presence of mind

Talk about your big add moves and concepts in here.
abstract
Fearless

presence of mind

Post by abstract » 24 Jun 2009 15:03

what goes through your mind while you string?

are most of your strings filled with pre-planned combinations?

do you count contacts? focus on breathing?

have you ever hit a trick for the first time midstring? did you plan it before the string began, or did it come to you on the fly?

do you feel you have time to think several tricks ahead, or are you in a state of no-mind, where the tricks just happen?

how do you bring back the energy midstring that the first few contacts always receive?
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Jun 2009 21:01

I don't think I have much conscious thought while I'm shredding. Perhaps thinking a little about moves I'm about to hit, but pretty focused and not planning at all. I do sometimes count contacts, but pretty rarely. I can only recall hitting a new trick midstring once, which was just diving whirl, and I'd hit lots of harder similar variations before I hit that so not great achievement for me - wasn't pre planned either, just happened and then I was like "I don't think I've hit that before." Energy for me is not much of a problem.

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 07 Jul 2009 11:16

maybe i posted this in the wrong section, since this has nothing to do with any trick components, per se.

should this be moved to general?

i get the feeling that it is mostly stream of consciousness based on prior training, but i feel one's trick selection also gets impacted by other players in the circle, re: regulating & the like.

with the development of events like circle comp, i'd be interested to hear whether players have set strings they try to hit for variety round vs density round & whether their strings change based on what other players in the circle are hitting.

also, what methods do you use to set up midstring links? anything besides bops / bails / reset moves?

i know jorden ran a "creativity in strings" workshop at Wakahakee 1 that probably included some of these things.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey