Vote against King Monkeys Actions!

Topics about or relating to the forum itself and how it's run.

Should King Monkey Re-evaluate his actions?

Yes
42%
No
37%
Undecided or Abstain
21%

Total votes: 19

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Vote against King Monkeys Actions!

Post by QuantumBalance » 18 Jan 2009 07:21

A topic I made in Forum Policies Discussion was moved to the kicking circle. The mod King Monkey PMed me the following:

I moved the 'visualisation of online arguments' topic to Kicking Circle because it didnt belong anywhere else.

How is this reason that is given good enough to justify moving it against my will and without my permission?

Why did the mod not post in red font, the reasons that he moved the topic?

Why was there blatent disregard for my attempt at positive energy? Do the mods wish to promote a negative environment?

I know what the mod might say, the content of the post only contained a single link, and therefor did not call for discussion...

To which I reply:

It is a person of lower intelligence who ASSUMES that a thing's very existence does NOT gives rise to debate and new ideas. Just because I pose an idea with less words, and with an open ended format, does that mean my idea is not worthy of discussion?

The thing I posted was a little comic about two people feuding over the internet. An angel comes and transports them face to face... where they quickly realize they had been overreacting. The angel transports them back home where they discourse rationally over the net... This is quite the progressive subject matter for the section of Forum Policies Discussion.

It could be considered a policy if you will, to at least attempt to remember peoples dignity. This is the part where you post all the times I have cusses people out, but unfortunatly for you, that doesn't lesson my point, it only makes both you AND I look bad.

I suggest that some of the mods are self righteous, egotistical, stagnant beings who do not deserve to have disgressionary powers because they prove to abuse them repeatedly.

I move that King Monkey become more open minded.

Please respond members, mods, and offender.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 18 Jan 2009 07:37

Looking at the post you made, it's not at all obvious that the purpose of the link was to encourage discussion, and that was AFTER reading that it was an attempt at creating a discussion.

If I were to try to promote positive discussion, the least I would do is try to make the first post as obvious as possible. After all, one of the plagues of internet discussions is misunderstanding due to the limits of this media. When most people read a comic, they react by laughing and moving on rather than debating, unless encouraged to, and you haven't done that.

How about instead of 'voting against' a mod's decision (which isn't very positive), post a clarification reply under the moved topic, have what you had in mind perfectly clear, and get a meaningful discussion rolling there. Once the thread contains a few posts that could be labeled as valid forum etiquette discussion, ask the mods to have it moved to where you originally intended it to be.

Now THAT'S positive thinking :)
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 18 Jan 2009 13:51

Pretty much as Roy said.

Creating a topic that is merely a link is not something that can be seen as "serious discussion" - the serious discussion really has to start with first post, not the hope that people will be interested enough in whatever you've written to discuss the link seriously.

If you really want to express "positive energy" how about not starting topics complaining about exceptionally minor and meaningless issues. Your topic still exists and it's in a forum where people are more likely to read it now. What is the value of which subforum a topic actually is in? Does your post lose meaning by being moved? Will people judge it differently now?

There's no reason to care about the fact that it's been moved or not and all you're doing is promoting "negative energy" (as if energy were polar).

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 18 Jan 2009 16:09

Sam, I love you and I think it's great you're striving towards positive actions, but if you look at this situation and your post it is unfortunately negative on the whole.

And really, who gives a fuck where a thread is?
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 18 Jan 2009 16:22

I would have done the same thing if I had seen the thread first. King didn't treat you poorly as far as I can tell, and he made the right move putting a thread with a link to a comic in the KC. The PM he sent wasn't saying that the thread was bad in some way, it was just letting you know that he moved it to the KC. He didn't put the reason in red in the post because there was no need to and that's not the way things are normally done. Mods normally usually just say "Moved to the Kicking Circle. -Mod Name," which he didn't do, but he did PM you.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 18 Jan 2009 16:36

Ok. I will take responsibility for initiating discussion next time.

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 18 Jan 2009 17:40

As has been said, the move was justified so i wont go further into it. Im so very sorry that i neglected to 'remember your dignity' and put a red Mod edit post in your topic, if i knew it would be such a slight against you I would have doubled my efforts.

I can only 'lol' at the rest of what you wrote.
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 19 Jan 2009 00:04

Of course you can, King Monkey.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 19 Jan 2009 04:34

Thomas Jefferson wrote:Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 19 Jan 2009 07:09

So you think that every person who makes a less that perfect proposition should be ridiculed? What a sad world you live in.

where is your compassion? where is your empathy?

how would intelligible propositions be guaged without less that perfect propositions to compare it to? there would be no intelligible propositions. ther would only be propositions.

and, why do you consistanly choose to be a hater? is ther not enough malice in the world alreadý? do you get high off of putting flawed people down?

ridiculed,
sam

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 19 Jan 2009 12:16

Can you two take this to PM or to a different forum section?
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 19 Jan 2009 13:31

Dear Emily,

I must apologise most profusely for hijacking this serious and important discussion about King Monkey's blatant disregard for QuantumBalance's attempt at positive energy with my banal quote of no significance. My intention was to restate, or support, King Monkey's statement that he could only 'lol' at the rest of the post. I can now see the error in such an intention and my only wish now is that you can forgive such an indiscretion.

Humbly apologetic,

Jeremy O.

----

Sam, I think you read far more into my quote than I intended, but I would like to take this opportunity to confirm that I do indeed have absolutely zero compassion or empathy for people who whine about having a topic moved from one internet forum subforum to another. This probably means that I am autistic so I can only ask that if you're capable of it, you show me the compassion and empathy that I am unable to feel about such issues.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Jan 2009 13:45

modified rulz
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 19 Jan 2009 17:05

Jeremy, well said and I agree.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 21 Jan 2009 12:33

I'm starting to warm to this subforum. Every new topic is a new low.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 21 Jan 2009 22:20

Thats funny you think this is a new low. I feel it is a new height :)

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 22 Jan 2009 05:34

One man's ceiling is another man's floor-some Beastie Boys' song.

TheLast
Fearless

Post by TheLast » 29 Jan 2009 17:59

fuck this.
Paulo Castro

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 30 Jan 2009 11:10

Forum Policy Discussion sub-forum killed the Discussion board star

That's a mouthful

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 16 Feb 2009 03:45

King Monkey wrote: I can only 'lol' at the rest of what you wrote.
Sums up this thread IMO.
Oliver Adams