic engineering than footbag though.

what was the conclusion?

the last girl i was seeing was very flexible an she could do dragons... i joked about if we had a kid that it could be a supper shredder

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Mar 2011 07:52

As I recall I left it a little ambiguous but raised the issues of training and motivation, and whether these traits are genetic, and that there must be some environmental factors as well. I think I basically said that in the future when we understood the genetic basis of human traits better you might be able to engineer a very good footbagger, but it would be difficult (because they might not want to play etc.)

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 16 Mar 2011 07:57

Jeremy wrote:As I recall I left it a little ambiguous but raised the issues of training and motivation, and whether these traits are genetic, and that there must be some environmental factors as well. I think I basically said that in the future when we understood the genetic basis of human traits better you might be able to engineer a very good footbagger, but it would be difficult (because they might not want to play etc.)
Would the same body be good for both freestyle and net?
Nicholas Laroche

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 16 Mar 2011 08:57

Would the same body be good for both freestyle and net?
Lets ask Kenny Shults.

Wulff was also freestyle world champ, and while he may never be net world champ, he does compete at a pretty high level. Tuan Vu, too. Also, Jeremy Mirken seems to have climbed the ranks of net pretty high lately, and I thought he was a very good freestyler. John Lays is a top-tier net competitor, and he was also a pretty good shredder before turning to the dark side. I think one or two of Montreal's best net players (leaving aside the multi-time world champs and hall-of-famers) were also shredders originally, though I won't speculate on just how good they were or could have been.

And then we can use me as a counter-example -- my net skills are non-existent, and as for freestyle, above average might be too generous...
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 17 Mar 2011 03:02

I would speculate that if you genetically engineered a perfect freestyle footbagger and a perfect net footbagger they'd have different but similar body types, but given the difficulties in defining the genetic traits that are advantageous to either sport, in reality you'd probably just try to produce a good athlete.

Tommy
The Green One

Post by Tommy » 29 Mar 2011 19:47

Well, grades came back, I got a somewhat favorable grade on it. Not as good as I had hoped, but definitely passed :D

My teacher loved the title "Hacky Sack and the Footbag Revolution"
Tom Gartland