3 Quarter Modified Online Comp Official Realease!

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 02 Dec 2008 22:35

Ok here are my results for Sick 1. I've included the initial comments that I wrote down as well as some comments about why each move is ranked where it is.

1. Josh Gayhart; Symposium quantum atomic butterfly
Initial comment; Excellent.
Comments; Firstly I wanted to say I titled this with atomic in reference to atomic being a far op out in relation to the previous component (except when pdx). Clean dexes, great footwork, looks very controlled out. Not only one of the hardest tricks in the competition, but also in my top 3 best executed as well.

2. Max Buocoiran; Spinning pdx whirling swirl
Initial comment; Nice clean whirl. Good set but moved away.
Comments; This was really hard to place. There were probably 6 moves that could have beaten this. However the main reason is that the execution is better for this.

3. Mathieu Gathier; Gyro eggbeater
Initial comment; Clean! Great control
Comments; Definitely a lot easier than some of the moves following this, but basically perfect execution - the best executed move in the competition, and I'm probably a little bit generous because it is so rare to see hard clean eggbeater moves. Max's move was not as well hit (but only marginally), but a lot harder, so I had to put that above this.

4. Brian Bosa; Atomic ducking double down
Initial comment; Fantastic duck. Stall before 3rd dex is complete. Stall on toey part of shoe.
Comment; I think you need a more vertical movement at the end of the dexes, but this move was still really well executed and a really hard move - Good Job! Would have placed in the top two if the 3rd dex had have been cleaner.

5. David Garcia; Stepping ducking double down
Initial comment; Really clean stepping, great ducking, very thin last dex.
Comment; The execution of the stepping ducking is impeccable, it's just a shame about the last dex. Finished this high due to the really clean stepping ducking set, and would have finished higher if the whole move was as razor sharp.

6. Alvaro Martinez; Spinning ducking paradox whirl
Initial comment; not much spin on spinning set -> rest looks perfect and easy.
Comment; Another trick to finish a lot better because of execution rather than difficulty. This trick looks ridiculously easy, and apart from setting and then spinning a little better, it's hard to imagine hitting this much better. Not really comparable in difficulty with the tricks above, but way better execution than the more difficult tricks below.

7. Brian Sherril; pendulous ducking symposium reverse whirling cross body rake.
Initial comment; A collection of questionable components but looks cool and well hit. I'm not in a good position to judge tricks like this.
Comment; I think my initial views summed it up. I'm not convinced there is such thing as a clean reverse whirling rake - the half spin that everybody does with this, including Brian, counter acts both the dex and crossbody, which basically makes it a gyro toe stall with flair. Still perhaps the problem is the names rather than the trick, although I've always found symp reverse whirling rakes very easy without ever practising them. I ranked it here because it appears to be well executed, I'm just very dubious of the difficulty and the tricks below this are either poorly executed or clearly easier.

8. Mark Monistere; Spinning ducking paradox torque
Initial comment; Great duck. Catching foot not at all flat, hence drag and bad set out.
Comment; A very technical trick, but unfortunately the impressive thing about this, and the main source of technical difficulty is spinning back against your momentum for the torque. If you don't do this enough you end up with a nasty drag of the bag instead of a catch. Low result due to not spinning enough on the torque. All the tricks above are better executed and comparable difficulty.

9. Nic Bathgate; Fairy same side double pickup
Initial comment; Get a hair cut. All dexes look great. Set not straight out. Distracted by mullet.
Comment; Well hit move, nice to see clean fairy and clean dexes. Not of the difficulty of above moves, also I'm fairly sure you hit fairy op double pickup for one of these comps a few years ago, which is harder (not that I consciously judged on this).

Rest of results to follow, probably tomorrow, as I need to go home.

Also I'm an official judge for this apparently. Please ask questions or "bash" me verbally if you don't agree with my comments :) Please also donate money to Nic so he can get his hair cut.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 02 Dec 2008 22:35

Zac Miley wrote:I manned up the last couple times and I just got sick of it.

1. Peggedlegbeater (14.8 ) - I thought the quantum was really close to the, and not sympy enough.
2. Pendulous Ducking Symp Reverse Whirling Rake (14.7) - Really cool and underrated trick just because people don't like rakes. Even though it was a bad angle, I took off for the rev whirl because it looked too vertical (rather than actually going around the bag).
3. Alpine Marius (14.55) - The beginning and end (spin and osis) were pulled. No one will really call you on it unless it's a sick 1, but whatever. Good trick.
4. Alpine Fusion (14.5) - Really really good. Only minor balance issues which I took off a little bit for.
5. Pixie Flurry (14.45) - Barefoot and the third dex was thin-ish.
6. Phasing ss Symp Whirl (14.25) - The symp whirl was thin/borderline the. So was the fairy.
7. Spinning Whirling Swirl (14.2) - Just off balance and looked really lucky.
8. Mantis (14.15) - Very minor balance issues, and maybe a thin illusion dex? Kind of a bad angle.
9. Backside Rasmus (14) - The symp mirage was really bad - more rakey than symp mirage almost.
10. Leviathan (13.8 ) - Sort of off balance and the last dex was the.
11. Maelstrom (13.65) - Spin was slurred and the duck was a tiny bit too high.
12. BS Blur (13.25) - Pretty good, nothing major wrong with it.
13. Tripwalk (12.9) - A good tripwalk. I took nothing off for it, it just wasn't as hard.
Sure. I think that Peglegbeater is the hardest trick of the bunch, followed by Pixie Flurry and then there's a big jumble of tricks. Pixie Flurry got 5th because it was barefoot, there was a definitely thin dex, and the balance was a bit off. Peglegbeater won even though the quantum was not the best. Pendulous blah got 2nd because no one does tricks like that and the execution was pretty good, even though the rev whirl might have been iffy. Alpine Marius - well executed and hard, Not much else to say. Alpine Fusion got 4th because it was virtually perfectly executed, although not as hard as some of the other tricks. Phasing ss Symp Whirl got 6th - it's hard enough to get a high placing (as well as styly enough), but the whirl and fairy were both bad. Spinning Whirling Swirl is really hard, but the completely off balanceness brought it down. Mantis was nearly perfectly executed. I'd put it at about 4th least difficult, but the execution really brought it up. BS Rasmus was low because of the symp mirage and the duck, the symp mirage was way too rakey and he turned, the duck was too high. Leviathan was the, not much else to say. Maelstrom I think is an overrated 6 add, and the spin was really slurry. The bottom two were just easy tricks (no offense, keep at it guys!).

Also, I probably sound really harsh when I type all that stuff out. I'm not.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

TheLast
Fearless

Post by TheLast » 03 Dec 2008 04:52

Zac Miley wrote:I manned up the last couple times and I just got sick of it.

1. Peggedlegbeater (14.8 ) - I thought the quantum was really close to the, and not sympy enough.
2. Pendulous Ducking Symp Reverse Whirling Rake (14.7) - Really cool and underrated trick just because people don't like rakes. Even though it was a bad angle, I took off for the rev whirl because it looked too vertical (rather than actually going around the bag).
3. Alpine Marius (14.55) - The beginning and end (spin and osis) were pulled. No one will really call you on it unless it's a sick 1, but whatever. Good trick.
4. Alpine Fusion (14.5) - Really really good. Only minor balance issues which I took off a little bit for.
5. Pixie Flurry (14.45) - Barefoot and the third dex was thin-ish.
6. Phasing ss Symp Whirl (14.25) - The symp whirl was thin/borderline the. So was the fairy.
7. Spinning Whirling Swirl (14.2) - Just off balance and looked really lucky.
8. Mantis (14.15) - Very minor balance issues, and maybe a thin illusion dex? Kind of a bad angle.
9. Backside Rasmus (14) - The symp mirage was really bad - more rakey than symp mirage almost.
10. Leviathan (13.8 ) - Sort of off balance and the last dex was the.
11. Maelstrom (13.65) - Spin was slurred and the duck was a tiny bit too high.
12. BS Blur (13.25) - Pretty good, nothing major wrong with it.
13. Tripwalk (12.9) - A good tripwalk. I took nothing off for it, it just wasn't as hard.

you forget Nic and another guy be sure to add thier to your ranking bro
Paulo Castro

TheLast
Fearless

Post by TheLast » 03 Dec 2008 10:41

The Sick 3 video is now working...
Paulo Castro

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 03 Dec 2008 10:42

Jeremy wrote: Initial comment; A collection of questionable components but looks cool and well hit... I'm not in a good position to judge tricks like this.... I've always found symp reverse whirling rakes very easy without ever practising them.
Thanks for thinking it looks cool and well hit, i am more of a style shredder so that's important. I think it is probably very difficult for anyone to judge this trick, since no one really does pendulous stuff, but I do think the difficulty of pendulous ducking is underestimated by most, esp. when setting up for x-body symposium anything. I also think that symp rev. whirling rakes are pretty easy, but much harder out of duck. the angle doesn't show my rev. whirl well at all, soo i'll re-shoot it for fun :)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 03 Dec 2008 14:34

By the way, there is nothing quantum about peglegbeater.
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.

EoghanMcDowell
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by EoghanMcDowell » 03 Dec 2008 15:05

Yeah i was just about to post that. Isn't peglegbeater a warping butterfly? Meaning a symp eggbeating butterfly. I'd figure this move would win, as i think I've only ever seen Chris Pinkus hit that set.
Eoghan Patrick Morgan McDowell

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 03 Dec 2008 15:17

Oh.

I guess it does go in.

Doesn't change my rankings.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 03 Dec 2008 21:02

I didn't know what it was, so assumed it was a quantum dex from previous posts :P. It would be good if the tricks could be better described in the videos though, especially with unusual things.

alvarojunka
Hack Fiend

Post by alvarojunka » 04 Dec 2008 06:01

excuse me for my stupid question ... but are we gonna get a final ranking?, I mean , is there an official list of positions? I know zac an jeremy are official judges but they haven't an oficial list made by them ...

thanks again for your job , for me it's an important exercise to know my weaknes and improve my game...

I hope made my self clear hehe...My english it's not so good.

TheLast
Fearless

Post by TheLast » 04 Dec 2008 06:36

Is not a stupid question alvaro....

Zac is not a official judge..
Jeremy is

and yes there will be a final ranking just give sometime to the judges...
Paulo Castro

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Dec 2008 17:37

Sorry, I'm hopeless. I lost half my notes for the event. I'll pull my finger out and get the rest of the results done asap.

Sick 1 cont.

10. Adam Greenwood; Atomic ducking symposium mirage
Initial Comment; Big turn on symp mirage
Comment; If you spin on a symp mirage, I call that unclean. You might be a little unlucky, given that I played so much with Lynton Stephens as well, who can hit this trick ridiculously easily, so maybe I have high expectations (although I obviously tried to not let stuff like that influence me). Still it is a difficult trick and you finished ahead of a few people with better execution because of that. Try to hit all non spinning tricks facing in the same direction before and after.

11. Camilo Moreno; fairy swirling same side symposium whirl
Initial comment; Questionable fairy set. Move away from bag after move -> off balance.
Comment; I'm not convinced that the fairy set was clean at all - it looks like you do the dex above the bag, rather than around it. I gave you a tiny amount of benefit of the doubt, otherwise you'd finish a lot lower, but you should be hitting a much deeper dex. I was really really close between this and Shota Nakano, which is a better phasing set but in the end I decided that symp mirage is just too much easier than symp whirl. Alpine witch is much harder than this, and the execution of the two moves was fairly similar.

12. Shota Nakano; fairy swirling ss symposium mirage
Initial comment; thin fairy set. Kind of rakey symp mirage but due to nature of set, so I'm not sure much can be done. Higher set and knee lift would be good.
Comment; Because a phasing set means the bag is behind you after the set, it's difficult to get a good symp mirage out, so you need to work a little harder on it than for something where the bag is in front of you. If you had have executed this slightly better I would have placed you at least one spot higher. Still fairly well executed and mainly just lacking on difficulty..

13. Joonas Korhonen; Quantum Butterfly
Initial Comment; Looks easy for you -> well hit.
Comment. Good execution. Easy move. Finished this low due to being fairly incomparable in difficulty to the rest of the competition. Definitely the easiest move anybody hit though, so did well to move up a few places due to execution.

14. Matthew Bailey; Stepping paradox symposium mirage
Initial comment; looks ok but a bit uncontrolled at the end.
Comment; Another easy move that couldn't compare to the higher difficulty stuff. The lack of balance on the symp mirage is the main reason the quantum butterfly beat this.

15. Jeremy Masselis; pixie flurry
Initial comment; Barefeet. 3rd Dex very questionable. Poor set out.
Comment. I'm calling the 3rd dex the, which is why I've put this last. I also think the set out is pretty poor and that doing this trick in barefeet makes it significantly easier. Perhaps a little unlucky to finish this low, but I feel that people should at least review their videos before submitting them, and you need to be able to recognise when your own tricks are not clean.

Jayjoo
Shredaholic

Post by Jayjoo » 11 Dec 2008 10:49

Damn!
and you're an official judge ,right?
re Damn !
Jeremy Masselis

Shred addict !

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 14 Dec 2008 20:56

Im curious if the rankings will take much longer? 8)
SHRED HARD!

TheLast
Fearless

Post by TheLast » 15 Dec 2008 11:17

Jazzkid wrote:Im curious if the rankings will take much longer? 8)
hmm well Sry guys but really is this moment i have no time for modified...

It will take sometime for the final rankings
Paulo Castro

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 22 Dec 2008 13:03

Jeremy wrote:Please also donate money to Nic so he can get his hair cut.
LOL!! I got a haircut like 2 weeks after that video was taken :).

You're right, I did hit fairy op double pickup 2 years ago for sick1, coincidently I stopped playing for the last 2 years, just getting back into footbag now :). Fairy same double pickup is still pretty easy, I probably should have tried for something harder!

Thanks for doing those rankings J, it means a lot to hard a good explanation like that.

Would love to know what you think of my sick 2 and 3, I think they were a fair bit better than my sick 1 ;).

Ps. Thanks Paulo for re-editing the videos to put me and my friends entries in! I know how annoying it is ;).
I will be more careful to make sure you got them next time!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 01 Jan 2009 22:58

Good Job.

Sorry I'm such a shit judge, but here are my sick 2 results :)

1. Adam Greenwood
Pixie weaving catwalk > Spikehammer
Initial comment; Awesome link. Well executed. Bit awkward on mirage.
Comment; It was very close for the top two. In the end I gave this top spot because I thought it was slightly more controlled than number 2, which was still well hit. The difficulty of the top two is definitely comparable and both are interesting and varied combos.

2. Nic Bathgate
Fairy ss dlo > Fairy ducking whirl
Initial comment; Sick. Not great control at end. Leaning away. Great fairy sets!
Comment; Really cool combo and if you were just a little more on top of the final whirl I would have given this first place. Probably slightly easier and more conventional than 1, but also doesn't repeat any components (while 1. repeats the duck). Also a good variety of toe and clipper difficulty - although the same certainly applies to 1. as well.

3. Brian Sherrill
Pendulous refraction > gyro diving osis
Initial comment; Stylish and well executed. Difficulty? Is that pendulous? Shouldn't you face the same direction and the bag come over the shoulder?
Comment; Good stuff and a solid entry. I don't really think the difficulty is up with the other two though. Pendulous refraction doesn't seem a great deal harder than just a normal refraction. The gyro diving osis is cool and I liked the combo but you'd need a harder first move to be in the top 2. I did actually get up and try the combo a few times to see just how hard it was. Could hit the first move easily, but couldn't execute the second as well as you did - but then I don't think I've ever hit a pendulous move until today so the fact that I could hit your combo with no drilling tells me it's an uncommon but not difficult link. I would struggle to hit the first two at all.

4. Jeremy Masselis
Pixie ss legover heel > heel pixie ss legover.
Initial comment; Stylish but way too easy. Muted magellan > muted magellan.
Comment; What is it with the French and heel stalls? A cool combo but really no where near the difficulty of the above. Especially because it's the kind of combo that is not very intricate, so fairly easy to fluke. Lacking "sickness" so to speak. Also both moves are almost identical.

5. Josh Gayhart
Sumo > Alpine smog.
Initial comment; Poor difficulty link. Terrible dlo -> needs higher knee lift, no spin! and earlier legover. Set out sucks.
Comment; By poor difficulty link I mean that the first move is much much easier than the second. It should have been alpine sumo to alpine smog or something along those lines. Sumo is a very easy 5 and alpine smog is a very difficult 5. I also don't think it's hard to pixie duck out of a mirage. The reason the set out of the dlo is bad is because the legover is late and just a twist of the knee rather than a proper legover. Good form on a DLO is facing the same direction before and after the move and also having your feet continuing to largely point in the same direction - not having the legover foot point outwards while you're dexing. Of course this means you need to jump higher and with more energy on the dlo, but it also looks a lot better and is a lot cleaner. Regardless of this form issue, the set out is barely there. I ranked this so far down mainly because of the execution. Despite the difficulty disparity this was the hardest combo anybody hit.

6. Mathieu Gauthier
Tomahawk > Diving whirl
Initial comment; Shit stall on diving whirl. Repetitive combo. Not straight set up. Twist.
Comment; Not a very good combo selection as both moves are essentially identical. There's barely any difference between them. I also think it's a very easy link - ducking whirl to diving. The execution was also not very good. The set out of the tomahawk is not straight up and this forces you to twist around to get the bag in a better position. The stall for the diving whirl is also not well timed and this leads to a poor set out. Better executed than the combo above, but the difficulty is so much harder for that that I couldn't put this above (although it was close). Everything else is better executed and of comparable or harder difficulty.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 01 Jan 2009 23:32

Sick 3!!

1. Jeremy Masselis
Bedwetter > Smoke > Riptide
Initial comment; Great stuff! Bit of a spin on bed but everything looks great.
Comment; Excellent variety and relatively difficult links as well. I would say the hardest moves and the hardest links of any combo, but also one of the best executed, so easily first place.

2. Mark Monistere
Phoenix > Pdx Torque > Pdx Torque
Initial comment; Great duck on phoenix. Torques a little dragged but ok. Very solid.
Comment; The next three places is insanely close. I should have maybe just called them all equal. This combo impressed me the most for it's execution though. Probably the best executed combo although 1. is far more difficult. Pdx torque>pdx torque is a relatively hard link and probably harder than the links in the other combos, although they both have some more difficult moves.

3. Adam Greenwood
Witchdoctor > Phoenix > BS Blur
Initial comment; Atomic set not straight. Twist on bs blur mirage. Good trick selection though.
Comment; More difficult that the combo above and below but let down a little by execution. Still a very good sick 3 combo. Every component is unique and shows good skills both sides. Good job.

4. Nic Bathgate
Fairy ducking mirage > Legbeater > Blurry whirl.
Initial comment; Awesome fairy set. How does the bag get passed the hair? Good mirage although leg could be straighter. B whirl set not straight. Whirl looks rushed.
Comment; Also a great combo. Not as difficult as any of the combos above and execution no as good as 1 or 2 either, but comparable with 3. I tend to think mirages should have a straight leg perpendicular to the ground and you should hop "across" the bag - rather than pushing the knee in and the foot out. Although I should say that the majority of my mirages are not good form despite hours and hours of trying to get them right.

5. Kim Berg
Spinning ducking clipper>whirling swirl>far swirl
Initial comment; Great form. Easy. Last swirl stall is too far back on foot and so set out is not so good.
Comment; A well hit combo apart from the last move. Just too easier compared to above. None of the links are particularly difficult although it's good to see a good both sided combo and it does look both stylish and well executed. All unique components as well, which is good.

6. Matthew Baily
Blur>dimwalk>ripwalk
Initial Comment; Blur set not straight. Neither is other stepping. Too Easy.
Comment; Obviously not at the same difficulty of the above. Try to set straighter with stepping. Good variety of components for level, although perhaps a non shuffle move would have been good - blur>dim>ducking butter.

7. Kenta Kurose
Pickup>butterfly>pdx mirage
Initial comment; Good pickup. Butterfly looks a little awkward. Set out toooooooo low.
Comment; Obviously a novice entry, so I feel kind of bad comparing it to the opens, but whatever. Obviously a lot easier than the combo above. I thought probably slightly harder than the combo below. Execution is about the same.

8. David Suggate
Pixie legover > butterfly> mirage
Initial comment; Spin on plo. Set of butterfly not straight. A little hunched.
Comment; With all moves that don't have a real spin in them you should aim to set the bag straight up and move across it so that you're still facing in the exact same direction - the little twist on the plo should be avoided. The plo is harder than all the moves of the combo above but butterfly>mirage is too easy a link. Butterfly>pdx mirage would have put this up a place.

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 07 Jan 2009 13:46

Hey J, thanks for taking the time to rank these :) I really appreciate your professional opinion, especially in relation to style.

You're a good judge!