HEY MODS! (regarding recent discussion)

Topics about or relating to the forum itself and how it's run.
mc
Modifiend

HEY MODS! (regarding recent discussion)

Post by mc » 19 Mar 2008 15:20

There is a disagreement amongst us users regarding what the group of you should do about forum censorship. I'm sure you're all aware of the details.

The question now is, "What are you going to do about it?"

There has been PLENTY of discussion, and some really good solution ideas have come up.

Can you at least please inform us of what you're thinking you may do to come to a resolution?

One thing that I think might help this whole situation is to have more proactive, involved moderators. The amount of time it's taking to get a response from the mod staff regarding this ongoing issue is reinforcing this idea.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

dyalander
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dyalander » 19 Mar 2008 15:34

At the very least:

A new Discussion section warning will probably be made.

Pointless off topic stuff in the discussion section will also be moderated more strictly with post deletion.

However the boundaries of what is considered offensive within the rules will not change at this stage.

There may also be additions to the mod team.
Who wears short shorts?
Dylan Govender.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 20 Mar 2008 13:54

One more thing not mentioned:

Kicking Circle should be fit with a warning AGAINST sexually explicit material and people violating this rule should receive warnings and repeat offenders posting privileges removed, etc.

At the very least, I think if someone posts a vulgar topic purposefully in the Kicking Circle, is given a warning, and subsequently does the same thing, they should privileges taken away. It saves the mods work, and keeps the topics where they should be.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 21 Mar 2008 16:32

I think as long as the horse stays in the barn, ya don't ask about her daddy, and nobody inquires about playing the meat whistle, it's all good.

maybe we need a bitchin circle, for people that like to bitch a lot.

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Re: HEY MODS! (regarding recent discussion)

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 21 Mar 2008 17:33

Matt Cross wrote: One thing that I think might help this whole situation is to have more proactive, involved moderators. The amount of time it's taking to get a response from the mod staff regarding this ongoing issue is reinforcing this idea.

Problem with this...There are too few people who qualify for the position, and even fewer who would be able to be massively active.

Why don't you file to become a mod Matt, I think you'd do a great job. :D
shredzilla wrote:One more thing not mentioned:

Kicking Circle should be fit with a warning AGAINST sexually explicit material and people violating this rule should receive warnings and repeat offenders posting privileges removed, etc.

At the very least, I think if someone posts a vulgar topic purposefully in the Kicking Circle, is given a warning, and subsequently does the same thing, they should privileges taken away. It saves the mods work, and keeps the topics where they should be.

Hear Hear
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...

-Robert Baker-

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 22 Mar 2008 13:24

Rob,

I used to be one.

I quit the team because I felt like I wanted to be more proactive and aggressive than the rest of the team, and when i received community backlash for being more aggressive, which was then not followed up with what I felt was adequate support or co-aggression from my fellow mods, I got pretty frustrated and disgusted and quit.

if the mods are going to be more active and they want someone proactive, aggressive, and **regularly present on the boards during North American waking hours** on their team, they know how to contact me.

Matt
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 23 Mar 2008 20:49

i think mat would do a good job. i have no memory of being upset with his moderating, or feeling that it was unwarranted or unjustly heavy handed. He's got my vote.
A.G.

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 23 Mar 2008 20:52

p.s. Thanks for the update on the situation. I am also interested to hear what is going to be done about spamming, as it's becoming a bit of a problem. and can we get the edit button back in this forum so i can go back and properly spell matt's name? :lol:
A.G.

dyalander
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dyalander » 24 Mar 2008 14:57

At this stage I don't think a specific warning against sexually explicit material in Kicking circle is required.
Mods should be monitoring it, and any users that notice anything should pm one of us - but you are right about the warnings and repeat offenders.
Who wears short shorts?
Dylan Govender.

dyalander
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dyalander » 26 Mar 2008 17:21

We have added Erik Chan to the mod team.
Who wears short shorts?
Dylan Govender.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 27 Mar 2008 03:23

I think I should be a mod. I would delete at least half the shit that get's posted here.
James McCullough

LEGOMAN
Egyptian Footgod

Post by LEGOMAN » 27 Mar 2008 18:04

the real problems with mods are that they dont have any real powers on the forum. the only big difference between me and a mod is that my name isnt green on the active user list
People that like LEGOMAN - 10
People that hate LEGOMAN - 1000
LEGOMAN´s posts - Priceless

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 27 Mar 2008 22:34

So taunting them seems like a good idea, huh? :-o

Having power and exercising it are two different things.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

LEGOMAN
Egyptian Footgod

Post by LEGOMAN » 28 Mar 2008 13:18

im not trying to taunt them anymore. i just think they should have more powers
People that like LEGOMAN - 10
People that hate LEGOMAN - 1000
LEGOMAN´s posts - Priceless

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 31 Mar 2008 16:36

I should probly never be a mod, I would ban people that pissed me off, change peoples text to make it look like they were saying funny stuff, and give people funny titles.

I would like to be president though, I would apologize to all the people we have screwed over, divert defence funding to education and social wellfare, tax the rich heavily, and make global wellfare more a priority than profit.

So, vote for me for president, but not for modified moderator.

Your King,
Sam President

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 31 Mar 2008 16:36

epic post!!!

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 31 Mar 2008 22:44

The appeal your post did have just disappears when you claim it as an 'epic post'... it just ruins the vibe.

I'd defs be a really corrupt mod though. It'd be so lol, cos I'd ban like everyone who had opinions I deem stupid.
Oliver Adams