Peoples celebrations in sick1/sick3 competitoins.

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

Should peoples reactions be omited?

Yes - remove them completely
36%
No - they are cool, leave them
64%

Total votes: 42

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Peoples celebrations in sick1/sick3 competitoins.

Post by BalinorNZ » 04 Jul 2005 21:33

Personally I think these make the videos more entertaining and are harmless. Other however have a different point of view.

So I have made this poll.

If the majority do not want to see celebrations I will omitt them in the future.

Thanks,
Nic Bathgate

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Jul 2005 21:48

Definitly leave them in.

The only time I've seen comments about this is when my brother said something about the reason he voted for one person above another was because of their reactions. This may be true since my brother doesn't really follow footbag at all and would have had no idea what he was seeing :P But that is just one vote and he's an idiot. Actually I was there when he voted and made sure he voted well (ie. for me ;). I think that's a very rare case and had he not chosen that particular silly reason for voting deciding who was better between those two players I'm sure he would have chose an equally silly reason - if not more silly and this topic would be about the colour of peoples shorts or how messy their bedroom is rather than reactions.

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 04 Jul 2005 22:22

The only reason that reactions bug me are that some people's votes are affected by reactions. I remember a sick 3 or 1 where my "reaction" was not there, so they placed me lower than I should have been, despite my trick being harder than others. However, since they showed celebration, they placed higher. Nothing against anyone but the voter here.

However, if people only look at reactions for comedy relief, then great, leave them in, however, if votes are going to be affected by how well the person jumps up and down with a silly expression on their face, sorry, that is not fair.
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Jul 2005 22:25

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was my brother in the case you're talking about.

HackyRichard
BSOS Beast

Post by HackyRichard » 05 Jul 2005 00:55

Reactions are all well and good, but when you have say 5-6 reactions in the video at say 2-5 seconds each that adds up to a lot of what I call dead time. And when you've got 15 - 20 seconds of dead time in a video that's gonna impact on the old MBs, and we all want young jesse to be able to download these videos right? j/k jesse :lol:

Put simply I wanna see the ppl doin the moves, I don't really need to see the reaction I know they're gonna be happy, I'd just prefer all the jumping around to involve the footbag :P

Oh and Nic could you please make the endings shorter, that's like 15 - 25s of downtime that could be summed up in 3 - 5 seconds, that's extra MBs that are being chewed up right there (and we don't wanna deny jesse the chance to see these moves right).

Sorry if this comes off sounding negative, just offering suggestions that'll help to improve this aspect of the operation :D

Cheers
Richard Pearce

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 05 Jul 2005 01:31

I have been trying to get the file size down both by trying new encoding options and by reducing the celebrations as much as posible.

So far the only time reactions has affected votes was when Jeremy's brother voted, that is 1 out of about 40 votes. I don't think this is a problem.

In my opinion the (approx) 3-4mb file size differance is enough to justify taking out something as entertaining as the reactions, but if enough people think its an issue, the reactoins will cease to exist.

At the end of the month the decision will depend on this poll. Democracy rules.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 05 Jul 2005 12:45

Reactions are cool. I say they stay. They should be short, but seeing modified people's reactions is awesome because it allows you to see some of their personality. I think that's neat.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 05 Jul 2005 12:56

Last edited by FlexThis on 13 Jul 2005 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 05 Jul 2005 13:24

They give the vids personality, and make them a lot more fun. I think they should stay.

Edit: I should also say that I think the top priority of this competition is fun, which is why the 'fun' option trumps the 'fair' option. Besides, as this gets talked about can't we expect a divide in the electorate where roughly half are positively influenced by celebratory hijinks and the other half negatively?
Last edited by Colin on 05 Jul 2005 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 05 Jul 2005 14:38

i say take em out...just to make it as equal as possible. also it shortens the video slightly motivating more people to download and watch? but yeah...the celebrations might even show how difficult a trick was for a specific person (like jeremy o' wheel probably wouldnt jump up and down after landing a ripwalk), but that shouldnt affect the voting...its not based on how hard a trick is for an individual, its based solely on the trick. i guess its not a big deal, but i dunno.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Jul 2005 20:58

Take em out. They make the videos longer for no reason, and now that so many people enter the comps, it gets annoying. If there are over 10 entries, and everybody celebrates... by the tenth entry I can`t even remember the first entry. In fact, I say take out all the extraneous stuff. Keep it to the tricks and the slowmo. Personally, I like to watch the video twice before voting, but when the videos are this long, and I have to wait/wade through so much extraneous pointless shit, it becomes real tedious.

I`m here to see combos, not dancing. In real life this is a different thing, or in a video you make for yourself its also OK, but not in this kind of competition.

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 05 Jul 2005 21:53

They should definatly be taken out. Bathgate's celebrations can stay cause he makes the vids and is usualy first, but after that its lame and makes the vid long ect..

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 06 Jul 2005 13:25

leave em, they are hilarious
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 06 Jul 2005 14:47

I think they are totally un-called for and inappropriate.

ESPECIALLY nic's, his are the most over blown drama-fests that have no place in the video.

It makes one person's clip more exciting than the others, how is that fair?

This should be a straight up display of the shit, I think it's shameful to start the movie with your huge dramatic BS and blow away any chance at an even playing field right from the start.

Not everyone celebrates and thus in the video NO ONE should celebrate!

If you look at the Sick Comp videos I made you'd see that I made it just a raw straight up delivery of the goods, and I think that model should be emulated, not fucked with. :?
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 06 Jul 2005 18:59

Am I allowed to celebrate if I hit a trick at Worlds?
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Jul 2005 19:18

Do people seriously judge based on reactions though. I think judging these comps is good experience for judging competitions in the flesh. In a real competition some people react like they've hit the best combo in the world while others don't react at all.

I think the point about these competitions is that there is a whole range of experience from people judging so the final result isn't necessarily the result that would occur from a panel of experienced judges. If people judging are influenced by reactions it's because of the nature of the competition.

Frankly I doubt that anybody is actually influenced by reactions at all and there is no advantage in jumping up and down or in cutting out the reactions at all. I mean look at the way Honza reacts to his two moves, yet he's probably going to win both comps. I know my reactions in past competitions has been one of smile and shrug and I've always done really well. I can honestly see no relationship at all between reaction and result.

If people honestly feel that it's somehow unfair to keep the reactions in - take them out - but I'm convinced it will make no difference at all.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Jul 2005 19:51

I don`t think the reactions affect how I judge, but they definitely make the video longer, which is a pain in the ass when downloading, as well as when re-watching them. For this reason, and this reason only, I strongly feel they should be cut out.

Personally, I enjoy watching peoples reactions when they are funny or genuine. I find some of the celebrations in these vids to be real performative, and it takes away from the impact for me. Are you REALLY that happy about the trick, or are you just freaking out because you know you are on camera? I think a good example is Maymumi Maki hitting Pheonix. You can tell the reaction there is spur of the moment and just happened to be caught on tape. That vid the reaction was fine, because it was showing a moment in Japanese footbag history, and it caught the feeling. It wasn`t a video that was made to be seen over and over again, in order to compare the execution of the move vs. other moves. When I have to watch 10 moves carefully, in slow motion, two or three times, and compare them to each other, I`d rather do it without a lot of extraneous shit taking up my time.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 07 Jul 2005 03:56

Okay, what reactions are you talking about exactly? Is my reaction in my vid really all that bad? That was the first time I had hit pixie ducking dragonfly, and yes, that was my actual reaction. If you could have heard the raw audio, you would've known I was laughing. I was happy. When I hit my sick 3, I was happy too. I don't know what reactions you guys are talking about that lengthen the video THAT much. This is just such a minor issue. Nic fits the song to the footage, and so the rest of the song is going to keep going until the video is done. Obviously, if he cut 25 seconds out of the video by cutting 5 people's 5 second reaction, he would probably use a different song. However there's also the exact speed of slow mo to consider, etc. This is just such a minor issue I really don't see why anyone would be complaining about it.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

freestyler4life
BSOS Beast

Post by freestyler4life » 07 Jul 2005 14:45

leave'em! i get enjoyment watching the peoples reactions, i feel happier for them that they hit the trick.

And I think celebrations are naturaly apart of sick 1's or sick 3's

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 07 Jul 2005 14:48

bigdirtyfoot wrote:Okay, what reactions are you talking about exactly? Is my reaction in my vid really all that bad? That was the first time I had hit pixie ducking dragonfly, and yes, that was my actual reaction. If you could have heard the raw audio, you would've known I was laughing. I was happy. When I hit my sick 3, I was happy too. I don't know what reactions you guys are talking about that lengthen the video THAT much. This is just such a minor issue. Nic fits the song to the footage, and so the rest of the song is going to keep going until the video is done. Obviously, if he cut 25 seconds out of the video by cutting 5 people's 5 second reaction, he would probably use a different song. However there's also the exact speed of slow mo to consider, etc. This is just such a minor issue I really don't see why anyone would be complaining about it.
Lol don't worry man, he is'nt talking about yours. I think my reactions are the criminals in this crime ;).

Decision:
I am not basing my judgement on the poll what-so-ever. Only on the points that have been bought up for and against the reactions.
For this months event I am expecting once again entrys will grow, depending on how many I get, the format of the competition may change and this may have some effect on weather or not reactions are left in or not.
This month I will cut all reactions down to a low consistant timelimit, each clip will be allowed say, 3 seconds reaction.
If the format stays the same, I will sum the total time between the seal of the move and end of the clip with reactions, if this is more than about 5% of the total video time, and I can't reasonably reduce reactions any more, they will be removed.

If anybody has issues with this decision please post them here before the end of the month.