3rd Quarter Online Competitions Official Release!

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

3rd Quarter Online Competitions Official Release!

Post by Zeb Jackson » 23 Oct 2007 18:39

3rd quarter Modified Online Competitions Official Release!

Posted below are links to the video for each competition, each contains all the video entrys to that competition.

I encourage everybody to post in this thread with your predictions on how the ranking will go, and feedback on everybody's entrys. The players enter these competitons so they can find out what you think! Please let us know. Feedback on the editing, since these comps arent about being a great editor, if you have problems with my editing please pm me.

The judging of these competitions is organised by Max Boucoiran.

Novice Sick 1
25.79mb

Open Sick 1
27.28mb

edit: sorry forgot to add this one to the video.
John MacCormack's Sick 1

Novice Sick 3
18.83mb

Open Sick 3
21.33mb

Gielnicki's Sick 3 (I couldnt get his to work well with my editor it looked really bad, so i just uploaded it to .org instead)
.82mb

Ill upload sick 3 tomorrow when i have more time, but until then enjoy these!

Results:
Novice Sick 1

1 - Daniel Ramírez : Paradox Dada Curve
2 - Paulo Castro : Whirling Swirl
3 - Criswell Aveiro : Far Legover Heel
4 - Paul Gressett : Atomic ss Whirl
5 - Ronald Fariña : Symposium Whirl
6 - Jesus Ramon Torrealba : Double Round the World
7 - Andrew Dunford : Blizzard
8 - Christoph Alexander : Ducking Far Butterfly
9 - Kyle Tate : Kick Whirl Kick
10 - Moises Sanabria : Hop Over

Novice Sick3 results

1 - Cody Carter : Quantum SS Mirage > Tapdown > Zulu Clip
2 - Paul Gressett : Paradon > Whirl > Blender
3 - Paulo Castro : DLO > Ducking Butterfly > Whirl
4 - Criswell Aveiro : Whirl > DLO > Butterfly Swirl
5 - Nathan Cope : Paradox Mirage > DATW > DLO
6 - Kim Berg : Dimwalk > Ripwalk > Osis
7 - Ronald Fariña : Toe SS Whirl > Whirl > Drifter
8 - Daniel Ramírez : Paradox Mirage > SS Butterfly > Dyno
9 - Andrew Dunford : Butterfly > Osis > Ducking Osis
10 - Holly Mathews : Mirage > Butterfly > Paradox mirage

Open Sick 1

1. Will Digges
2. Anssi Sundberg
3. Lee Van Sickle
4. Maxime Boucoiran
5. Damian Gielnicki
6. Kevin Crowley
7. Pete Bowler
8. Mathieu Gauthier
9. Cody Carter
10. Jay Boychuk
11. Josh Munstermann
12. Zac Miley
13. Mikel Oroz
14. Brian Dennis
15. Nathan Cope
16. Ben Benulis

Open Sick 3

1. Will Digges
2. Josh Munstermann
3. Mathieu Gauthier
4. Ilya Volodin
5. Zac Miley
6. John MacCormack
7. Asmus Helms
8. Adam Sitarski
9. Brian Dennis
10. Sergey Gurckenkov
Last edited by Zeb Jackson on 24 Oct 2007 21:45, edited 4 times in total.

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 23 Oct 2007 18:55

OMG!!!!

Everyone was busting huge!

I'll post back again when I've decided who all I liked for sick 1 for both novice and open.

And will do the same for sick 3 when they come out!
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 23 Oct 2007 19:08

wow, so many big moves. everyone deserves props!!!!

will digges! damn!
was annsi's sick 1 all there? i cant tell.
very clean mr crowley, i like it!
i dont think jays was symple...he planted both feet...

go team venenzuala! nfb does one sesh comp filimings too!

man...my entry sucked.

maybe dont compress the files so much? im having a hard time discerning what is and isnt the from the frame rate (that, and the bad lighting on most entrys)

cmon zeb! upload the rest! :P

and thank you zeb. x10000.
Last edited by brinard on 23 Oct 2007 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 23 Oct 2007 19:08

pdx swifter wins
Mathieu Gauthier

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 23 Oct 2007 19:15

damn, willy diggs is good
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 23 Oct 2007 19:16

Thanks a ton Zeb!

Here are my rankings of sick 1(s)!!!!@!@!@!!

Open Sick 1
1. Anssi Sundberg - Spyro Diving Shaft - Dude. That's just ridiculous. Invention?
2. Will Digges - Sunilwalker Swirl - WHAT THE FUCK!?
3. Pete Bowler - Alpine Food - Hard to the. Hard to do. 7 ADDs. Props PEte.
4. Maxime Boucoiran - Gyro Barroque - Second dex there? Whatever. Hard trick.
5. Kevin Crowley - SuperDuperFly - Hella clean! Great style as well.
6. Lee Van Sickle - Pixie Fusion - Mad props Lee, you have like one of the best styles ever. you could really tell it was a sailing set too - I wish I could do that.
7. Damian Gielnicki - PDX Swifter - Dude wtf, crazy movements on that. Was the swirl there though?
8. Cody Carter - Alpine Slap - I envy your ability to duck anything Cody.
9. Jay Boychuk - Spinning Ducking Swirl - Spin was pretty bad. The rest was good though, nice job Jay.
10. Mathieu Gauthier - Marius - Torque was a bit pulled, but overall was executed well.
11. Josh Munstermann - Alpine Blurry Whirl - Like the beard. Maybe a slurry step, but it was good.
12. Mikel Oroz - Tomahawk - Looked a little easy.
13. Brian Dennis - Ripped Warrior - Nice, the butterfly at the end was meh. Good job.
14. Zac Miley - Slapping DOD - The. Whatever.
15. Nathan Cope - Smog - I didn't like the pixie, but the rest was good.
16. Ben Benulis - Spinning Ducking Mirage - I don't think I would call that a duck, but props on making Open anyways Ben!

Novice Sick 1
1. Daniel Ramirez - PDX Dada - Wow! Clean DADA! Super crank! No Lavers! Perfect!
2. Criswell Aveiro - Far Legover Heel - Man that's so hard! And awesome!
3. Paulo Castro - Whirling Swirl - Wow. South America is exploding!!! Props man, clean!
4. Paul Gressett - Tapping Whirl - Yeah man! Try and set your atomics more straight, it will make the Whirl cleaner.
5. Andrew Dunford - Blizzard - Step was a little slurry, but w/e. Props.
6. Ronald Farina - Symp Whirl - Not hard. Looked good though.
7. Jesus Ramon - DATW - Hard to the, nice.
8. Kyle Tate - Whirl Kick - Cool little take on what a whirl is, I like it.
9. Cristoph Alexander - Ducking Butterfly - Finally someone does a clip set ducking butter in novice! Nice job!
10. Moises Sanabria - Hopover - Easy move. Fun one to do when starting out though.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Oct 2007 19:30

I would rather see a cleanly executed 3 than a slurry/froggy/thin 6.

Some very nice tricks in this comp. In some cases the quality of the footage was bad enough that it's really hard to tell about cleanliness (pdx swifter comes to mind).

In viewing order, not ranked:

* Anssi. Stylish and hard trick. Spin was clean, duck was great, and the DOD... looked OK. A bit hard to tell even in slow mo.

*Kevin C. Spin was OK. But if you're going to film a superfly or double down trick, you should film it from a lower angle. Filming these tricks from above makes it really hard to tell about the dexes. If this were a shred vid I wouldn't mind, but if you are trying to hit a specific trick on film, its important to think ahead of time about what the best angle will be.

*Mathieu. Great set, decent torque. The osis at the end was a bit pulled; you could have rotated your hips more on the torque. That said, I thought this was one of the best entries. Good work.

*Max. Great trick. Hard to tell about dex #2 without a zoom. That said, the timing looked good, so I'd give it to you. Awesome trick. Buuuuuuut.... where's the seal?

*Mikel: duck was fine, but the whirl was "the."

*Damian: great trick, and I would put this above some of the tricks with more adds, but the camera quality really hurts this. Luckily, pdx swifter isn't a trick that you can "the" very easily, but still, the camera quality hurts it.

*Jay. I thought the spin was pretty froggy. The rest looked fine, but the spin hurts it a lot.

*Lee. Again, camera quality makes it hard to tell how clean the last 2 dexes are. But just by eyeballing the timing of it (looking at your body and not seeing the bag), I think the last dex isn't there.

*nathan cope. Great execution. Your pixie is textbook.

*Brian. Looked pretty good. The move on the whole could have been tighter, but I assume you submitted it because it's a new big trick for you. Looked clean to me.

*Zac M. Same as Lee.

*Cody Carter- again, camera quality issues. I can't tell if the quantum set is around your shoe or your ankle. This makes a big difference to me, because these comps are at least 50% execution to me.

*Pete. Nice! Looked good to me.

*Ben. Good trick, but I think the duck was thin/"the." The set off the spin was too high, which affects both the duck and the mirage.

*Willie. Crazy. Good.

*Josh. Set looked good, duck was good, whirl looked good. Very nice.

Zeb: USA should be all capital letters, or none. Preferably all.
EDIT: fuck it, here's my rank for top 3:

1. Willie
2. Anssi
3. Pete.
Thanks for submitting tricks, and thanks to Zeb for running this show.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 23 Oct 2007 19:56

ZEB thanks for getting these out so fast.

Hahahaha I totally BS'd my way into open :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great to see all the new Venezula players. BIENVENIDOS!!!

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 23 Oct 2007 20:01

pls dont blame me for quality, i did the best i could to preserve the quality of the entrys, i had to change the file extentions of a few entrys from .mov or .avi to something else so that i could actually work with it. So for someone that cant use apple based entrys i thought i did pretty decent.

If you want i can upload Geilnickis to here so you guys can vouch for cleanliness, but i saw it and i thought it was pretty clean.

thanks Ken, ill keep that in mind ;)

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 23 Oct 2007 20:11

hey zeb, a really nice video converter i use is isquint. im pretty sure its freeware. if brian, lee, and i would have known you needed a different file for better quality, we would have changed it for you. ill keep it in mind next time.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 23 Oct 2007 20:12

C-Fan wrote: *Cody Carter- again, camera quality issues. I can't tell if the quantum set is around your shoe or your ankle. This makes a big difference to me, because these comps are at least 50% execution to me.
He doesn't the his quantum. It's usually somewhere between his calf and his ankle. I have the file somewhere if you want me to upload it again?
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 23 Oct 2007 20:17

yeah next time, ill label what prefered file extensions and stuff for me are, its cool though ill get better this is the first time ive fully ran this by myself ;)

the fram rate is really close to what it is, and the quality went down, but i dont think people want to dl 4, 100+ mb files i mean if you do then hey ill upload them, im just trying to help people out :P

but thanks guys, like i said if you read above......pm me with your editing issues, ill take them to heart, i want to make the comps a good experience for everyone! :D

to convert i used this...

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 23 Oct 2007 21:20

I've developed a new judging system for ranking. It works like this:

First, you list all the players on paper as they appear with their corresponding move.

Next, without considering execution, you write out the ranking as if everyone had perfect form (so only rank based on what the trick is).

In this case, I wrote:

Anssi, Lee, Will, Damian, Max, Cody, Pete, Jay, Kevin, Josh, Mathieu, Zac, Ben, Brian, Mike, Nate.

Then, watch the video thoroughly and give an execution point score for each trick (10 is a perfect trick and 0 means no trick).

Everyone starts out with 10 points (this is what we assume). For every execution error you deduct 1 point (i.e. off-balance, thin dex, thin duck, bad posture, flat-footed, body strain, etc.). Deduct 2 points for missing elements (i.e. the dex, the duck, spin before set, no seal, etc.).

This is what I thought:
Anssi(6), Lee(7), Will(10), Damian(10), Max(6), Cody(5), Pete(6), Jay(9), Kevin[8], Josh(7), Mathieu[8], Zac(6), Ben(7), Brian(5), Mike(6), Nate(6).

This is the rough guideline I used for ranking:
If the player's number is one of more higher than the player to the left, they move up one spot. If the player's number is 3 or more higher than the person 2 ahead of them, they move up 2 spots. So Will, Damian and Jay all move up 2 spots.

Rankings:

1. Will Digges
Perfect form, 4 dexes, never seen before, difficult. WOW!

2. Damian Gielnicki
Perfect form, 2 dexes, seen before, very difficult.

3. Lee Van Sickle
-3 points (thin 3rd dex(1), the 4th dex(2))

4. Anssi Sundberg
-4 points (thin 1st dex(1), 2nd dex froggy (2), stall carried into xbd(1))

5. Max Boucoiran
-4 points (thin 1st dex(1), heely stall(1), no seal (2))

6. Jay Boychuk
-1 point (unnecessary plant after spin(1))

7. Kevin Crowley
-2 points (spin before set(1), thin 1st dex(1))

8. Pete Bowler
-4 points (initial clipper: no magic hop(1) and not lowering the body to cushion(1), gnarled hands(1), bad posture after duck(1))

9. Cody Carter
-5 points (hopping to catch initial toe stall(1), not using hips for quantum(1), thin duck(1), not using hips to mirage(1), off-balance(1))

10. Mathieu Gauthier
-2 points (spin before set(1), osis caught with foot perpendicular to ground(1))

11. Josh Munstermann
-3 points (initially flat-footed(1), stepping a bit slurred(1), thin whirl(1))

12. Ben Benulis
-3 points (not straightening knees to set(1), set too high(1), thin duck(1))

13. Zac Miley
-4 points (thin 1st dex(1), the 2nd dex(2), off-balance(1))

14. Mikel Oroz
-4 points (planting support foot heel-first(1), no magic hop(1), extra plants during duck(1), thin whirl(1))

15. Brian Dennis
-5 points (slurred step (2), bad posture after duck(1), not using hips to dex the butterfly(1), off-balance(1))

16. Nathan Cope
-4 points (pixie leg lifted too high(1), bad posture during set (1), not using hips to dex(1), bad posture during dlo(1))

There you have it. I don't know if this method is too critical or if it's descriptive and helpful. Either way, please let me know.

JM
Jorden Moir

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Oct 2007 21:33

Interesting concept for a judging system. I think it's a bit harsh to deduct for planting on certain tricks, when it isn't standard to hit them muted. Tomahawk and spinning swirl, for example, are usually done with a plant, and nobody bats an eye. Can they be hit muted? Yes. Are they stylier that way? IMO, yes. Should points be deducted for planting on them, when the plant is intentional? In my opinion, definitely not.

On an unrelated note, when you say that sunilwalker swirl has "never been seen," do you mean by yourself personally, on video by the public, or in general terms? Was there ever some San Diego vid (by Maraxus) where Jason Crook hit this? I can't recall.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 23 Oct 2007 21:37

nice scoring system Jorden,
I really should have entered just to get a critique of my trick, meh maybe next time.

Props for all the great entries, looks like the standard has gone up :D

And huge props to Zeb for getting this out so quickly :D

Cope
Shredalicious

Post by Cope » 23 Oct 2007 22:13

Awesome entrys this comp! Really high standard. I was not expecting to make open. Very stoked!
Nathan Cope

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 23 Oct 2007 23:38

This was a really well made video Zeb. It really has a sick feeling to it man. I feel like I am watching people all over the world doing something I love!!!! OH WAIT I AM!

1. Will Diggs
2. Anssi

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Oct 2007 23:53

I kind of borrowed Jorden's ranking system.
It was really hard for me, because I don't really care about thes, or anything like that all that much. I thought almost everything was fine and I enjoyed watching them all. The Fairy pixie thing was incredibly the, and that's the only one that would have bothered me if I wasn't supposed to be judging anyway. I tried to score with other objectives too, like, "off-balancedness", but I couldn't be consistent.

One thing that is always weird for these comps is the fine line between novice and open... like, to me whirling swirl is way harder than smog or tomahawk... of course that's different to everyone else, but who is the judge? Did they submit themselves to their respective categories, or did Zeb decide?

Anyway, here are my open results:

1) will, sunil swirl
2) anssi, gyro diving shaft (hard to tell cleanliness) -- looks like Felix (+1???)
3) jay, spin duck swirl (-1 foot hit floor)
4) max, gyro barroque (-2, the, drop)
5) damian, pdx swifter
6)lee, sailing dod (-1 the)
7) pete, alpine food
8 )kev crow, super duper
9)john, fairy pixie paradon (-3 lots of thes) (I find it hard to place this one, but I left it nearer to the top mostly based on Jorden's idea of placing them by awesomeness before execution...)
10) zac, slapping paradon (-1 the)
11) joshua, alpine blurry whirl
12) mathieu, marius (-1 pulled)
13) cody, alpine slap
14)brian, ripped warrior (-1 sloppiness?)
15) ben, spin duck mirage (-2 missed duck, sloppy)
16) mikel, tomahawk (-1 the)
17) nathan, smog

Shredinger Z
Shredalicious

Post by Shredinger Z » 24 Oct 2007 02:06

Erik Chan wrote:
One thing that is always weird for these comps is the fine line between novice and open... like, to me whirling swirl is way harder than smog or tomahawk... of course that's different to everyone else, but who is the judge? Did they submit themselves to their respective categories, or did Zeb decide?
In my opinion Zeb has decided finally which tricks are in which competition, novice or open. I just think that because I'm completly sure that I have sent my Sick one to novice competition. I post a message in the topic of the competition just after send the video.

I agree with Erik ¡n what he said about whirling swirl, I think that my trick is much more close to the other tricks of novice than of those HUGE tricks in open.

Anyway, is my first competition and I'm proud of have entered this one, thanks to everyone who has submited videos, thanks to Zeb for edit it all, and thanks to everyone that post their opinion.

Now, I'm gonna try to talk about every move:

OPEN SICK 1. (in order of appearance)

Anssi (Spyro Diving Shaft) Good set, everything clean, maybe at the double dex in the end, I didn't see the footbag clearly so I can't assure it's clean, but in my opinion is not 'the'.

Kevin (Symp Scorpion's tail) Great trick, well balanced and I think that is clean.

Mathieu (Marius) Osis landing of the trick is a little forced, but really like it.

Maxime (Gyro Barroque) Wow.. the quality of the video is not very good so I can't tell if there are any "the" dex. The drop at the end, in my opinion is just bad luck, the bag goes straight up and you can't catch it because touches your chest.

Mikel (Tomahawk) Well,it's hard to critique oneself because you can't be completly objective. I think that the set is good, the duck very clean and maybe the whirl is a little bit 'the'. Well balanced and clear hand catch

Damian (Pdx Drifter Swirl) I just can't see the bag until you catch it with your hand, the ilumination of the room is very very bad.

Jay (Spinning Ducking Far Symple Swirl) Next to be perfect, well balanced, clear hand catch, good spin and duck, but as Erik said, the swirl foot touches the ground.

Lee (Pixie Atomic DOD) Maybe a little forced, and you finish a little bit balanced to your left. As in Anssi vid, I can't assure the cleanliness of the DOD, but I think it is clean.

Nathan. (Smog) Great trick Nathan, I think that your trick and mine should compete in Novice, but anyways, great pixie set, but the last dex of the DLO is a little weak. Very well balance, keep kicking dude!

Brian (Ripped Warrior) The stepping set was perfect for me, the duck is maybe a little bit low, you force too much the neck, and the butterfly was a little weak. Good balance and PERFECT hand catch.

Zac (Slapping DOD) Good quantum, but I think that the last dex of the DOD was a little bit "the". Everything else, perfect for me.

Cody (Alpine Slapping Mirage) The mirage at the end was a little bit forced, but it's a HUGE trick.

Pete (Alpine Food Processor) The darkness of the vid doesn't allow to see if the last dex was "the" or not. Also, the duck, in my opinion is a little bit forced, your neck should be higher.

Ben (Spinning Ducking Pdx Mirage) The set is not straight up, and that makes your duck missed. Good balance of yourself, but you move too much from the point where you start the trick.

Will (Sunilwalker Swirl) As in Damian's trick, the ilumination is very very bad. I can't make an opinion if I can't see the bag clearly.

Joshua (Alpine Blurry Whirl) In my opinion is good, not percet balanced and the whirl is a little bit "the", as in my trick.

NOVICE SICK 1

Criswell (Far Legover Hell) WOW.. that's very difficult! Props, everything perfect.

Daniel (Pdx DadaCurve) Without lavers, without unnecessary steps, AWESOME MAN!!!!

Jesus (DATW) The final catch is a little not centered on the foot, but great trick. Very clean dexes.

Kyle (Whirl kick) The dex is good, but you didn't stail the bag.

Moises (Hopover) Well done. But a little bit weak in compairson to the other competitors.

Paul (Tapping Whirl) Great atomic, the dex of the whirl was clear enough. Congratulations

Paulo (Whirling Swirl) Perfect. Nothing bad to say about it. Perfect move.

Ronald (Symp. Whirl) Good set, and clear dex, but your stail is a little bit weak, next to a kick.

Andrew (Blizzard) I can't see the bag very clear in the illusion, but is quite good.

Christoph (Ducking Butterfly) Great! For me is perfect executed.

I didn't make a ranking, just talked about the tricks.

Of this competition I can get 2 or 3 things.

1st. There must be a limit or something said before people send their videos, because in my opinion, there are 2 tricks in open that should compete in Novice, and at least, one was sent to Novice competition.

2nd. Whirl is a move that some people need to see it perfect dexed before the foot catches the bag, and some others look it good, even if the dex finishes just 0'01 seconds before catch. Is something about opinions.

3rd. Every competitor should try to take the best ilumination for the tricks, is quite difficult to judge if you can't see the bag.

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT ENTERED, EVERYONE THAT GIVES HIS OPINION, AND THANKS TO ZEB FOR HOSTING THIS COMPETITION.
Mikel Oroz

www.footbag.es

- Why do you play footbag?

- Because every time I go to a session, I go home with just enough small success experiences for me to come back next time... "Rasmus Rendsvig (Denmark)"

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 24 Oct 2007 03:52

Wow, Anssi's trick is now one of my dream moves. Although I am not a judge of any sort, he'd 'take the cake' in my book.

I can't wait to play with Will again, I forgot how much I envy his ability to do everything so damn smooth.

On a personal note, I thought I "fixed" my froggy spins, (as, if you could believe it, they were once much worse) but apparently not. I still don't see what is wrong with it, so I'm going to go to Cornell this weekend and tell everyone to rip me apart so that, well, I can do spins well.

As for the "symple" element of the trick, I know I do "symple swirls" for far swirls, and I did it the same way, and my swirling foot pushed off, so I assumed it was symple. I guess it wasn't the best symple there ever was, if at all? Someone clarify so, well, I don't mix stuff up.

Anyway, I'm impressed with everyone's video, especially that Ben made it into open! I really like the idea of online competitions, and I can't wait to see how much everyone has improved next round.

Oh, and an afterthought. How in the world can one pull of a pdx swifter? I just went through it in my mind, and I don't think my hips/knees can operate that way :|
Jay Boychuk