Footbag Dictionary app

Working on a footbag-related project? Ask for help, get feedback/advice here.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Footbag Dictionary app

Post by Tjuggles » 18 Sep 2019 00:40

Hi,

So I have just developed a footbag dictionary app, currently for Android (iOS next). It is here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... icktionary

I have put together tricks from a couple of sources. There are currently over 530. I am working on further increasing the list and adding more functionality. Please support me by downloading the app. This will help me to continue developing! I have more apps on the way, and seeing everyone download this will be really helpful. Pass the word around please!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: Footbag Dictionary app

Post by Asmus » 03 Oct 2019 23:01

Cool! I don't have a phone at the moment, but I will download as soon as I do.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 13 Oct 2019 13:57

Asmus wrote:
03 Oct 2019 23:01
Cool! I don't have a phone at the moment, but I will download as soon as I do.
Thank you! There have been a handful of downloads, which is great. I am working on some updates as we speak, and have some good ideas being implemented for future releases!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Oct 2019 16:29

Hi there,

Version 1.1 of the Footbag Dictionary FREE has been released! Updates include
- the addition of over 150 new tricks
- minor ui tweaks

The full version (Footbag Dictionary) should be updated in the next few days or so.

In future updates I will be working on adding additional material to each entry. Next up will most likely be etymology.

If you haven't done so already, please support me by downloading these apps! This will help with the future development of the app which I believe will grow to be an invaluable resource.

Exciting!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 Oct 2019 02:21

The full version is now bumped to 1.1. Over 700 tricks included!

Thank you for the support.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 18 Jan 2020 14:10

Both the free and full versions have been bumped to version 1.15!

This version sees a changed to the sorting algorithm. There was a bug with not all tricks sorting correctly. It is now fixed. Thanks for your support!

The next version should have some of the footbag trick etymology included. Stay tuned!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Dec 2023 17:58

Hello,

After some time, I have updated the Footbag Dictionary app! The biggest change is that I have made the app free and changed to an ads-based model. Thank you so much to those of you who bought the app already and I hope you don't mind that it is now free.

I haven't been able to find time yet to add etymology stuff, but it is still on my to-do list.

Here are the links to download the app:

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/footbag-d ... 1586795106
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... icktionary
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Dec 2023 07:33

Over the last 20 years, I have written down hundreds of tricks that I have hit, some on paper, some here on modified, some in notebooks, some in my phone in sent (and unsent) mails to myself. The result? A scattered plethora of my footbag history that I can't reason about. I have no idea how many times I hit certain tricks. I don't know how many of those aforementioned tricks where a left-foot set. I don't know how many adds all of those tricks amount to. What is my longest consecutive days of kicking? Who knows. All of that information would be great to have at my fingertips. For example, knowing that, out of 1000 mirages that I hit, 990 of them were set from my left foot would help me to realize the gap in my game (i.e., that I need to practice right-foot-set mirages). I have had an idea for a while to develop a digital journal, and in fact started coding one as the first thing I ever coded on a mobile device. Then it went dormant for a while but has been in the back of my mind since. Releasing the Footbag Dictionary app was a first step at reviving this project. Over the last month I have been spending a lot of time getting back on this. So here is the idea, and a few sneek peaks at development.

I am developing a Shred Log app. It is an electronic journal, a way for us to track our sessions, set goals, look up tricks, etc. On the app stores, it will be the same app as the Footbag Dictionary app (links below), but will have a new name and more features; the dictionary will be just one part of the app. Below are some of the features of the app.

Journal
The Journal section is where you enter the tricks that you hit in a session. Did you hit 15 gyro clippers? Record that in your journal. In this screen you can view all of your entries, add new entries, and edit current ones. Here is a screenshot of the current status of this screen:
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 - 2023-12-28 at 00.30.10.png
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 - 2023-12-28 at 00.30.10.png (141.69 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
Goals
The Goal section allows you to set goals for yourself, to hit different tricks. Want to hit 100 (left-foot-set) mirages in the next 7 days? You can enter that goal into Shred Log and watch as you progress towards your goal. Over those 7 days, anytime you enter a journal entry that includes left-foot-set mirages, your goal progress will automatically be updated. Here is a screenshot of what the Goal section looks like thus far:
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 - 2023-12-28 at 00.23.58.png
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 - 2023-12-28 at 00.23.58.png (222.34 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
Dictionary
This is currently what is available on the app stores. You can search for different tricks and learn more about them. Currently there are 708 tricks in the database, and there are loads of easier tricks meaning this is suitable for those just coming into the game, too. Here is a screenshot of the dictionary screen.
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 - 2023-12-26 at 10.18.17.png
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 - 2023-12-26 at 10.18.17.png (312.82 KiB) Viewed 3291 times

Menu
Here is what the main menu looks like so far:
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 - 2023-12-27 at 20.11.35.png
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 12 - 2023-12-27 at 20.11.35.png (131.22 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
Statistics
The Statistics screen will show you totals of your journal entries, including: consecutive days of kicking, total adds, total tricks, add ratio, and more.

Todo
Other features which are on my list of things to include (checked boxes mean they are already being implemented) in the next couple of versions:
- [X] Jumping to the dictionary entry for a goal trick or journal entry
- [ ] Sorting of goals and journal entries
- [ ] A figure showing what percentage of the tricks in your entry are started from each surface. This can be used to help balance your game.

Any and all feedback/suggestions welcome!
TJ Boutorwick