Season 1 - Round 1 - Sick 15 Competition! - Voting Closed.

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Season 1 - Round 1 - Sick 15 Competition! - Voting Closed.

Post by BalinorNZ » 24 Sep 2005 08:43

Season 1 - Round 1 - Sick 15 Competition

Posted below are links to two videos, one contains the entries to the Sick15 A Pool, and the other contains the entries to the Sick15 B Pool.

Voting is now officially closed for this months comp, there will be no more votes accepted for either of these events - current results are final.

Here are the links:
Pool A Sick 15 video can be downloaded here.
Pool B Sick 15 video can be downloaded here.

Current overall rankings:
Pool A: (10 votes)
1. Jorden
2. Aaron
3. Nathan
4. Chris
5. Dustin

Pool B: (10 votes)
1. Phil
2. Tom
3. Jeremy
4. Nic
5. Toby

Entrys:
Pool A

Jeremy O'Wheel (Hobart, Tasmania, Australia) Clipper > stepping pickup > pixie clipper > drifter >
double legover > pixie ss mirage > pixie clipper > ripwalk >
blur > smog > dimwalk > ripwalk > ripwalk > infinity > osis
Nic Bathgate (Dunedin, New Zealand) Legover > clipper > stepping legover > drifter >
ducking clipper > pdx mirage > fairy clipper > clipper >
spinning clipper > pdx mirage > fairy leover > mirage >
atomsmasher > fairy clipper > stepping clipper
Toby Suggate (Dunedin, New Zealand) Clipper > pickup > legover > mirage > pickup > smear >
legover > pixie clipper > pickup > clipper > pdx mirage >
infinity > whirl > pickup > infinity
Tom Mosher (Kingston, Ontario, Canada) Magallen > dimwalk > ripwalk > stepping legover > smear >
pixie legover > paradon > osis > pdx whirl > ripwalk > ripwalk >
pdx illusion > pixie legover > smudge > infinity
Phil Morisson (Christchurch, New Zealand) Barfly > blizzard > butterfly > infinity > spinning whirl >
osis > osis > infinity > mobius > infinity > ducking clipper >
ducking butterfly > osis > infinity > ducking osis

Pool B

Jorden Moir (Dundas, Ontario, Canada) blurry whirl > symp torque > far osis > infinity > double blender > infinity > ps whirl > spinning clipper > stepping mirage > forque > infinity > ripwalk > pdx torque > osis > infinity
Chris May (Medford, Oregon, USA) Smear > butterfly > pdx mirage > smear > butterfly >
pdx mirage > paradon > osis > osis > pdx mirage >
paradon > osis > pdx mriage > symp whirl > osis
Nathan Pipenburg (State College, PA) Parkwalk > blur > dimwalk > blur >pixie ss clipper >
drifter > pdx mirage > pixie ss osis >
pdx mirage > pixie legover > pixie clipper > drifter >
ss butterfly > ripwalk > pdx torque
Dustin Rhodes (Los Altos, California, USA) Infinity > infinity > osis > same clipper > osis > same clipper >
infinity > infinity > infinity > same clipper > ripwalk >
same clipper > ripwalk > sameclipper > stepping osis
Aaron Orton (Camp Pendleton, CA, USA) Dimwalk > blizzard > parkwalk > ducking butterfly >
ducking pdx mirage > ducking butterfly >
ducking pdx mirage > butterfly > ripwalk > sidewalk >
ripwalk > blur > legbeater > sidewalk

Special thanks go to:
:arrow: James Randall for hosting the competition videos on his IFPA account.
:arrow: Travis Montoya for his expert coding of the voting pages!
:arrow: Mike Hansen for hosting the voting pages and help with coding!
:arrow: Most importantly all the players for participating! Great Job Guys!

I apologize for the late release of this competition, luckily university finishes for the year in 4 weeks so I will have enough time to keep up with the flow of things then!. I hope you enjoy the sick15!
Last edited by BalinorNZ on 25 Oct 2005 04:50, edited 4 times in total.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Sep 2005 19:17

Awesome! I have a quick question - what's the procedure with this? Top 3 from each pool go to open and bottom 3 go to intermediate?

Pool A votes
This was very hard - especially because I'm in there and when it's close and you're battling with your own bias as well - that leads to confusion.

1. Phil Morisson
Looks tight - some hardish moves in their too, although no hard links

2. Tom Mosher
Good variety and both sidedness.

3. Jeremy O'Wheel
The 12 moves in the middle are solid - obviously the butterfly>osis and the clipper at the start are a bit soft. But hey - osis is a hard move for me :P. My aim was to just do enough to get into the next round of open so I think this run achieves that. Also the muted stuff is cool. Too many pixies/dex stuff. This was my second attempt at a sick 15 - I miscounted on the first attempt too :P. Also there is a slop out of the osis at the end.

4. Nic Bathgate
Good variety and both sidedness. Just the overall difficulty is a bit low.

5. Toby Suggate
nice control and variety. Obviously the overall difficulty does not compare to the others - still nice work competing!!

Pool B
Slightly harder overall difficulty in this pool I think.

1. Jorden Moir
Some hard moves and one semi difficult link to begin with. Fairly easily into number 1 spot I think.

2. Aaron Orton
Slightly lacking in variety but good none the less. Only 14 moves...

3. Nathan Pipenburg
Overall the most impressive person in any of these videos - I think everybody else were about what I expected them to be, but you really blew me away. Good both sidedness, good variety - your game looks really solid and impressive - definitely going to be a serious force in footbag.

4. Chris May
Solid but too many bail 3s.

Dustin Rhodes
Nice work - your game looks good - would like to see a few toe moves in their for variety sake. Nice work!!

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 24 Sep 2005 23:20

jeremy, thats oasis not osis :wink:

I think I was the first to watch and vote on them so I will comment now.

James Randall

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 25 Sep 2005 23:37

Good to see this competition is so popular :?

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 25 Sep 2005 23:41

It may have been too long of a wait, and people with dialup konw its going to take a LONG time to download.

I'm going to be at school tomorrow though, so hopefully i can cast my vote. In advance, great job nic.
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 25 Sep 2005 23:53

Voted.

Good luck to all!
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 26 Sep 2005 00:25

Shredster wrote:It may have been too long of a wait, and people with dialup konw its going to take a LONG time to download.

I'm going to be at school tomorrow though, so hopefully i can cast my vote. In advance, great job nic.
Yeah it has been poorly organised and come at a very bad time of the year, that coupled with the fact that the majority of people who said they would enter either didn't, or did but entered late :(.

The videos are only 17mb each! Not too bad, an hour each on 56k :D.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 26 Sep 2005 07:35

I will vote once I watch them again when I get home.

Props on putting this all together Nic, don't let the response get you down. It's really really really hard to make people care about stuff in life.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 01 Oct 2005 15:45

Sorry for not commenting earlier.

I voted the same as Jeremy O' Wheel for pretty much the same reasons.

Thanks for putting it all together, Nic. :)

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Season 1 - Round 1 - Sick 15 Competition! - VOTE NOW!!!!

Post by C-Fan » 06 Oct 2005 21:02

Finally got around to watching these. Thanks for throwing this comp Nic!

Is it top 3 go to open and bottom 3 go to intermediate? If so, I`ll just post the 2 divisions, and not rank them.
BalinorNZ wrote: [Pool A

Jeremy O'Wheel (Hobart, Tasmania, Australia) Clipper > stepping pickup > pixie clipper > drifter >
double legover > pixie ss mirage > pixie clipper > ripwalk >
blur > smog > dimwalk > ripwalk > ripwalk > infinity > osis
What I liked: both pixies, a triple dex, good mix of downtime and shuffle, and 90% genuine.

What I didn`t like: Clipper? Clipper?!? Come on J! The ending was also rather bail-y.

Final: This is enough to get you into the open category in the next round, but I expect a much stronger entry next time. Clipper?!? :P
BalinorNZ wrote:
Nic Bathgate (Dunedin, New Zealand) Legover > clipper > stepping legover > drifter >
ducking clipper > pdx mirage > fairy clipper > clipper >
spinning clipper > pdx mirage > fairy leover > mirage >
atomsmasher > fairy clipper > stepping clipper
What I liked: This was my first time seeing an actual run of yours, and I was impressed. Yeah, there are guilts, but clipper and butterfly are so similar, it didn`t really hurt your flow. I really liked the variety of sets in your game. You also seemed to be going full strength for the whole combo, like there was no filler or bails really, except the first link maybe.

What I disliked: You should have done more pixie sets and butterflies.

Overall: Very good entry, but not quite at the difficulty level of the top 3. I think you will do VERY well in intermediate in the next round.
BalinorNZ wrote:
Toby Suggate (Dunedin, New Zealand) Clipper > pickup > legover > mirage > pickup > smear >
legover > pixie clipper > pickup > clipper > pdx mirage >
infinity > whirl > pickup > infinity
What I liked: Good bothsidedness, nice mix of sets and downtime. You have come a long way in a short time. Good work

What I disliked: Nothing really. I thought it was a solid entry.

Final: Great entry, but the difficulty isn`t on the same level as the top 3. Good luck in the intermediate division! I look forward to seeing your progress in future comps.
BalinorNZ wrote:
Tom Mosher (Kingston, Ontario, Canada) Magallen > dimwalk > ripwalk > stepping legover > smear >
pixie legover > paradon > osis > pdx whirl > ripwalk > ripwalk >
pdx illusion > pixie legover > smudge > infinity
What I liked: Both pixies, a couple downtime 4s, osis-pdx whirl is stylish, and 13/15 bop free. This was another entry where it looked like you went all-out for the full 15.

What I disliked: The illusion on the smudge was "the" or thin. While both pixie sets is impressive, I would have liked to see maybe one or two less pixies in favor of a different set. It felt like half the combo was steps and pixies.

Final: I really liked this combo. Its top 3 for sure, and I think should make Open for next round.
BalinorNZ wrote:
Phil Morisson (Christchurch, New Zealand) Barfly > blizzard > butterfly > infinity > spinning whirl >
osis > osis > infinity > mobius > infinity > ducking clipper >
ducking butterfly > osis > infinity > ducking osis
What I liked: Man, great to see a long run from you. Your style kinda reminds me of Ales. I liked how both spinning 5s used different spins. Both ducks was cool, and you looked in control throughout.

What I disliked: I thought the blizzard was real thin. Over half of the combo was BOPs, which also hurts you in a Sick 15, unless you are using them creatively. I liked seeing the midstring 5s, but overall I felt the run was rather bail-y.

Final: The fact that you looked so in control, and that your combo was guiltless and had some hard tricks should put you in the Open category. But it was a bit of a close call between you and Nic, because I thought you only had one hard link, and it was thin. I know you can put up a much stronger entry for the next round.

Thanks to Nic for running the comps, and thanks to all who entered. I was entertained, and overall very impressed.

Edit: I changed my mind. I will rank the entries:

1. Tom Mosher
2. Jeremy O`Wheelj

3. Phil M
4. Nic Bathgate
5. Toby S.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Season 1 - Round 1 - Sick 15 Competition! - VOTE NOW!!!!

Post by C-Fan » 06 Oct 2005 21:38

BalinorNZ wrote:[Pool B

Jorden Moir (Dundas, Ontario, Canada) blurry whirl > symp torque > far osis > infinity > double blender > infinity > ps whirl > spinning clipper > stepping mirage > forque > infinity > ripwalk > pdx torque > osis > infinity
What I liked: I liked seeing a variety of 5 add tricks. I liked seeing pdx torque use the other osis. You looked as smooth as always.

What I disliked: 6 bops. Only one toe contact. It sort of felt like a collection of big 5s with filler in between.

Final: I thought this was easily the best entry in the pool, but I`d like to see your next entry have more links. Big moves are cool, but I`d rather see a few creative tripless links than big 5s followed by 2 bops, repeat.
BalinorNZ wrote:
Chris May (Medford, Oregon, USA) Smear > butterfly > pdx mirage > smear > butterfly >
pdx mirage > paradon > osis > osis > pdx mirage >
paradon > osis > pdx mriage > symp whirl > osis
What I liked: I liked smear both sides. More legit than say, pixie legover or dimwalk both sides. I also liked that you tried for paradon both sides.

What I disliked: 2/3 of the combo was BOPs. Especially egregious was the string that started after the second smear and led up to the second paradon, since the first paradon was "the." That`s essentially 6 bops in a row. Overall I thought the string was too easy, and the fact that 1/5 of the non BOPs was "the," it hurt your overall score.

Final: Props on going for bothsidedness. I also thought it was cool to see a controlled 15 string from you, because in your blog you said that recently string length was an issue. Good effort on this entry. I think it should go to the intermediate comp, as the top 3 in this pool were harder entries.
BalinorNZ wrote:
Nathan Pipenburg (State College, PA) Parkwalk > blur > dimwalk > blur >pixie ss clipper >
drifter > pdx mirage > pixie ss osis >
pdx mirage > pixie legover > pixie clipper > drifter >
ss butterfly > ripwalk > pdx torque
What I liked: both pixies, both blurs, ending on a hard trick.

What I disliked: I thought there were too many pixie moves. It helps they were both sides, but I`d like to see a couple less pixies, maybe replaced by some more downtime moves. You`re good at shuffle, but I want more than 2 non-BOP downtime tricks.

Final: Top 3 in this pool, nice work.
BalinorNZ wrote:
Dustin Rhodes (Los Altos, California, USA) Infinity > infinity > osis > same clipper > osis > same clipper >
infinity > infinity > infinity > same clipper > ripwalk >
same clipper > ripwalk > sameclipper > stepping osis
What I liked: Good control. Both ripwalks.

What I disliked: I want to see some toe moves. Even easy ones like pdx mirage or mirage would have helped. I thought that overall it lacked enough variety.

Final: Solid entry. You have a super bright future. The overall difficulty means you should probably end up in the intermediate round. Good stuff.
BalinorNZ wrote:
Aaron Orton (Camp Pendleton, CA, USA) Dimwalk > blizzard > parkwalk > ducking butterfly >
ducking pdx mirage > ducking butterfly >
ducking pdx mirage > butterfly > ripwalk > sidewalk >
ripwalk > blur > legbeater > sidewalk
What I liked: good both sidednes, good variety of sets, high add ratio, and a nice mix of toes and clippers. I thought the start and finish were particularly genuine, I liked that you didn`t peter out. Only one BOP!

What I disliked: I thought your first and last ducking tricks were the or thin. I would have preferred bails to BOPs over `the` ducks. I also think that the ducking sequence was kind of filler-esque, but maybe not for you.

Final: This should get you into the Open round. Overall very solid, almost no bails and good variety. Nice work.

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 07 Oct 2005 16:03

To ken:

My recent blog was stating what my problems were currently. That string was taken a year ago :)

Thanks for the comments though, if you were wondering why they were bops, its because a year ago, I didn't have difficult links. I can link harder now, but for not as long :(
Chris May

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 07 Oct 2005 16:41

Chris: have you tried schooling a set of non-bop links on both sides that you can bail with to make your runs longer?
Stuff like dimwalk>blur repeat / parkwalk>dlo repeat / blender > ss butterfly repeat / paradon > pdx dlo repeat... if you get like 10 contacts of each of drills like those then ur runs will go crazy :)

Thanks for your votes everyone! Ken thanks for your essay! I know I got alot out of reading that, it makes this competition all worth while to get an in-depth feedback like that, thanks ken.

I have put up the results so far.

I really don't know what will happen for next round, I don't know how many people are able to enter again or w/e so I think it will be best just to make it open and include entrys from anyone.
That leaves 2 options:
1. Start a new season and randomly sead the pools.
or
2. Finish this season(but with anyone who wants to enter) and split all entrys into open/intermediate depending on my judgement.

Any thoughts?

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 07 Oct 2005 19:26

Yes, I have been schooling things like that. If I can keep my current practice sessions up, watch out for a very explody shredster video.
Chris May

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 09 Oct 2005 16:11

I'll deffinatly do another one, I'm better now because my video was like three weeks before worlds or something. I'm ready for another round. :D
Dustin Rhodes

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 09 Oct 2005 16:25

id like to get in on this but i dont really check this forum very much. i guess i should start lol. tell me if your doing another one. i think sick 10 would be better./

oh, and i think we need more balance. its like, jorden takes some string from a worlds video and still dominates. why dont you pm honza or penske and get stuff like that? it would be more respected if you had a higher level of comp. not saying i didnt like the other stuff.
david

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 09 Oct 2005 22:54

david wrote:Why dont you pm honza or penske and get stuff like that? it would be more respected if you had a higher level of comp. not saying i didnt like the other stuff.
I have realised this all along, I PM people like Honza and Jim every month and they are eagar to enter the online comps which is great.
Jim informed me he was entering this months sick1 and sick3, but I guess he never got round to it. Honza has entered once and is keen to do so again, so as things get back on track I think you will notice much increased competition at open level, and as a result at intermediate level too. :)

I would love to see you enter the comps Dave, i'll try to shoot you a reminder before the next one ;).

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 25 Oct 2005 04:51

Votes counted, voting closed.

Congratulations to everyone who entered! Next Sick15 will be 100x as good as this one :D.

Results:
Pool A: (10 votes)
1. Jorden
2. Aaron
3. Nathan
4. Chris
5. Dustin

Pool B: (10 votes)
1. Phil
2. Tom
3. Jeremy
4. Nic