What comp best tests your average day-to-day shred?

Talk about your big add moves and concepts in here.

What is the best comp. to measure how *you* shred?

2 minute routines
12%
Shred 30
76%
Sick 3
12%

Total votes: 33

floyd
Shredalicious

What comp best tests your average day-to-day shred?

Post by floyd » 26 Nov 2002 16:25

After seeing Chris Holden's opinion on 2 min routines Vs. sick 3 etc and totally agreeing, I just wondered what everyone else thought.

What comp actually measures how good you are at how you usually play?

Jonathan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Jonathan » 26 Nov 2002 17:28

2 min routines show stamina more than anything else. Shred 30 shows your shred ability while sick three shows your big moves.

Matt
Post Master General

Post by Matt » 26 Nov 2002 18:20

oops i voted wrong. I thought you meant which showcases [Matt]'s talent the best. Therefore i voted sick 3
Like every man of sense and good feeling, I abominate work
-Aldous Huxley

floyd
Shredalicious

Post by floyd » 26 Nov 2002 18:23

Matt, thats what I did mean.

Matt
Post Master General

Post by Matt » 26 Nov 2002 18:25

oh yeah i didnt read the *you*, but still it doesnt measure how well i shred, Just that sick 3 is the comp i would probly perform best in. Im not consistent so...
Like every man of sense and good feeling, I abominate work
-Aldous Huxley

wicked
Fearless

Post by wicked » 26 Nov 2002 22:03

To me, this is a trick question. The answer is all three... Historically, the winner of singles has been the winner of 30second and best three, with very few exception. Since shred became an official worlds event (2000), nobody has beaten the singles champion in 30 second or best three. The only exception was at 99 worlds where ryan won shred but Scott Davidson was singles champ. Haha, ide love to see someone beat the singles champ at 30 second or best three nowadays, but i doubt it will happen..
-ew

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 27 Nov 2002 00:53

My problem is that I've never realy experienced a footbag comp with people who can hit 4 and 5 Add moves, let alone link 'em.
But, by the sounds of it, I think the 30 second shread (although I like the idea of the 30 contacts, not seconds. Who's idea was that again?) would suit me the best. As it is, I'm only hitting a few 3 Add moves, but my linking is getting there.

Acid~Reign
Multidex Master

Post by Acid~Reign » 27 Nov 2002 01:00

hmm... I dunno. I'm caught on the word shred in the question. I wouldn't really call a sick 3 shredding and if I called a routine shredding I think it tends to cut out the artistic side. So I'll vote for 30 secs. But I think ones' skill is best shown in a routine of at least one minute.
Jon Lee

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Nov 2002 05:34

30 second often combines a mini sick 3 for the final three moves anyway. theres a limit to how big the tricks can be cause you want to concentrate on droplessness. but i always see the bigger moves attempted at the end of the run.

floyd
Shredalicious

Post by floyd » 27 Nov 2002 12:57

Cheers for all the replies, just realised I never even put my opinion up.

Basically my main point is I don't really agree with 2-min routines being considered the main event (or even a valid event). Reason being nobody I have ever kicked with aimed to hog the bag for 2 minutes with their main purpose being not to drop. Its like sprinting 100m all the time and then you get to a competition and they throw you in a bloody marathon. No one kicks for 2 minutes by themselves (maybe I am wrong, but I wouldn't want to be in a circle with anyone who did) so why do we test this!!! 2 min choreographed routines remind me of things I don't want my chosen/favourite sport associated with...ice-skating and dancing mainly due to the choreography to music and presentation aspects. Maybe I am dreaming but don't some of you guys want your sport to be on a similar level to skateboarding, inline, BMXing and those extreme sports. Some people want footbag in the olympics, I want it in the X-games.

IMO:
Best event to test day-to-day kicking = 30 sec shred
Best events to watch = Sick 3 & trials
Best kicking you will ever see = Not in a comp.
Best posts = ones that aren't this long...sorry.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Nov 2002 14:50

i didnt read your whole post.
but i agree with what i did read.
are 2 minute routines aimed toward the non-footbag community? coz i think if anything for the sport to be taken seriously the main event SHOULDNT be all about kicking and stupid forehead stalls and juggling and crap. keeping the bag up at all costs. it gives a bad rep. maybe it should be a seperate sport all together.
shred is just something completely different. people dont understand how i can be so into "hacky sack". coz all you do is a kick a bag.

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

2 minutes, 2 important.

Post by NotHisRealName » 27 Nov 2002 15:05

The 2 min routiene, I think, is just another dicipline of footbag.
It's like long-jump in a decathilon(?sp). It may not contain the biggest tricks, or whatever, but it does display grace and controll.
This is a sport, like no other.
Why do we want it to continue it's independance (by not using skateboarding terms) with one breath, but then say that it belongs with those "Extreme" sports, with another?
Footbag is a unique sport, and the 2 minute routiene, though not everyone's 'cup-of-tea' is an important dicipline of the sport.
And, besides, it's one of the defining things that make it a sport, and not just a game.

but that's just my view.

wicked
Fearless

Post by wicked » 28 Nov 2002 10:22

I dont really think that footbag belongs with the extreme sports at all. I think its a cool thing like breakdancing..... Although you guys should have seen this one crowd the boys from L.A. and san diego drew at the hermosa beach bash, which had skating, biking and all that extreme crap. they kicked us out cause we were drawing more of a crowd than their stupid competition,. We werent kicking in a circle either, rather the I formation. (like eye formation but its i formation) it was baddass where we were all just kickin back on this wall and when it was the guys turn u just walked in the middle of a crowd that was making a cirlce around us.. it was alot like a breakdance cirlce. so after u shred u like go sit down and wait for it to be your turn again. It was hella kickback and the crowd was like woa this is something completely differnet from what im use too.. We were there to simply show off, and it worked.
-ew

bake
Shredaholic

2 minute routines compared to shred 30!!

Post by bake » 29 Nov 2002 12:36

Yo Yo shred freaks!

In the argument of what best represents our everday play obviously shred 30. That is not what I am writing about though. The point is 2 minute routines need to exist for a number of different reasons. One although footbag is a sport it is also a art.
Now I know that many of you think that 2 minute routines our weak and lame with all the forehead stalls and flyers. The thing with shred 30 is that I can always watch any circle and see a shred 30. How often do I get to watch Vasek on stage by himself and witness 2 minutes of his footbag skill to music.
Now you think 2 minutes anyone can go out there and do two minutes of weak moves. True! Anyone can go out and do a bunch of easy moves but that is why that person does not win. Can any of you go out there for 2 minutes and shred like you shred in a circle and not drop. No! That is why there is filler like flyers and sole stalls and sick squeeze combo's like Pete's. Can anyone of you do Pete's squeeze combo??
Sure if we want to sell the sport we need to have that cutting edge shred 30 approach because that is what we all do. But honestly I would much rather watch 2 minutes of hard tricks and beautiful coreography than watch 30 seconds of what I watch in every shred video and circle out there. Routines can be bland but it is because people do not put much emphasis on putting a good one together. Well that is it for my diatribe for the day. Peace,
Matt