Mitch Hedberg dies at age 37

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
HackingGanesh
Fearless

Mitch Hedberg dies at age 37

Post by HackingGanesh » 01 Apr 2005 10:51

Comedian and Actor Mitch Hedberg, 37, Dies

Fri Apr 1, 8:03 AM ET

Add to My Yahoo! Entertainment - AP Music

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Mitch Hedberg, a Minnesota-born comedian who worked in nightclubs, television and film in a wide-ranging career, died in New Jersey, his family said. He was 37.

Hedberg, who struggled with drugs and alcohol, died Wednesday in a hotel room in Livingston, N.J.

Pending the medical examiner's report, the cause of death appears to be heart failure, said his mother, Mary Hedberg. She said her son was born with a heart defect and frequently felt anxious about his condition.

Mary Hedberg said speculation that her son's death was drug-related was gossip.

"We don't know that for a fact," she said, but added, "it's not a secret Mitch used drugs. Whether that played a role in his death or not, we don't know."

A hit on "The Late Show With David Letterman," on which he appeared 10 times, and "The Howard Stern Show," Hedberg once was dubbed "the next Seinfeld" by Time magazine. But TV-series fame eluded him because his unique style of mumbled one-liners didn't lend itself to the sitcom format.

Hedberg delivered absurdist, random observations in a spacy staccato. His long, dirty blond hair harkened to the image of a 1970s stoner.

Jokes about Hedberg's drug use were a staple of his act. He took a hiatus from performing for several months after a May 2003 arrest in Austin, Texas, for felony possession of heroin.

Born in St. Paul, Hedberg rose through the ranks at Minneapolis' Acme Comedy Co. and caught his big break through a Comedy Central special.

His rambling, non-sequitur style often drew comparisons to Steven Wright, but Hedberg disagreed.

"If I made potato chips and put them in a can, people would say I was ripping off Pringles," he said. "But what if I put them in a bag?"

Hedberg had two popular comedy CDs, "Strategic Grill Locations" and "Mitch All Together." He acted in the movie "Almost Famous" — smoking fake pot with Peter Frampton — and appeared on Fox's hit series "That '70s Show."

Hedberg is survived by his wife, comedian Lynn Shawcroft, his father and mother, Arne and Mary Hedberg of St. Paul, and sisters Wendy Brown of Woodbury and Angie Anderson of South St. Paul.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... _hedberg_4

RIP Mitch, he was one of my favorite comedians. I dont know whether to believe its real or not since it's April 1st, but sadly I believe it is real.
Brian Damato
Hoboken, NJ
Stevens Institute of Technology

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 01 Apr 2005 11:49

8O this has to be an april fools joke. it HAS to be. I love listenening to mitch hedberg cds and me and my friends do nothing but spout mitch hedberg lines all day. Shit, this is terrible. RIP Mitch.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

delakong
BSOS Beast

Post by delakong » 01 Apr 2005 15:25

Was Mitch the guy theat wore those big blue tinted sunglasses on his Comedy Central Presents thing? If he was that's the worse thing I've heard all day. He was the funniest comedian I've ever heard. I've had the "you're a comedian, can you write?" joke stuck in my head forever. RIP Mitch. Say it ain't so.
Joshua Annis

"Don't Panic..."
"I woke wanting nothing more than a box of Gushers....
DENIED
I shake my first at the sky."-Matt Cross
"Yeah, seriously! When I got back into my cubicle Jazz started throwing dimes at me. What an asshole."-David Wilder

RRW13
Shredalicious

Post by RRW13 » 01 Apr 2005 16:57

this has to be a joke because im stunned to hear this

his poetry style comedy was amazing
Randy

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 01 Apr 2005 22:55

I dont know this guy... who did he play on 'That 70's Show?'
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

RRW13
Shredalicious

Post by RRW13 » 01 Apr 2005 23:29

well for the first one or two seasons of that 70's show mitch hedberg played a store owner of this small resturant which i for got the name of any way its where every one hung out at......
Randy

username
unorthodox jew

Post by username » 02 Apr 2005 19:22

oh man, he was one of the greatest, we'll miss you man, rip
I'm with Sergey...fuck adds

If u are flammable and have legs, u are never blocking a fire exit
-Mitch Hedberg, You were one of the best man R.I.P.
Nate Sherman

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 02 Apr 2005 20:17

APRIL FOOLS! ME AND BRAIN OWNED YOU GUYS! Mitch is staying at my house currently, he has a gig at the youth center in town.
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

itsanother
Shredaholic

Post by itsanother » 02 Apr 2005 20:29

lol!
TIM SHAN

LameR
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by LameR » 03 Apr 2005 00:28

HenryG wrote:APRIL FOOLS! ME AND BRAIN OWNED YOU GUYS! Mitch is staying at my house currently, he has a gig at the youth center in town.
http://www.instagib.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7314

Either this is a frequent "joke", or you're a complete douchebag.
-connor campbell
prosers-pros of the posers-
I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

username
unorthodox jew

Post by username » 03 Apr 2005 04:11

oh fuck
I'm with Sergey...fuck adds

If u are flammable and have legs, u are never blocking a fire exit
-Mitch Hedberg, You were one of the best man R.I.P.
Nate Sherman

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 03 Apr 2005 06:07

LameR wrote:
HenryG wrote:APRIL FOOLS! ME AND BRAIN OWNED YOU GUYS! Mitch is staying at my house currently, he has a gig at the youth center in town.
you're a complete douchebag.

thats the one 8) :lol:

Mitch was a funny guy, it wasnt right of me to joke about his death, sorry. But my uncle knew him personally (not joking) he went to high school with him, and they hung out. Sad to see him go.
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Tommy
The Green One

Post by Tommy » 03 Apr 2005 18:44

its really sad to hear about this, he was my favorite comedian...he had some of the most original jokes ive ever heard. i was gunna go see him live on april 23 its really weird that he died like the night i saw a commecial about it. RIP mitch.
Tom Gartland

-Beacon Footbag Coalition-