DIVISION 1 - COMPETITION 3 - POLL CLOSED! DISCUSS!

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

DIVISION 1 - COMPETITION 3 - POLL CLOSED! DISCUSS!

Post by Posi-Cole » 01 Jan 2005 21:45

This poll is now closed. Thanks to all who voted, and congratulations to Vandall for taking home the crown. I look forward to the next competition, hopefully it will include both Vandall and O'Wheel so they can duke it out for top spot on the leaderboard. The leaderboard will be updated soon.

Results are as follows:

Derek Vandall
69% [ 36 ]
Nick Laroche
19% [ 10 ]
Michal Biarda
11% [ 6 ]

Total Votes : 52

Videos are in order received:

Derek Vandall
Fury > Pixie Paradon > Blurriest
http://www.hackrifice.com/derek/Fury-Pi ... rriest.wmv

Michal Biarda
Dominatrix > Toe Blur > Darkwalk
http://www.footbag.p2.pl/video/MichalBi ... ition3.avi

Nick Laroche
Whirr > Grifter > Grifter
http://www.footbag.org/media/513/nick_sick3_1.mpg
Last edited by Posi-Cole on 11 Jan 2005 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
Cole Hobson

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 01 Jan 2005 22:39

I wasn't able to download Cod's...

But from what I've seen so far, this is going to be a close one. :)

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 02 Jan 2005 00:17

i also couldn't see cod's video.

nick's combo is cool and is very very stylie, but i think he could have gone way bigger. i can't tell if the second dex of the whirr is clean or not. his foot doesn't go completely behind the bag at the end of the second dex, which is what says clean for me . i would have liked to have seen it deeper.

derek's combo is hard, all tripple dexes, which is more what i expect from this level, and he seems to do it very well. is filmed from a little far out, and the lighting isn't great, so you can't quite tell how clean every thing is. the pixie paradon looks a little awkward, but i maybe it's just the angle and the lighting. i would like the next one not to be filmed closer with better lighting.

my vote goes to derek mostly because of the difficulty and wow factor of all tripple dexes.
A.G.

Cod
Flower Child

Post by Cod » 02 Jan 2005 02:04

I don't know why you can't download my vid. I uploaded it into new serv, so try this one:

http://www.cod.tubywaj.pl/footbag/video ... ition3.avi

Nick's Whirr seems to be a little "the" :(. Derek's sick3 seems to be super hard :D. My vote goes for him :).
Michał Biarda (Me-how Be-r-da)

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 02 Jan 2005 07:15

Please let me know if you are still unable to see Cod's video for those who couldn't.

If that's the case, I will upload it as a WMV and see if that works.

Or if anyone feels especially keen and wants to do it anyway, go ahead.

Anyway, hopefully that second link worked for those who can't see it - It really is a sweet combo to see!
Cole Hobson

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 02 Jan 2005 11:17

yes this one works cod. nice combo! i like how you also mixed your sets up a bit. a very cool looking combo.
A.G.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 02 Jan 2005 13:39

I still am unable to see Michals vid

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 03 Jan 2005 00:23

I hate to say it because I liked the combo best, but Nicks Whirr wasn't clean on the second dex.
Old Skool

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 03 Jan 2005 12:52

Nick can blame me for not filming while he hits is big combo's!
Mathieu Gauthier

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 03 Jan 2005 13:33

Its no big deal, it was just sloppy, my next one will be better. Dereks was pretty bad-ass!
Nicholas Laroche

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 03 Jan 2005 20:27

Yeah it's definitly a shame I couldn't enter - I think it would have been close.

I voted for Derrick - I thought his combo was definitly the hardest - the links are definitly genuine. I did find it impossible to see how clean the combo was - infact I couldn't really see the bag at all - I think the angle it was filmed from sucked - but I have no reason to doubt its cleanliness either.

Cod was second in my opinion - better variety than Derrick - but not the same difficulty at all. If the toe blur had have been something a tiny bit harder it would have been much closer I think - maybe toe fog?

Nick's combo - regardless of the cleanliness of the whirr - was definitly the most stylish. However I don't believe that sick 3 is a competition about style of the combo - but rather all about technical ability and skill. I don't think Nick's is anywhere near the difficulty of the other two combos.

Hopefully next time I'll be able to enter.

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 04 Jan 2005 09:51

Not that my combos are ever huge, but I deeply apologize for my absence as well. I will honestly try for the next one, but my state of footbag sucks right now and I can barely butterfly so it seems lately.

EDIT:
However I don't believe that sick 3 is a competition about style of the combo - but rather all about technical ability and skill.
Which is why I was a bit upset at last sick 3 comp #2 because for some reason people seemed to want style over technical difficulty. Since when does bubbabeater as a second trick beat a pixie paradon?? Just wondering and I'm not saying my combo (mine was a pixie paradon) was better, and I'm not downing the bubbabeater, but I definatly agree on technical difficulty as being the most important.

Anyways, O yeah, I'm voting for Derek because his combo is clearly the hardest, though michaels was the most "varietical". Nicks was excellent, though I don't think I like the b2b grifters (not that that isn't hard though).
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

bob
Le Meurtre Faux

Post by bob » 04 Jan 2005 22:54

nick has it for originality all the way. then cod. dereks was awesome, but high dexing bores me compared to originality.
Bob Glasser

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 05 Jan 2005 11:25

Hey now, Bubbabeater is sooooo hard. :wink:

Jeremy, there's always going to be a style element, regardless. A combo that's hard, period, versus a combo that's pretty much the same, but nicer to look at...suddenly style plays a role. Imagine that.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 05 Jan 2005 11:29

jeremy, i dont know how you think whirr>grifter>grifter is easier then dominatrix>toe blur>darkwalk. nonethless, i voted for derek.
david

dblthnk84
the Bum

Post by dblthnk84 » 05 Jan 2005 12:37

I think that judging the dificulty might have to do with the type of tricks you hit more often. I can hit dominatrix and toe blur, and I can get darkwalk to roll of my foot. I have never even come close to whirr or grifter (either side). Based on that the whirr & grifter combo seemed alot harder to me when I watched them. I still voted for the dominatrix combo because I liked the variety and I think the whirr could have been better. I don't know if I judge on style of difficulty, but I also have a combo that sticks out above the others for me. I just choose that one, for better or worse.
________
Honda Freed history
Last edited by dblthnk84 on 07 Feb 2011 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 05 Jan 2005 23:28

WHAT???
the whirr looked pretty good to me, I've seen MUCH the er whirrs!
difficulty and variety definatly goes to nick imo, but dereks combo looked so easy for him(excecution).
couldn't watch the other one, I voted for the slick one.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Jan 2005 23:46

Whirr and grifter are HARD!! I haven NEVER hit grifter once, ever! Back to back is madness!! I may have voted Nick if it had been grifter > whirr > grifter, or grifter > grifter > whirr. Creativity and difficulty are most important to me in comp. Creativity is rare, yet succulent. For some reason everything is much different online and I have been voting (mostly) based on style...when combos are really close in difficulty anyway. For this comp Derek's was simply too intense not to win, I'm always baffled how Sunil doesn't win every sick 3 he enters. Speaking of which, whatever happened to older BAP players? All I ever hear about these days is Jorden Moir Jorden Moir Jorden Moir ;p

EDIT: I also thought the whirr was the, but it didn't really affect my vote.

footjam_heger
Egyptian Footgod

Post by footjam_heger » 06 Jan 2005 01:25

vote for laroch! just looks because it looks crazy!! this whirrr

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Jan 2005 01:46

It's interesting to see the relationship between how people vote and what they can hit. Personally I have hit all the moves - and I think I could hit Nick and Cod's combos and maybe Derek's if I tried it for long enough - but it would definitly take a long time.

I found whirr and grifter very hard moves to learn - but not are a lot easier once you understand how to do them. I have been able to hit pixie paradon and blurriest for over a year - but fury>pixie paradon>blurriest is still way harder. I think overall Cod's combo is the easiest for me personally to hit - but that's because I'm pretty good at the moves - they are definitly strong moves for me. I think in general the fact that Nick had 4 dexes and that's it - while Cod had 7 dexes and a duck - made me rate Cod higher - I think hitting three different moves is harder than hitting one back to back. It was definitly close though - and it was hard to judge based on the fact that one combo goes with my strengths and the other doesn't - luckily we only vote for the best combo - not for second or third!