DIVISION 1 COMPETITION #1 -POLL CLOSED! COMMENT NOW!

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 09 Nov 2004 09:50

Yo Posi-Cole, I think the winner is pretty clear...

The votes have also not really changed that much, and even then, the winner is still pretty obvious.

Just thinking it may be that time to shut the poll down.
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 09 Nov 2004 10:45

Shredster wrote:Yo Posi-Cole, I think the winner is pretty clear...

The votes have also not really changed that much, and even then, the winner is still pretty obvious.

Just thinking it may be that time to shut the poll down.

Yep, it was my plan to close the intermediate and open polls today.

They are closing at 10pm Eastern today as it says in the first message.
Cole Hobson

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 09 Nov 2004 19:08

Alright folks, this first open competition is over ..

So the floor is yours ... Go ahead and talk freely...

Who did you vote for? Why did you vote that way? Is there someone you would have liked to have voted for but just couldn't overlook one combo? Was Jeremy's combo really that much better than the rest? Which combo do you think didn't get enough respect? DISCUSS!
Cole Hobson

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 09 Nov 2004 20:19

Wow! Great job everybody!

I was torn between Jeremy's and Byrin's combo. I liked the spins in Byrin combo but Jeremy's just was.... whats the word.... um, It flowed nicly and he hit some big moves. So, I voted for Jeremy.

I also think Anssi's video needs to be regonized. I really liked it.
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 09 Nov 2004 20:32

lightingbolt wrote: I also think Anssi's video needs to be regonized. I really liked it.
I agree, big ups Anssi, that was a really cool combo, and if not for Jeremy's the variety and and unique sets, I would have voted for you. Your ducks were really clean and you had really good height on your paradox torque - props.

All the combos were really good now that I think about it. Way to go everyone, despite the lopsided vote, this was a really fun competition. Everybody get something on tape to beat Jeremy for next time :)
Cole Hobson

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 09 Nov 2004 21:54

I voted for Sergey, just because Double Spinning Clip is so hard (I find), and he ends the combo with a Spinning Pdx Blender. If he could've put a more difficult trick inbetween, I think he would have done a lot better though.

It was a close call for me, though, between Sergey, Jeremy, and Ryan. I think my decision changed 10 times after I placed my vote :?
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Nov 2004 22:29

Like I posted in the Division 2 thread, I want to first give big props to everybody who entered and submitted a video. Firstly, I thought all the combos were good. I also recognize that for some people it takes some courage to put out a video which will be judged and criticized. Finally, I also recognize that its one thing to talk about playing footbag, but to get off your ass, hit a combo on film, edit it and get it to Cole... that`s a completely different thing. So in my book, you`re all winners. Now onto my harsh critique of everybody. I expect no less from you all once I enter.

I voted for Jeremy`s combo. I saw it as difficult set-difficult set- semirare flipside set. Everything looked cool, and the first two tricks were legitimately big. Most importantly, I thought they were difficult links. I also recognized that the sailing and shooting sets were both clean, and were `opposite` in terms of the order of dexes. The dex on the torque looked good, and flip pixie torque isn`t bail-y at all. Also, he played out of every trick with a set, which shows he had good control after each move. I can hit paradox torque, pdx blender, or ps whirl off of almost any uncontrolled clipper, but in order to step or pixie out of a trick, I have to hit it solid first.

In my opinion, Jeremy`s combo clearly won this competition. If he wins again, he should move up to Division 0.

I thought the second best combo was ThomASSs. The mobius was fine, the dex on the pdx blender was deep, and the motion was one of the cleanest I have seen. The only knock against it is that all 3 tricks used the same osis, and overall I thought the combo favored the same spinning direction and one leg did all the hard work. Also, the links weren`t that difficult, in that the 3 moves link relatively easily together.

Byrin`s combo was good, but I definitely wish there were slow-motion provided. The dex on the paradox blender looks like it could have been deeper, it looked (on my computer) like the dex was around his laver. Spins were in the same direction as well. I also felt that the links weren`t that hard, in that they naturally flow together pretty well.

I thought Anssi also had a nice combo. But I broke it down mentally as easy five-cool 4-easy but stylish 5. I gave him points though for doing a dexing-ducking trick, and the zulu also gave him good style points. The paradox torque looked beautiful, I think he hit it real nice. That said, I didn`t think the links were that hard, and the moves could have been harder. But very importantly, I thought it looked really good.

Sergey`s combo was hurt a lot by the second trick. Double spinning clipper is hard and stylish, which makes it a good first trick for a sick 3. But the spinning butterfly in the middle broke the flow of the combo for me. Spinning pdx blender is cool, so if the 2nd trick were harder, he would have had a real shot in my book. The other slight problem I had with the combo was that every trick used the same direction spin.

Chris May`s combo could have been harder I thought. Blur-atom is a nice link, but not hard enough for Division1. The dolomite could have been deeper too. The image quality wasn`t so good on my computer, but it looked a little thin to me.

I really hope none of this comes off as harsh. I just wanted to explain my thought process in the hope that it helps people understand what I (as a spectator and judge) look for in a sick 3. Maybe it will also inspire people to try harder stuff for the next round. I thought this round was good, but given that you have as many tries at home to hit your combo as you want, you should really hit something that`s really hard for you, and that is indisputably clean.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Nov 2004 00:37

I voted for myself :oops:

I think the battle for second was really good. I've been guiltless for as long as those guys have been playing so I think they all hit awesome stuff.

Byrin hit is first ever 5>5>5 on tape for the competition. I know everybody says "fuck adds" - but that's still an awesome milestone. It was a very stylie combo too. I think Kevin pointed out that the pdx blender looked like it was zen too - although I'm not sure if accidental zen's are good! - Anyway it was an awesome combo.

Thomass's was pretty equally cool. I don't think I've seen him link 5>5>5 before. I would have given it to Byrin over Ryan, just because I think scorpion's tail is harder than motion. Overall I think Ryan had more control over the bag than Byrin - Especially Byrin's link into the pdx blender - but Byrin's one on the scorpion's tail.

Anssi's was very cool. He has perfect looking ducks and a really good pdx torque. Also zulu butterfly is definitly as hard as some five adds. I think the moves weren't as hard as other peoples combos - but he probably would have won if we just judging the coolest combo - rather than the hardest. (actually that's a big call but I'll stick with it :D )

Sergy's was one dex away from getting very close to winning I think. If he had have hit double spinning clipper>scorpion's tail>spinning blender - I think things would have been closer. I still think I would have held out with hitting a fairly bothsided combo with tough links - but I think alot of people would have voted for his on the style of the moves - everything looked really good - he was just killed by the spinning butterfly.

Chris' was good. I think he was in a tough position since he would have easily one intermediate - but the combo wasn't quite up to the same standard. It's nice to see some footage of him (he hardly seems to post these days) and it's definitly a good combo. I thought the dolomite was good - but could be deeper. My view on symp double downs is that it's always possible to hit them deeper. But dolomite is very hard move - I think maybe even hardest of the different set symp double down moves (some people would say shaft is harder but I tend to do a little hop before I do shaft so I can bounce on it - dolomite is just straight into it)

I thought my combo was good. I thought the last pixie set wasn't as good as it could have been - it was a low ankle/shoe dex and off to an angle but nobody seems to have noticed that. Because I've been playing so much longer than all those guys (like 3 times as long) I did feel a little like I was sandbagging.

My next combo will be harder!! :twisted:

Atom
Multidex Master

Post by Atom » 10 Nov 2004 02:33

i'm a noob to all the technicality of all the larger footbag moves. So I voted for Anssi because I could see him stand almost in the exact same spot and drop it like it was hot! ( figure of speech boys! :wink: )

I'm afraid I had no clue what jeremy was hitting until Mr. Suderman explained it. But I still would have voted the same way.
Adam Czarnata
-Parkin cars on footbags since '04

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 10 Nov 2004 04:30

I voted for Jeremy because his combo is huge.
I've seen the other combos countless times (so to speak) from a host of different shredders. This does not make the combo any easier nor does it take any merit off these people but I had never seen someone do

shooting mirage > sailing mirage > pixie torque.

I also voted for Jeremy because individually all his moves are very hard. I would have to try at least 20 times to hit any of the three (with a possible exception for the last one). Also the first two are hard to hit clean let alone link.

So well done Jeremy.
As for the other sick 3s. Here is what I remember: I thought the symp. paradon was a bit thin (not the), and as Ken said the blur > atom smasher could have passed in intermediate (and won). Although I'll hand it to Chriss May: you did not sand bag this event! and that takes balls!!

Anssi's pdx torque made my jaw drop. I still don't understand how that trick can be hit that clean.
Byrin and Ryan had some big sick threes that as Ken pointed out were fairly similar. As I mentionned above I seem to have seen these two combos before because of all the "who can link 5s" craze!
Sergey: were you going for a scorpion's tail in the second link? That would have made a huge difference and I think I remember that you have scorpion's down pretty easy no?

It's too bad I could not get my video out in time! I would have gotten spanked nonetheless by most here!

Well done participants, and well done to the people on modified that have made this happen.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 10 Nov 2004 07:01

I already posted, but I just wanted to give my thanks to Ken and Jeremy for the critique. It really gives someone (like me) who has never competed in any sort of Sick 3 some direction for next time!
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

ebo
Unexplained Bacon

Post by ebo » 10 Nov 2004 07:20

I like your lawnmower, Jeremy.

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 10 Nov 2004 11:42

Yeah thanks guys :) I really would have tried for a harder combo, but I have a few excuses:

I noticed that the video was due the next night and I had no time for a combo the next night...

I had no time to think about a harder combo

I haven't played that much lately so my skill level is drastically going down, but mostly because of:

My bag is completely flat now and I have no sand to refill. My other bag is awaiting a repair by my mom because it has a small hole in it and my sand would surely leak out...

However, I thought that blur > atom smasher > dolomite was OK. The dolomite was what I thought would have put me into the open class. I knew the blur > atom smasher was weak.

And i don't think dolomite is that hard :wink:

Anyways, yeah, next time I will plan longer and try and bust a bigger combo for you guys :)

Byrin's Combo was truly impressive. I liked how easy he hit the first two tricks, but I was slightly dissapointed at the pdx blender's control. However, being his first ever 5 > 5 > 5 and based on his relative low time of playing, I had to keep this combo in mind for voting.

Jeremy's combo was incredibly impressive, though I did not vote for him. It was really awesome with 2 back to back hard triple dexes and a pixie torque. I think the pixie torque was what dissapointed me the most, but it isn't an easy trick anyways. I thought this combo was the most advanced out of all of them, but I think I was looking for a little more...

Anssi's Combo was really good too! I liked the variety, but the zulu butterfly seemed a little weak compared to his other tricks. However, I loved the combo anyways.

My combo, I've already stated. First two tricks weak, last trick good. Not good enough for open, too good for intermediate. I had fun anyways :) I'm glad I got 2 votes.

Sergey Pikalov, I voted for you. Though all of your moves were spinning moves, the double spinning clipper isn't seen much, and the spinning paradox blender looked so easy. I chose this because the combo was executed so easily and with style.

Ryan Thomas, I loved this combo, but it seemed like Byrin's combo in a way and I thought Byrin's Combo was slightly harder. Though you did show more control throughout your whole combo, I could not consider this my best voting option. I loved the motion though :)

Anyways, though I voted for Sergey, and though I may have said things like "a little weak, not too good of control, couldn't consider my best voting option", keep a few things in mind: This is coming from the last place finisher, and I still think all of your combos were really great! I am just only stating what I thought could have been better and what I thought was the best.

If I had to rate all these combos in order:

Sergey: 1st
Jeremy: 2nd
Byrin: 3rd
Ryan: 4th
Anssi: 5th
Chris: 6th

Which is almost how the poll shows, with the exception of sergey at 1st. It was a really close one between sergey and jeremy though for my vote.

PROPS TO ALL! I am enjoying competing with you and I hope next time i can present a better sick 3.
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Dr. Jones
Multidex Master

Post by Dr. Jones » 10 Nov 2004 12:04

C-Fan wrote:I voted for Jeremy`s combo. I saw it as difficult set-difficult set- semirare flipside set. Everything looked cool, and the first two tricks were legitimately big. Most importantly, I thought they were difficult links. I also recognized that the sailing and shooting sets were both clean, and were `opposite` in terms of the order of dexes.
first of all, i voted for jeremy too.

but, i when i was just watching the combo for the 10th time, in order to look closer at that pixie set, for which jeremy kind apologized for, i accidently paused the vid at the beginning of the first move and saw the blue glowing bag in front(!) of his knee...!

please, tell me if my senses are all dizzy dusted, or it`s truely a sumo.
jeremy, you moving so fast, one can hardly tell what you`re doing.
so, c`mon people! freeze that blue bag on your media player and recognize: it`s in front of the knee!

anyway, it`s one of the sickest sick3`s i`ve ever seen...!
"I´m not a player, I just play a lot!"
-Johannes Korff

--> http://www.george.bush.has-a-small-penis.com <--

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 10 Nov 2004 12:18

Last edited by FlexThis on 13 Jul 2005 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 10 Nov 2004 12:31

I also voted for Jeremy. Just because I thought it's the best. :P

Thanks people for commenting on my combo. :)
Dr. Jones wrote:jeremy, you moving so fast, one can hardly tell what you`re doing.so, c`mon people! freeze that blue bag on your media player and recognize: it`s in front of the knee!
The blue dot is in front of the leg, but the bag is behind.

Liam
Multidex Master

Post by Liam » 10 Nov 2004 12:33

Dr. Jones wrote: please, tell me if my senses are all dizzy dusted, or it`s truely a sumo.
jeremy, you moving so fast, one can hardly tell what you`re doing.
so, c`mon people! freeze that blue bag on your media player and recognize: it`s in front of the knee!
This is just because when he edited the video to highlight the bag on slo-mo, he failed to un-highlight it when a dex was being performed, hence it looks like the bag is in front of the leg when it isn't. All dexes were very clean! If possible slo-mo the second attempt (ctrl + shift + s in windows media) and you'll see.
Liam Johnston

Palmy rules still apply

Dr. Jones
Multidex Master

Post by Dr. Jones » 10 Nov 2004 12:36

ah, ok! that explains stuff. thanx ana_li
(lol, ich glaub ich geh kaputt! sprichst du deutsch, oder was?!?)
"I´m not a player, I just play a lot!"
-Johannes Korff

--> http://www.george.bush.has-a-small-penis.com <--

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 10 Nov 2004 12:46

Ja, ich spreche deutsch.
Bitte, geh' nicht kaputt! :D

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 10 Nov 2004 13:00

I voted for Jeremy as well. Those links are simply crazy, and he executed them perfectly. If we ever get more video of Mr. O'Wheel I think he might become one of my favorite players.

I give mad props to chris for competing in open!
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)