Footbag World Map

Working on a footbag-related project? Ask for help, get feedback/advice here.
LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Footbag World Map

Post by LinoSphere » 27 Jun 2016 12:59

i just came up with this idea that might actually might make a lot of sense:

having vague plans of a trip around the world at some point in the next couple of years, i would love to visit footbag players along the way and go to events.

what if there was a map where every player/club around the globe could mark their location, their schedules, possibly available couches, and whatever else they would like to tell about themselves?! ...this would make planning travels so much easier.

so i guess this could easily be implemented using a google map, but i am open to suggestions for open source solutions (open street map?) you techies on here, could there be a way to automatically extract the info from registered clubs on .org, while still maintaining privacy? like making sure that map is only accessible from within .org...

also, i would depend on other people to promote the idea on the facebook group, as i don't use that site.

what do you guys think?
Matthias Lino Schmidt

Allan

Re: Footbag World Map

Post by Allan » 27 Jun 2016 14:07

This is stuck to the top of the Facebook group:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... g2ZtK1JaSE

It's Nick's effort at a map, but we've found it unwieldy to manage.

In the not-too-distant future--hopefully--footbag.org will definitely feature such a map on its homepage, generated from club info. We've had a prototype of it working in the past, but nothing has made it out to the playing public.

So, great idea! We're on it :)

EDIT: the club info on .org is public, so it'll respect the same privacy levels as that does; it lists the club and who's in it, but you gotta be logged in to see contact info for those players ...

LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Post by LinoSphere » 28 Jun 2016 13:03

awesome, that is just what i imagined :) of course that idea was way too basic to not have been thought of before. it looks like i will have to get onto facebook once i actually start travelling, though...

so alrighty then, close this thread ;)
Matthias Lino Schmidt

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Jul 2016 01:18

Canberra, Australia will welcome you. You know what would be cool at some stage, though it would have to have a lot of user input, but to have an app and basically if there's a regular session that comes up, but if you're kicking now, you just press a button and if someone is within a certain radius, you get a message saying. "x is playing at this place". Could be fun for some more tech savvy people than I to work on.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 01 Aug 2016 04:53

boyle wrote:Canberra, Australia will welcome you. You know what would be cool at some stage, though it would have to have a lot of user input, but to have an app and basically if there's a regular session that comes up, but if you're kicking now, you just press a button and if someone is within a certain radius, you get a message saying. "x is playing at this place". Could be fun for some more tech savvy people than I to work on.
This would be amazing. It could even keep track of session length and leave markers after someone played for when you're traveling. You can see all the sites that have been shred at in the last week/month/arbitrary unit of time.
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 15 Aug 2016 03:40

I might actually try to write a super basic iPhone app. We'll see.here's what I'm thinking:

Practice log: user presses a button to signify start of session. Adds up time played.

User map: drops a pin in maps at every place you've shredded

Footbag map: live updated map that shows where others are playing. Can chose live or shred within last week/month.

Contact information: modified, FB group, IFPA, etc.

Events: lists footbag events !

I'll have to learn how to code all that in swift for iOS, then figure out how to share it with you guys without paying the developer fee to get it on the AppStore. (Side loading?)

Thoughts?
Austin

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Aug 2016 10:31

I'm really into all that is being discussed. I wish I had the ability to code, because I would def help with this. But I really hope you guys go along with the ideas.

Allan, of course I've heard about the idea about getting the footbag.org map going and if there is anything I can do to help with that, I'd like to.

Austin, you've got an interesting little idea on your hands. It would be super cool to see where sessions are happening/have happened all around the world. Kind of reminds me of ebird.com, where birders can drop pins on areas for whatever species of bird that was spotted. Love the idea. Will be following this.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 16 Aug 2016 18:14

Anz, what are the chances of you including this in your app? I looked into Swift for coding iOS apps and I just don't have the time. We'll see tho
Austin