Footbag moves database: Now privately testing!

Working on a footbag-related project? Ask for help, get feedback/advice here.
janis
Post Master General

Footbag moves database: Now privately testing!

Post by janis » 13 Jun 2015 08:43

Over the last couple of years I've been working on making a footbag moves encyclopaedia type website.

The code that powers this is over on GitHub here: https://github.com/shuttle1987/footbag-db

Due to being somewhat time poor I haven't had the ability to get it to the state I initially wanted to before opening it up to contributions but I think it's more important for the footbag community to not have the project die. So if anyone has experience with Python/Django and is interested in contributing let me know, I'd love to hear from you. As always pull requests/patches and bug reports are very welcome.

You don't have to be particularly experienced either to make a valuable contribution to this project, if you are interested in development and Python this could be a good opportunity to get some mentioning from a somewhat senior software engineer and help make something awesome for the footbag community. Once the site is in a more complete state there will be more opportunities for non-technical people to contribute.
Last edited by janis on 17 Mar 2016 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

janis
Post Master General

Re: Footbag moves database

Post by janis » 12 Mar 2016 22:07

This is now ready for a private beta! Go to http://dev.footbag.info.

You have to enter a password to see the site:
footbag
isawesome

At this point in the project feedback on the design and bug reports are extremely valuable.

If you would like a login to test the functionality of the site get in contact with me.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 13 Mar 2016 05:33

janis wrote:This is now ready for a private beta! Go to http://dev.footbag.info.

You have to enter a password to see the site:
footbag
isawesome

At this point in the project feedback on the design and bug reports are extremely valuable.

If you would like a login to test the functionality of the site get in contact with me.
Hmm won't let me log in, keeps asking for login details.
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 13 Mar 2016 05:45

AdAstra wrote:Hmm won't let me log in, keeps asking for login details.
Should be fixed, try again now.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Mar 2016 14:42

I think as the time goes on, you will need any names that a trick is known as - so you have nicknames like NeutronSmasher/Johnny Quest as well as pixie set/open set, because the most thorough search is going to be able to tell you that those things are the same.

I think it would be good if in the components sections it just showed the components directly - that seems to happen in the moves list - so that you could just click on "quantum set" straight away and go from there.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 14 Mar 2016 18:17

Nicknames are already supported in the backend of this. The search functionality is the next big thing I'm working on.

Good suggestion regarding just showing all of the components, there's really not that many of them compared to moves.

Also just to make it clear what's going on here, community members can edit the pages and add new moves. You just need a login to be able to do this, PM me if you are interested in beta testing.

janis
Post Master General

Re: Footbag moves database: Now privately testing!

Post by janis » 17 Mar 2016 05:42

I now have a rudimentary search functionality together and more improvements with that are in progress.