Gay Marriage

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!

Should same sex couples be allowed to legally marry?

Yes
79%
No
15%
Undecided
7%

Total votes: 61

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Mar 2004 17:19

I think that's a stupid reason. If you were serious about that reason, you would oppose hetrosexual marrige because people can use it to do the same thing.

Whatsfootbag?
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Whatsfootbag? » 04 Mar 2004 17:41

well here's my .02....if the peopel truly do love each other even though some believe homosexuality etc is a state of mind,not something you're born with,let them marry.they love each other and show it.who cares if its out of the ordinary.so what if its not mainstream?does it affect you in any way?no so let them get married!

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 04 Mar 2004 18:12

Obviously heterosexuals are already doing the marriage for advancement thing . . .
so if Bill G and Steve J want to proclaim themselves deeply in love and form a civil union thats fine . . . Don't corporations already get together and cross license patented propeties to ensure they advance together at the expense of everyone else ?

--Tsiangkun

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 04 Mar 2004 19:54

I am all for gay rights, but not civil unions.

Clearly this topic has not been discussed here, so I'll try to clarify.

Calling it marriage is wrong obviously under religion, so non-religious folk call it a civil union. But a civil union under the law (were it legal) would grant same sex couples the same rights.

Good for gays, but imagine if Bill Gates and Ted Turner decided to get together and establish a civil union, or better yet Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

Together they would own a monopoly and get all sorts of marital kick backs. Not to much is mentioned on this subject.

What do you guys think?

Once again - For gay marriage, against loopholers after kickbacks.
Although I agree that there are disproportionally fewer women in such positions of wealth and power, it hardly validates the logical flaw in that. :wink:

the shagster
Shredalicious

Post by the shagster » 04 Mar 2004 22:40

i think if anyone really knows a gay couple who are struggling finacially who would understand why they would be pro-mariage meaning not all companies, actually only a minority of them, reconize domestic partnership.

oZonE-juNkie
Shredaholic

Post by oZonE-juNkie » 05 Mar 2004 06:43

As far as dragging religion into the equation - I think it's really inevitable (well, it's already happened of course). But, the problem, in my opinion, is how far behind the catholic church is in relation to reality in 2004. When I was growing up, in the 70s and 80s, you heard about stuff like "hell", "damnation", etc. Even at an early age ( I was born in 1968 ), this just smacked of lameness, to me. I couldn't believe in that crap. I mean, to me, the church was/is ripe with conflicting ideas. The concept of damnation conflicts with the idea of a loving/forgiving god.

Now, you here about "hell" a lot less in the church. It's taken time, but the church (according to my mom - a catholic school teacher) is changing. But, they're still obviously antequated in their thinkings. I personally cannot ever logically believe that being gay is a sin. It's possible, although improbable in the near future, that the church will change. In the meantime, priests will continue to have gay, illegal sex with minors, and hide their guilty.
John M
Fear is the mind-killer.

carl winslow
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by carl winslow » 05 Mar 2004 07:53

the church will change, i think that in a matter of years there will be woman priests and the celabacy rule will go away.
i would like to see how many gay marrages end in divorce i bet its no more than straight marrages

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 05 Mar 2004 10:22

I bet its much more than straight marriages, I got a buddy in my class who is gay and he was telling me that he's never heard of a gay relationship lasting for more than 2 months, in the Ottawa gay community if your in a relationship for 2 or more months then its pretty serious. Most gay people are arguing for the right to get married, its a small percentage of seriously committed gay couples that have been together for years that are just waiting to get married. Gay relationships break up much more often than straight relationships. If gay people are allowed to marry there will be more divorces..
Im not against their right to have legal equalities with heterosexuals when it comes to unions, but its true.
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 05 Mar 2004 10:29

Ryan wrote:Gay relationships break up much more often than straight relationships.

Do you have anything to back up that statement other than something your buddy said?
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 05 Mar 2004 11:13

Ryan,
This is such a sensitive issue and is set way back by those kinds of sweeping generalizations.
Seath wrote:I got a buddy in my class who is gay and he was telling me that he's never heard of a gay relationship lasting for more than 2 months, in the Ottawa gay community if your in a relationship for 2 or more months then its pretty serious. Gay relationships break up much more often than straight relationships. If gay people are allowed to marry there will be more divorces...
There is SO MUCH WRONG with everything you said.
First off you're talking about one opinion of one gay person in one town in Ottawa Canada. Sorry to say, but that isn't enough to generalize everything that followed.
If I had to guess based on you being in class with your buddy, I would say you are in the age range of 16-24. So please understand something very important... Most relationships in that age bracket, gay straight or otherwise, don't last much more than 2 months.
People today are getting into serious relationships and getting married later in life.
There are also many other factors to contend with when talking about Gay relationships. They are still not widely accepted by parents, friends, and the community at large or when placed in a public setting. Many Gay people do not show public displays of affection and live in fear of the social stigma that accompanies them. It is because of this that there are "closeted" gay people. Many gay relationships also involve one person who is "in the closet" and another who is not so there is a ton of secrecy involved. It is for these reasons and dozens more that gay relationships are not allowed to flourish like those of straight folk.

Seath wrote:but its true.
The only thing that's true about anything you said was :
Seath wrote:I got a buddy in my class who is gay and he was telling me that he's never heard of a gay relationship lasting for more than 2 months.
Everything after that was pure illogical speculation.
Old Skool

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 05 Mar 2004 13:04

You swing that way? Go for it. Why do I care what you do? Just don't jump on me if you are my same sex.
Chrissy Fryer

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 05 Mar 2004 13:38

Chrissy, it's that kind of stand-offish thinking that keeps the stigma against being gay alive. If you don't care, show that you don't care. Recognize the fact that if a gay person was making a pass at you, it may be meant as a friendly thing. Sure, it may be too friendly for you, but if they made a pass at you, certainly they saw something they liked about you. I have a straight male friend, and a gay male friend -- the homosexual one was enamored with the straight one, and he was horribly uncomfortable. If it were me in his situation I would at least try and take him being horribly enamored with me as a compliment. It's all about breaking down barriers... As hard as that may be. :\

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 05 Mar 2004 13:54

yea I generalise, thats all I got :(
I have no expertise im just guessing, disregard my comment, i was just talking out my ass on a topic that I really dont know much about. Whatever let em get married, as long as they stop their damn parade already :P
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 05 Mar 2004 15:17

Who gives a shit who people marry?
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 05 Mar 2004 15:57

I don't give a shit who marries . . .
I give a shit about who can not marry.

I think a society that holds the world hostage with a preemptive gun point should at least try to live up the rhetoric they force on the world. . . I'm increasingly tired of hearing about opportunity and freedom in a society that feels like a police state. I'm tired of freedoms and liberties being removed because terrorist hate us for those values. I'm tired of corporations claiming all the rights of a human and none of the social obligations. I'm tired of freedom of religion meaning catholicism or some other form of christianity. I tired of hearing about drugs funding terrorism. I'm tired of christianity dictating civil code in a country supposedly governed independantly from a state sponsored religion.

Tsiangkun for president in 2016 ,
Tsiangkun Tzu
--
My tax plan is simple. There are Z people in the country and Y corporations. The total taxable entities is Z+Y. The country needs X dollars a year to run itself, and produces W dollars a year. Each taxable entity has a income P. The tax code shall hereby be rewritten as
P*(X/W) for each taxable entity.

dragonhack
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dragonhack » 05 Mar 2004 16:13

just wondering if im the only one here that didnt grasp the concept of that....maybe if you dummied it down a notch for me! :wink:

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 05 Mar 2004 23:48

Splint wrote:First off you're talking about one opinion of one gay person in one town in Ottawa Canada.
Your Canadian Iformation Quip of the day: Ottawa is a city, In fact the nations Capital, in Ontario, one of Canada's 10 provinces and 3 territories.

any hoo, i'm pro gay marriage. winnipeg has a bustling gay/ lesbian scene and most people are very accepting of it.
A.G.

the shagster
Shredalicious

Post by the shagster » 05 Mar 2004 23:50

i dont know who brought up gay people hitting on starights but just to let you know. gays know usually if your gay or not.and very very few times do gays hit on straights.
- = j a s o n - w a d e = -

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Mar 2004 01:52

Tsiangkun wrote:I don't give a shit who marries . . .
I give a shit about who can not marry.

I think a society that holds the world hostage with a preemptive gun point should at least try to live up the rhetoric they force on the world. . . I'm increasingly tired of hearing about opportunity and freedom in a society that feels like a police state. I'm tired of freedoms and liberties being removed because terrorist hate us for those values. I'm tired of corporations claiming all the rights of a human and none of the social obligations. I'm tired of freedom of religion meaning catholicism or some other form of christianity. I tired of hearing about drugs funding terrorism. I'm tired of christianity dictating civil code in a country supposedly governed independantly from a state sponsored religion.

Tsiangkun for president in 2016 ,
Tsiangkun Tzu
Word! I'd vote for you on that post!

carl winslow
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by carl winslow » 06 Mar 2004 12:41

i dont know who brought up gay people hitting on starights but just to let you know. gays know usually if your gay or not.and very very few times do gays hit on straights.
Theres no way to tell if a person is gay or straight from just looking at them