MULF Ultimate League of Footbag

Working on a footbag-related project? Ask for help, get feedback/advice here.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

MULF Ultimate League of Footbag

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 05 May 2014 20:52

So Nathan Bonslaver brought this to my attention… I wasn't sure what to think at first.. still not entirely sure. But I needed to make this known.

CLICK THIS AND STUFF

There are footbag players from Denver (Ken Somolinos), Portland (Nick Landes, Chris Dean, Bevier), Seattle (Justin Dale, Reilley Adamson, Dan Reed), Nevada (Gatesman), Las Angeles (I forget who's still here, but I'm pretty sure there are some), etc…

I don't know what we want to do with this. I guess my suggestion is reaching out to them and letting them know about our sport and offering to meet up and show them the ropes.

Ideas?
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: MULF Ultimate League of Footbag

Post by C-Fan » 06 May 2014 09:21

Do we even know what this is? Are we sure these guys even hack? I skimmed the website and didn't find any contact points other than one phone number. Has anybody tried calling it? If it turns out there are players in these cities, I'll do my part and reach out to the one(s) in Denver.

If somebody else has time to call the number or look into what this is, then post here, that'd help me out.

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 07 May 2014 07:35

This is a pretty interesting find...

I've tried to examine this all a little bit closer, but information is hard to find.

I get the feeling that this might be real, and something in the nature of the BUCE LEAGUE, in which case, that's kind of cool. It would be nice if there were some video or at least some photos on the web-site, or some more description of what the hell they're talking about...

On the other hand, I'm totally unconvinced that the "Denver, Portland, Seattle" descriptions reflect any kind of reality. Rather, I suspect that the people named on this web-site are real but may all live in the same area of southern California, and perhaps their team names are just fanciful --- i.e. they're not really from Portland and Denver... they're just a group of friends (possibly) playing an elaborate hacky-sack meets "Ultimate Frisbee" type of game, they have self-divided themselves into teams, and they have named their teams for other places that they might once of come from or places where there is some other professional sports team that they like, but they're not really spread-out geographically like that.

Well, that's my suspicion anyway. Too bad there's not really much to go on. I suppose somebody could try contacting these people individually or try "joining" this league/web-site to see if there is any more info to gain.

It reminds me of a famous Footbag Net story that I know only vaguely... Way back (maybe in the 1980's... I'm not sure) there was already the footbag community that we know and love, and there was the World Footbag Association (or, at least, it's predecssor the National Hacky Sack Association or something...) and there were regional and national/world championships and such... and Footbag World Magazine where players from all-over could learn about up-coming tournaments (no internet or e-mails yet...). In other words, the world of competitive footbag was organized and cohesive, to fairly large degree... And then some players stumbled upon a small independant "League" of people playing their own version of Footbag Net, and they had their own newsletter/magazine and tournaments, etc, but they were playing in isolation and were pretty much entirely unaware that there was already a similar but bigger game/league going on around them. Footbag Hall Of Fame member James "The Legend" Harley was apparently prominent in that small isolated league. Anyway, contact was made, the small independant league learned about the larger footbag world going on around them, and this small league was absorbed into the larger game... In truth, I don't know much more than that --- I couldn't tell you how many people there were in that smaller league at that time (or how many were in our larger league at that time either), or how many people other than James continued playing and happily joined-up with the bigger league vs. how many may have faded away... James and probably Kenny Shults would know more, and not too many people besides (maybe Steve Goldberg). The point is that "hacky sack" enthusiast can develope their own extra-enthusiastic ways of playing and reasons for playing without having any knowledge that other groups of kickers have already done so and are operating in parallel to them. It is a little bit less likely in this internet age, but it can happen. It COULD also be the case that some of these people ALREADY know about "us" and aren't interested in what we do...
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 May 2014 10:51

Oh man, I know what you speak of Jon. Vince Bradley told me about that...I think it was in the 80s, and you are right that James Harley came from that group. If I remember correctly, they used a softer footbag, and the whole strategy in their game revolved around dinks as opposed to spikes.

Polini, did you learn anything more about this league? Did anybody call the number on the website?

dolercoaster
Shredaholic

Post by dolercoaster » 12 May 2014 06:27

I think it was in the 80s
and the whole strategy in their game revolved around dinks

I'm pretty sure I found some footage of the guys you're talking about...they're pretty short for net guys, though. Was Eric Wulff part of that crew?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCApeXCE0W8[/youtube]

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 May 2014 10:59

He's the third from the left. Probably footage of them heading to their next match.

So....anybody figure out what this MULF business was about?

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 04 Jun 2015 12:13

signed up to be a member, lets see what happens next. I will try to give the guy a call too
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 04 Jun 2015 13:52

I've seen this before too. Bonslaver showed this to me a while ago. Let us know when you hear back from them, Nick.
Nick Polini

Funblog

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Jun 2015 11:09

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:I've seen this before too. Bonslaver showed this to me a while ago. .
Was it at Mon May 05, 2014 9:52 pm?

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 05 Jun 2015 11:33

C-Fan wrote:
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:I've seen this before too. Bonslaver showed this to me a while ago. .
Was it at Mon May 05, 2014 9:52 pm?

Depends on your location, for him it was probably closer to 11:52 pm :wink:
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 05 Jun 2015 15:35

Once again, a joke goes over my head, because yesterday was June 4th... I'll just say "yeah lol!"
Nick Polini

Funblog

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 05 Jun 2015 16:28

Kyle just informed me why this is funny. Good gravy..

http://youtu.be/ufERJEdcfAY
Nick Polini

Funblog

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 05 Jun 2015 18:01

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Kyle just informed me why this is funny. Good gravy..

http://youtu.be/ufERJEdcfAY
While were on the topic of this song, I might as well show you a cover of it by one of my top 5 favorite bluegrass bands, Trampled by Turtles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvVeQI0heg
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 28 Dec 2015 09:52

So, i just got this accepted into the league and wanted to share the message i got from one of the organizers

"Hi Sidekick, Thank you for the interest in our MULF organization. We are currently in the process of recording a promotional film for our YouTube channel to help spread the word of our growing league. Although the names of MULF franchises seem to be located in nationwide cities, we are a local sport of Los Angeles, California. We are excited to know that those of the freestyle community are intrigued by MULF. We do have a rule book we could email you to help you understand the game, along with a small amount of footage. Our players would love to expand the sport because we do believe in and love the potential of MULF."
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Dec 2015 10:38

Yeah, they found me on Instagram recently too and offered to email me the rule book. It just sounds like Ultimate Frisbee with a footbag. However, they did say they were interested in learning some Freestyle Footbag.
Nick Polini

Funblog