Regional Trends

Talk about your big add moves and concepts in here.
HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Regional Trends

Post by HG » 15 Jul 2006 07:56

I was watching kevin crowley's video again. And for some reason i started thinking about how it seems like there are only slower flowing styles in North America.

For whatever reason, there are no players like Erik Chan, Kevin Crowley, or Nasty Nates older style in europe. I may be wrong about that, but i dont have the fortune of traveling to europe, so i must base my assumptions on videos.

European players DO spin and duck, but i havent seen any that MAINLY spin and duck, like Chan is forced to because of his injury, or like Nasty chose to early in his shred.

I wonder why this is? maybe because of the background of hackysack here, and just jumping into freestyle over in europe?
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 17 Jul 2006 06:53

I'm not nearly the same caliber as Chan or Nasty, but I do know about my own game. I just really enjoy long delays and ducks. Footbag seems easier for me when it's slowed way down. more time to think about things.

Toni Pakkonnen (probably slaughtered the spelling of his name) has a real slow style. He's one of my favorite players to watch.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 17 Jul 2006 07:09

Really? I think he has a faster style. He hits so many 5's and 6's in his runs.

But i guess yeah, it does flow a lot.

Thanks for replying, i thought this topic got locked or something :lol:
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 17 Jul 2006 08:18

He does hit lots of 5s and 6s, but they seem slower than most peoples to me.

I think region does have an effect on how you learn b/c you are learning from those people in your area. If someone in your hometown does lots of huge tricks, you're gonna try and learn lots of huge tricks. If your mentors are doing lots of long strings w/ tons of downtime components, you are going to learn how to do long strings and lots of downtime components. there are still fast players and slow players in each region. Lon Smith goes long and slow, while Sunil Jani goes long and super fast. I'm pretty sure they both learned in cali. I could be wrong though. So I think region helps w/ what u learn to some extent.

but on the flipside of that, Evan Lovely is the only one in our region pushing pendulum. I am not a fan of pendulum, and so I don't do it. I don't think anyone else in the northwest is doing pendulums too much, while it seems to be popular in the northeast based on peoples posts.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 17 Jul 2006 16:58

I think it's pretty accurate to say that you learn from what you see. I've tried to incorporate a lot of my favorite players' moves and combos into my own game, and then add what I like about freestyle in general. Like Red usually tends towards shuffle and good long combos, while Noah usually does a fair amount of shuffle, but with a good amount of downtime and spinning/ducking moves. I myself tend towards lots of downtime moves (partly because I have endurance issues, but mostly just because I love downtime moves).
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

ObArA'BaRs
Flower Child

Post by ObArA'BaRs » 18 Jul 2006 09:32

Dylan Fry got some nice slow beat with his style. Its slow and full of style :D
Im 20
JSACK wrote: wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin.......

Guest_2
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Guest_2 » 22 Jul 2006 09:47

I think it's just a reflection of personality ;-)

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 22 Jul 2006 10:52

were gonna have to discuss that in chicago josh.

But for now, ill just say "no"

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 22 Jul 2006 20:40

I think style is a reflection of how sensitive your nerve-endings are and how your brain translates what you see into leg mechanics. :)

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Re: Regional Trends

Post by Jeremy » 22 Jul 2006 22:04

HenryG wrote:I was watching kevin crowley's video again. And for some reason i started thinking about how it seems like there are only slower flowing styles in North America.
cough Jim Penske cough cough. Not to mention guys like Chad, Sunil, Rippen, Davidson, Ahren etc.

Anyway regarding regional trends - I think Australian's definitely all have strong proportionate toe games - there are no players in Australia that have clipper based games (obviously there are people who are strong on their clippers - but we can all hit proportionatly hard toe moves as well) and I think particular atomic set moves (ie atomic gyro and atomic ducking) are seen as much more standard here than in other places - or at least that's my perception. Obviously this is the Lynton factor in that everybody who plays now has either played with Lynton or played with people who played with Lynton alot and so toe toe stuff and atomic stuff is fairly standard. Definitely there the new generation of players are starting to change the style here a bit though.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 22 Jul 2006 23:50

yeah, toe op dex is popular in Australia, the Lynton factor is definately still there especially regarding atomic sets.

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Re: Regional Trends

Post by HG » 23 Jul 2006 08:21

Jeremy wrote:
HenryG wrote:I was watching kevin crowley's video again. And for some reason i started thinking about how it seems like there are only slower flowing styles in North America.
cough Jim Penske cough cough. Not to mention guys like Chad, Sunil, Rippen, Davidson, Ahren etc.

Anyway regarding regional trends - I think Australian's definitely all have strong proportionate toe games - there are no players in Australia that have clipper based games (obviously there are people who are strong on their clippers - but we can all hit proportionatly hard toe moves as well) and I think particular atomic set moves (ie atomic gyro and atomic ducking) are seen as much more standard here than in other places - or at least that's my perception. Obviously this is the Lynton factor in that everybody who plays now has either played with Lynton or played with people who played with Lynton alot and so toe toe stuff and atomic stuff is fairly standard. Definitely there the new generation of players are starting to change the style here a bit though.

You read my sentence wrong. I mean the ONLY players with slower styles are in N. America. I didnt mean there are ONLY SLOW STYLES in north america. Sorry. I should have made that clearer. But for sure about that atomic/ atomic spinning and gyro in Aus.

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 23 Jul 2006 10:54

Michigan has 3 players who throw pinchers in most of their runs, all inspired by Greg Nelson
zach jahner

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 30 Jul 2006 12:27

Vasek and Honza both have the same hairstyle.
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 30 Jul 2006 12:36

What about players like Reni? Ilja sort of has a slow style. I would say Yves has a slow style in that it has an even tempo that isn't exactly speedy (despite most of it being shuffle, a set of moves normally associated with speed). He certainly has some of the slowest spins.

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 31 Jul 2006 02:51

Frank Remy from France just flows. I would also cite Jere Vainikka (yes I probably spelled that wrong)
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Post by ville » 31 Jul 2006 07:01

Sporatical_Distractions wrote:Toni Pakkonnen (probably slaughtered the spelling of his name)
Toni Pääkkönen :wink:
max wrote:Jere Vainikka (yes I probably spelled that wrong)
No you did not 8)

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 31 Jul 2006 11:47

One of the trends in Tulsa is to not play enough footbag :cry: , but I dont follow this trend 8) .
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 31 Jul 2006 13:49

i just commented on this at shredmonton say that all the edmonton guys have really strong toes moves, which comes from k-reg being the first serious freestyler in the area and it influenced the others in the area. erik was my mentor and i picked up his old fast shuffle style when i started playing and strived to hit alot of the moves that he hit. as my shred grew up i started watching videos and traveling and now that is where my style comes from i think. i still don't like my style, but every one at shredmonton said it has slowed down alot which made me happy!

edit: i also noticed there seems to be pockets of people who use certain shoe types. like the north west and victoria used to use new balance, ontario and manitoba seem to be all about the climacools, where in the east g6's seem very popular, and of course lavers are every where.
A.G.

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 31 Jul 2006 14:42

I believe the self serve (PICK>SAME or OP SCOOP [DEX]>IN/OUT KICK [BOD]) is very popular in europe, perhaps for it's high add count or just it's stylish appeal and time saving attributes.
david