Coolest Thing You've Ever Seen?

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Coolest Thing You've Ever Seen?

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Apr 2012 14:26

So I was having a conversation with a co-worker today and I came up with a question for him... "What's the coolest thing you've ever seen?" He didn't know, but I remembered mine...

One time, when I was in grade school, I had a glow stick that I was playing with in my room in the dark. I guess I was biting it and bending it and stuff and it broke open and splashed in my eyes and mouth and all over my face. I ran to the bathroom and saw my reflection in the mirror before I turned on the light. My eyes were beaming back at me through the dark and so was my mouth. Even though I was freaking out and wondering if I was going to go blind, it was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

I thought this would be a cool topic to post on Modified... Because everyone has seen something pretty cool.

Now I ask you... What's the coolest thing you've ever seen? Maybe we can have a contest on who has seen the coolest thing?
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 21 Apr 2012 20:22

Kevin Crowley's picture he just posted in his blog
zach jahner

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Apr 2012 23:26

I'm gonna have to agree, that was one of the cooler things I have ever seen. It's now my desktop background :P

But I'm talking about things you have witnessed. Not pictures or videos. Think about it, Zach, then re-post something you have experienced :)
Nick Polini

Funblog

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 22 Apr 2012 07:30

Coolest things I've ever scene? Well, there are EVENTS that I've seen, and there are PLACES that I've scene, and then there are BODIES that I've seen...

Lets skip the last as been inappropriate for the young people around here, and skip the places since I'm sure that I just haven't seen all the incredible places on my list of incredible places to see (I've never even been to the Grand Canyon). Also, places don't seem quite appropriate to list anyway since, for the most part, they stay put and you can go back and see them again and again, but perhaps you won't feel quite the same way about them on subsequent visits.

That leaves coolest events. That seems like the most appropriate category, since, like Nick's glowing face, you just had to be there at the right time to see it, and the event can't easily be replicated.

1. Total Eclipse of the Sun in 1999 -- pretty much takes the cake -- makes you believe in God and massive Devine Interventions, or at least makes you understand why people could even dream-up such and idea and believe in it to begin with.
2. Meteor STORM in 2001 (or was it 2002 -- I can't quite remember now). Not just a meteor shower, a meteor STORM. 2, 3, or 4 shooting stars at a time, every few seconds another pair or trio...
3. Comet Hyakutake in 1996.

And speaking of Total Solar Eclipses, there will be one visible pretty much all across the United States on August 21, 2017. That may seem like a long way off for some of you, but I've been eagerly anticipating that event for much longer time, at least since 1999, but I think probably since much before then too. So, with only about 5 years remaining in the countdown, it feels like its actually getting very close now. I recommend that you all start making your plans. Don't be dumb and miss it (and I mean, don't be dumb and say "well, the PARTIAL eclipse is visible pretty much anywhere in the USA, so I'll just stay where I am and see the Partial Eclipse rather than getting up off my dumb ass and traveling to somewhere not that far away where I can see the Total Eclipse" --- Partial and Total are VERY different experiences and you'll never understand what the big deal about a total eclipse is if you've just seen a partial eclipse).
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Coolest Thing You've Ever Seen?

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Jul 2012 11:36

That's insane, Jon. I would love to see those things.

I'm convinced that I've see a UFO before too.

Anyone got anymore?
Nick Polini

Funblog

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 24 Jul 2012 22:00

This is going to take forever for me to figure out. I will start naming things off the top of my head.

Everything I saw while living in Brazil. That place is a fantasy land in my eyes. Especially encounter with a wild 3 toed sloth.

Snorkeling alone in Hawaii with a few sea turtles that matched me in size.

Staring at clouds below while flying.

Monsoon storms in AZ.

Watching my first footbagger in real life (Ken Somolinos) completely blew me away, same goes with Gatesman.

Life flashing before my eyes before being hit my a drunk driver (2008).

Brodyquest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM

Running into Eric from Tim and Eric Show last weekend. That guy is legendary to me.

This isn't really "cool", but I hallucinate regularly from Night Terrors. I have some great whoppers I can tell sometime in person (talking to animals in my room, bombs in my pillow, waking up running full speed, etc).

I will probably keep thinking about this. Expect more. I need to sleep.
Mike Green
footblog
kicking since Mar 27, 2011

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 24 Jul 2012 23:18

What a great way to start the day, reading about other people's cool experiences and then thinking up what were mine. Here's a bunch:

Perito Moreno. Videos and pictures don't do it justice. I was enchanted for hours when I was there.

Seeing Buenos Aires from the other side of Rio de la plata (tiny sky scrapers in the distance floating above water).

Tokyo

The night sky from a boat in the middle of the red sea - there's so much going up there that it's amazing to me that in a city night all I see is a handful of stars

I once saw a show of a favorite band of mine with only ~20 people in the crowd.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Jul 2012 09:46

WHATTT!??? Mike, you met Eric W???? So jealous. I liked Brodyquest lol the rest of that stuff sounds sick.

Roy, your experiences sound awesome too. What band did you see that had 20ish people in the crowd?

The band experience reminds me of some of my other cool experiences...

1) Seeing The Pixies just after they reunited (Pixies have been a very meaningful band to me since I was in like 9th grade. Seeing them was UNREAL
2) Seeing The Aquabats (That was the craziest show I've ever been to. The lead singer does backflips on stage, then they fight people dressed as monsters and then they threw pool rafts in the crowd and had 2 toddlers sit on them, and we, the crowd, raced them to the back of the room. That show was so fun.
3) Seeing Gogol Bordello (Eugene Hutz (lead singer) picked up the bass drum threw it into the crowd and then rode on it as we crowd surfed him across the venue. I got to hold the drum a few times.

Oh and this one was amazing. So last year my girlfriend and I were spending some time at PSU Arboretum in a dark corner, just having a nice romantic night, looking at the stars together. There was a lit up ledge about 50 feet away, which was closer to the entrance. We hear some kids come into the arboretum, like 10 year olds to highschoolers. We just keep going about our business since they wouldn't be able to see us where we were. Just then, one little kid jumps up onto the lit ledge, squats over a pot of flowers that was on the ledge and says, "I wish I was a girl so I could sit down when I pee." Nadiah and I heard it and busted out laughing. The kid freak out, points into the darkness where we were and shrieks, "THERE ARE PEOPLE OVER THERE!!!" And then we laughed even harder. That was awesome.

I might add more when I think of them.
Nick Polini

Funblog

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 25 Jul 2012 15:13

The band was Death by stereo!

Roy Klein

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 25 Jul 2012 15:27

Death by Stereo!

Awesome!

I have no idea who they are, but I know where they get their name from --- the big final showdown in "The Lost Boys" !!! Yeah! That movie was a formative film of my youth, and perhaps belongs here on this list of Coolest Things I've Seen (not really, not quite, but a cool flic none-the-less). Even Quentin Tarantino must like that movie -- Tim Roth mentions it in "Reservior Dogs" (which is almost surely a cooler movie than The Lost Boys, but not by THAT much...)
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Jul 2012 17:19

PoisonTaffy wrote:The band was Death by stereo!

NICE!

I have a compilation with them on it. Punk-O-Rama 8. Sick band. I like the one song they have on it, but I never got into them. I'm gonna check more of their stuff out now, actually. They were really good from what I remember. I love Punk music.

But, damn, the circle pits must've been a BLAST with only 20 people!
Nick Polini

Funblog

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 26 Jul 2012 01:04

Jon, this is how the first album starts: http://grooveshark.com/s/Intro/3n4P8g?src=5
Definitely not trying to hide where the name comes from. Awesome that you recognized it so easily!
It got me to see the movie, and I can testify that it does a good job standing the test of time.

The mosh pit was legendary, the vocalist participated it in. I got some mic time and talk with the band afterwards. At that point in my life they were my favorite band so the timing was just perfect.
Their first two albums are their best work, especially the first. Afterwards they slid to metal core too much for me. The first song of the first album: http://grooveshark.com/s/Sing+Along+Wit ... tIYc?src=5

Roy Klein

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 26 Jul 2012 04:42

I listened to that song while I made eggs this morning...

Pretty awesome egg-cooking music. I'm also downloading one of their alums now.

Thanks for the music suggestion. Can't believe I've never listened to any other songs but the one on that compilation. DBS is pretty sick.
Nick Polini

Funblog