March Sick3 Competition

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

Which combo was the sickest?

Chris Dean (sumo>legbeater>blurry drifter)
No votes
Joe Kulacz (ripwalk>gyro diving clipper>ps whirl)
4%
Jorden Moir (symp flurry>paradon swirl>ps whirl)
35%
Tom Mosher (symp legbeater>pdx whirl>torque)
2%
Ryan Seath (fairy butterfly>pdx tap>tapdown)
2%
Anssi Sundberg (scorpions tail>spanishfly>tomahawk)
56%

Total votes: 48

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

March Sick3 Competition

Post by mosher » 04 Apr 2005 01:47

Please watch the video posted here:

http://modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 092#137092

And then vote.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 04 Apr 2005 07:54

:)

chris - that combo was phat, nice links and super smooth
joe - (the combo is written wrong in the video) but gyro diving clipper > pswhirl is phat, nice
jorden - I guess that was ok :wink:
tom - that combo is too easy for you, I know you can bust bigger than that!
ryan - nice control and execution, like the mix of components
anssi - PHAT!

Thanks for the vid tom :)

my vote to goes to anssi, that combo was very nice
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 04 Apr 2005 13:31

Wow that was so much fun to watch! Tom you did an awesome job assembling that, good choice of music, it made it seem so epic.
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

footjoe
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by footjoe » 04 Apr 2005 15:47

Tom , i really like the way you set up the videos now , i dont have an exuse for a file being to big or not enough time to download it , i get the whole shabang in one package , i love it , props to all of you , submit sick 3/1's next time to!!!!! keep this rolling
15 year old Joe Kulacz

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Apr 2005 19:25

Excellent entries, excellent new format by Mosher.

Here`s my analysis. Please remember that this is all just my opinion, so when I say something is "thin" or "the", that`s just my opinion. I`d also like to give props to everybody again. Nothing here is to be taken personally. That said, let`s go!

Chris Dean: Sumo-legbeater-blurry drifter

Good: OK, my first impression of this combo was that it was very very stylish. I thought the links flowed together real well, and there was no particularly easy link. I mentally noted that the atomic set and the nuclear set were executed with different legs, which shows variety, and that the last trick when rewound would use the other nuclear set. Overall, very balanced.

Bad: The legbeater hurts this combo a little bit. If you`re going to sandwich 2 Fives around a Four, the Four should be original, or make for a very difficult link. Still, I almost prefer legbeater out of sumo over something like a PS whirl at the end of a combo. The other thing that hurt this combo was that it was shot at a low framerate, so I have trouble really seeing the dexes, particularly on the final step set. I assume its clean, but Id much prefer to have better quality video to base my judgments on.

Overall: This is the first time I see you play, I never knew how good you were. Very nice surprise, very nice combo. Try and shoot with a nicer camera next time.

Joe Kulacz: Ripwalk-gyro diving clipper-ps (reverse?)whirl

The good: The strength of this combo lies almost entirely in the second trick. The dive is very deep and clean, and I personally think its a very stylish move. So that nets you points. The combo also showed a nice variety of components: step, spin, duck, symp.

The bad: Two things hurt this combo in my opinion. The first was the ripwalk. It was well executed, but I thought that the difficulty level of it was too small, especially considering its placement in the combo. See my thoughts on 4 add tricks in Chris Dean`s section. If the combo was mixed up to be: ps whirl-ripwalk-gyro diving clipper, then I would value the ripwalk more, because its hard to step out of a ps whirl. But ripwalk to spin is a relatively easy link, and the final link is also relatively easy, since most people can PS whirl out of any clipper. You don`t need as much control to ps whirl out of clipper, than say, step out of it.

Overall: It`s great to see you progressing so fast. I liked the variety of components, just step up the difficulty of the links a little bit.

Jorden Moir: symposium flurry- paradon swirl-ps whirl

The good: The way I mentally process this combo is: hard, cool trick. regular difficulty link to another cool, hard trick. Very easy link to an easy 5 add. The strength of this combo is the first 2 tricks: both are very cool, very hard, and make for a good link.

The bad: The PS whirl at the end kills this combo for me. It looks like a Sick2 with a baily 5 tacked on. I`m usually just not impressed by ps whirls at the end of combos, since they don`t require a particularly solid clipper before it. If the combo had been ps whirl-symp flurry-paradon swirl, then I would give the ps whirl more respect. The other issue I had was the camera. On the replay it was difficult for me to see how deep were the dexes on the symp flurry. Everything was kinda blurry. Even with the blurriness, I could tell the ps whirl was deep though.

Overall: Good stuff as always Jorden. Next time try and get a better capture if possible.

Tom Mosher: FS leg-pdx whirl-torque

Good: It was all cleanly executed, and I thought was a stylish collection of links. I had never seen you do flailing set before either, so that was a nice surprise.
Bad: The whole combo was a bit lacking in difficulty. FS leg is cool, but not that hard, and none of the links were particularly hard.

Overall: This is a cool combo. If you started a string with it, I would give you props. It`s just not hard enough to win.

Ryan Seath: fairy butterfly-pdx tap-tapdown

Good: I like this combo. My initial impression was: "thats kinda Yves Kreil-y" which is a good thing. The whole thing kinda felt like a mixup, the whole thing felt very fresh.
Bad: The thing which hurts this combo the most in my mind, is not that it is 4-4-4, so much as that it seems dominated by one dex leg. The right leg completes all the hard dexterities, executing all the difficult sets.
Overall: very stylish, I really liked that combo. A bit too one-sided and easy to win though.

Anssi Sundberg: Scorpion`s tail-spanish fly-tomahawk
The good: very hard combo, and impeccable double downs. Scorpions tail and spanish fly both require confident, strong barflies, and it didn`t escape me that you did these moves on opposite sides. I would have been MUCH less impressed if you had hit spanish-scorpion-tomahawk.
Bad: You tend to look at your ducks before ducking them, and that makes you duck around your ears, instead of your neck. I still give you credit on your ducks in this clip, but they could definitely be deeper.
Overall: This combo got my vote, because it was 3 legitimately hard tricks, which demonstrated bothsidedness and control, and had challenging links.
T
Last edited by C-Fan on 04 Apr 2005 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 04 Apr 2005 23:03

Mosher, great job, you have made it so easy for me to watch these vids in decent quality with 1 download and make my vote clearly and eaisily. You have made this comp very awesome.

I think ill have to enter the April comp, when do we need to have vids in?

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 04 Apr 2005 23:09

I will post due dates soon, though they will likely be the end of the month. Also, I will have all the info in my signature.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 05 Apr 2005 02:57

I choiced Planet Earth's combo over mine. IMO the links were easier and it was more onesided. And as Ken said: the PS Whirl was veeery lame after the 3dex-3dex link. Also the Symp Furious set could have been much deeper.
But 2 dexes more than I had and a well controlled 3dex-3dex link. Sicker.

Fuck adds, but two 5-5-5's from six combos. C'mon people!

junkyardjew
BSOS Beast

Post by junkyardjew » 10 Apr 2005 20:55

Just as a test I uploaded the "all in one" sick three video to archive.org. you can get it here it should be a really fast download, or you can even get it with FTP. If this works I'll start uploading all the other contest videos, and any videos people want hosted. (you can upload too, it's easy, free and will be a fast download forever!)
Jared MacKay

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 11 Apr 2005 19:52

I had a tough time deciding between Jorden and Anssi. In the end I went with Anssi for two reason's.

One was Jorden's PS Whirl. Great trick that I can't do, but overall it's one of those moves that Elite players tend to hit as a bail. Had it been Superfly it would have got my vote.

The second reason is that Anssi just had three really awesome tricks. The tomahawk was a little bit of a downer following the first two (I mean after you see Lon Smith hit 10 of them back to back it looks SO easy right :? )
Even so, I thought it was an awesome trick following Spanish Fly.
Old Skool

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 19 Apr 2005 02:11

Fucking hell - Anssi's combo is sooooooo cool!! How did you get so good so quickly!! That really impresses me - top work!!