The Gamekeeper

1, 2, 3, 4. Keep that bag off the floor.
Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 12 Mar 2007 14:42

Yesterday was the most improvement I've ever seen out of him. He's never struck me as someone the took anything seriously. It was more than a little shocking to see that die hard attitude and willing to learn/try new things.

taken in July of last year
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 15 Mar 2007 20:58

Played 4 and 6 square today ... couldn't get past zero ... im pretty sure i was a game keeper today.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 19 Mar 2007 12:39

Thursday, played one game of squares, managed to only get 12 points or so (playing to 21) before someone else won.

Sunday, went 1 win and 2 losses to Freddy playing 2S

Played 4-square too... I forgot who won, I was kinda half awake most of Sunday. I've just been out of my groove. Can't wait to play Thursday though.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 19 Mar 2007 16:39

i think Tom won 4s
Freddy Noinaj of the CIC?

"Sweet" Simon

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 19 Mar 2007 23:45

U know this!

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 24 Mar 2007 19:03

3 out of 5 games last Thursday. Click here for the breakdown

Marty went 4 of 8. So beastly.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 03 Apr 2007 18:37

Last Saturday, Zeke, Nathan, Ronnie and I played 7 games of 4square in front of La Raza. We tried out a new court in the neighbors drive way with huge squares. Actually, squares 1 and 2 were just large, but squares 3 and four were giant, 9 ft by 11 ft maybe. The king square had a brick wall bordering one side so we played with an interesting rule that you could play off the wall as long as it contacts above a line that was struck across the wall about 4 ft up. It made for some interesting plays. Anyway, Zeke and Nathan won 2 games each and I won 3.

Then today Zeke and I played 7 games of 2square. He won 4 and I won 3. The first 5 games were on very tiny little squares (4 by 4) and we alternated wins, the last two were on slightly larger ones and Zeke beat me both games.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 07 Apr 2007 08:21

Sunday April 1 - five games of 2sq, lost the first against Zeke, then won four straight. Shut out Ronnie, kept Cudo to like three points (wanted to shut him out, too - kind of disappointed I didn't), held on against a resurgent Freddie after jumping out to a big lead (and nearly losing it), had a pretty even match against Zeke but IIRC won when the bag barely landed out of the square. Should have played one more against Zeke to make it a best 2 of 3, should have played one against Twitch when he showed up, but didn't.

I think when I beat Zeke that its mostly luck. When he's on (not kicking the bag out, which seems to be the one mistake he makes with any frequency), he kicks me apart.

And I've never won a game of 2sq against Tom. Talk about a kicking apart. I think I've maybe scored 12 points when playing to 15, once, but that was a fluke.

Friday April 6 - two games of 4sq. Won the first, lost the second but got to 18 points (playing to 21). Zeke, Freddie, Cudo, Ronnie. I had the game sized up like this - when I'm in Ksq & Cudo & Ronnie are on the court, I should score (not that I wanted to exploit the newbs, but I'm not gonna turn down the points if that's how it goes down). That's going to be minimum 50% of the points played. But this would also be true for Zeke and Freddie when they are in Ksq, so it was really about keeping them out the Ksq. Consistently getting three points out of my trips to Ksq turned out to be enough to win.

Jumped out to a good lead, eight points after my second trip to Ksq. Freddie seemed to take a few rounds to adjust to 4sq, got him with a couple long kicks behind him when he got a foot on but didn't quite get the right kick on it. Same with Zeke for a couple points. They both made the adjustment after it happened a couple times.

Also had some ideal shot placement against Ronnie. Like one millimeter closer & it would have been on the line. Its nice to score with the soft knee or the soft knee + fake - all the experienced players have learned to anticipate this.

Also happy with my defense throughout the game. A couple mental lapses here and there, but other than I returned everything & was mostly under control. I'm doing a lot better at getting back into good square position after getting out of position to return the bag (footwork!) And I'm loving the big inside right as my reliable return of choice. Decent power, good control & good reach, plus I can screen off it a little.

Anyway, after I jumped out to the early lead, Freddie went on a run & was only a couple points behind. I managed to hold on after everyone focused on taking me out/keeping me from the Ksq & got the win.

Did have one wild return against Cudo. I was Ksq, he was sq3, I served, he sent it to the back of my square, I turned & blindly toe-kicked, which sent the bag out of my square, but I got another kick on it, then another toe kick almost parallel to the line between us. IIRC he surprised me by returning that one, too, but I got him with the next kick (which wasn't anything memorable, I guess).

Key point of the game - Freddie & I were locked into a duel, like around ten returns each, I dumped it off to Cudo & got the point. Kind of cheap, but smart. My motto. Game point was pretty decent but eventually it was a kick out of bounds. Probably 10 of my points were against Ronnie or Cudo, and five more were from fouls.

Second game, didn't start so hot, but went on a couple runs that got me caught up. Had a few longer stretches of not getting anything accomplished - only getting to sq3. Zeke & Freddie both tore it up. I managed to postpone Zeke's eventual win through lucky square position. Zeke was King, I was sq2, with Ronnie & Freddie in the other squares to set screens - on three consecutive trips to Ksq by Zeke. The screens were good but my executions of the screen passes weren't great. Zeke got his foot on them but didn't get the right kick on them, so I guess they worked well enough.

Ronnie & Cudo seemed to waste a lot of time getting to Ksq, dueling one another, dropping, not scoring, making calls, arguing, etc. They did both score a respectable amount of points after a while, though.

Lots of calls in both games, actually. Lots of hack-offs. Also a lot of longer, hard-fought points, which was a lot of fun.

Fuck this was a long post.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 08 Apr 2007 04:29

I thought this was the CIC blog for a minute. Nice post Nate.

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 08 Apr 2007 17:26

Lost a 2 square game against Zeke today,

9-11, i had different insoles that were uncomfortable to play in.

Worked some "secret" trick shot today. :wink:
Freddy Noinaj of the CIC?

"Sweet" Simon

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 22 Apr 2007 20:05

Wednesday 4/18 - Met up with Zeke, Tom and Obed at UIC after work. Obed left pretty much right after I got there. I jumped into the 2square court already set up and lost three games in a row. The first and second were to Tom and Zeke respectively and were close games, the third Tom demolished me 11-2 :oops: . Somehow I had never faced off with Tom in 2square before this day, very fierce competition. After getting destroyed by Tom I managed to squeak a victory over Zeke and then one over Tom. Tom and I then played two real quick games of Highlander Gamma before we left and each took a victory. Then we walked back to where my van was parked, but some fucking pirates had towed it away :evil: .

Saturday 4/21 - Probably the best weather so far this year but for some reason the only guy Zeke and I could get out to the park with us was Freddy. We played 5 or 6 games of 3square. I won the first three games. The fourth game I got to game point kind of early, but Zeke and Freddy's defense stopped me every time I made it back to king square and Zeke ended up taking that game. We played one game of roulette where square 1 had no insides, square 2 had extra point on aces, and king square was 4 contact Tom's rule with spikes instead of the catch and pass. The king square rule was really the kicker because with squares 1 and 2 gunning for the server most of the time it was in play most of the game, and to get the king out all you really had to do was back up in you square and after 4 kicks slam a well place spike down in there square. So we played a lot of the game getting into king square for one turn and getting knocked right back to square one. I think I won that game too. We might have played won more game but I can't remember.

Sunday 4/22 - Another gorgeous day at Wells. Marty, Freddy, Zeke, Ronnie, and Abe were already there when I got there and Cuba and Kamil show up minutes after. Zeke won the first game of the day against Freddy Ronnie and Abe in what I heard was a pretty close game. After I got there we played four games with straight up rules, Zeke won the first two and I won the next two. Then we played a game of no inside contacts, Marty got to around 12 or 13 real quick but couldn't manage much after that. The no inside rule seemed to hit Zeke, Cuba, and Marty (after his initial run) the hardest, Kamil was virtually unaffected. I can play pretty well without insides and manged to win that game. Then we played a game of 5-contact Tom's rule. Zeke voted off trippy serves on the initial pass which I was very happy about, and I managed to win that game too. Then we played the most horrible game of spin rule :x . Whenever Zeke or I were both in the court and one of us was in king square, we'd vote it out, but the second we left it got voted right back in. I hate spin rule. Freddy spun his way to victory that time. The I won one more quick game with no rules in play. Then we all watched Zeke eat a banana.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 24 Apr 2007 20:39

Reile beat me today in a best of 3 match in 2S
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 08 May 2007 07:07

Some great duels at cinco ... I even didnt play half bad .. workzone was winning every game i think

umm then lots of hacky sack, with everyone straying off to rest and minnimum45 ending up to be the last man standing.

gersley play squares too, it looked like he was having a good time.

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 08 May 2007 15:01

Played a couple games of squares yesterday with Meinard and Zeke before the sun went down. Zeke beat me 11-9 in a game of 2square before Meinard showed up. Once he arrived we switched to 3square, I won the first game and Zeke won the second by default (we got kicked off the court by the hag next door before we could finish and Zeke was a point or two away from winning).

Zeke also beat me in 6 out of 7 single matches of 2square last week. It was a humbling yet fun experience.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 09 May 2007 11:29

Meh, winning by default sounds so crappy :oops:

Played quite a few intense single matches with Tom last thursday too. I don't remember exactly what the final totals were.

I have such a hard time keeping track of score and who served the round :roll:
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 10 May 2007 20:52

Zeke wrote:Meh, winning by default sounds so crappy :oops:
You know what's not so shitty? Winning 6-square (to 21 points) against a bunch of noobs that did nothing but make shitty and blatantly bullshit votes against you... soooo good!

It also helped that 3 of the better players didn't get in until I already scored 17 points :lol:
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood