Mobile Devices

Topics about or relating to the forum itself and how it's run.
Allan

Mobile Devices

Post by Allan » 23 Jul 2012 10:50

The board should now re-format itself for viewing on mobile devices. I installed: http://phpbb-mobile.com/, which states:
phpBB Mobile is a fully automatic modification which, when a user accesses your forum using a mobile device, sends them a mobile optimised version of the forum. The style was built using iWebKit, so is designed for iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad, but it also works with other phones with webkit based browsers or browsers that support CSS3, meaning it will work for Android, BlackBerries, etc. It is extremely easy to install and use - you simply have to install it using AutoMOD, and then it will do everything itself. There are some more advanced features - you can remove certain groups' permissions to use the mobile style (for example, if you want people to have to log in to use it), or you can change the regex that is tested against the user agent of the user to determine whether they can see the mobile style. Also, it is really easy to disable - there is a simple enable / disable checkbox in the ACP.

It is still under development, but it is in Release Candidate stage and we are currently just ironing out bugs, ready for our first official release. If you would like to help in the development, please send me an email or a private message, or make a thread in the forums.
I've not fully tested it (just looked at it on my iPhone 4/latest iOS, but no other devices), but it seems somewhat OK for general use. It's not perfect. If you find something about it that doesn't work right, or something you want to see, post about it in here.

Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Mobile Devices

Post by Muffinman » 23 Jul 2012 12:41

Is there an option to "view full website"?
I don't really like mobile sites.

Allan

Post by Allan » 23 Jul 2012 13:17

At the very bottom of each page, there should be a "Disable phpBB Mobile" link. Please try that out :)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Jul 2012 14:07

Cool.
Thanks Allan!

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 23 Jul 2012 15:17

To honest I immediately disabled the mobile version on my phone. If it doesn't have a "view new posts" button in huge letters it's not for me.

I know many people who browse forums while on the go prefer the Tapatalk app. It's probably a couple dollars.

Thanks for contuining on with this project though!

Allan

Post by Allan » 23 Jul 2012 18:34

I've actually just disabled this mod since it couldn't be effectively turned off and didn't have support for private messaging, among other serious issues. I can fix it up, but for the time being there's just the one version of the site, and folks can check out tapatalk if they want to ... :(