Taiwan Variety Show Couple with Footbag Skills

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Taiwan Variety Show Couple with Footbag Skills

Post by Senor Grommet » 09 Sep 2007 19:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yThtBKa_nok

this is pretty darn cool; 3 min 20 sec, worth your watching.
Last edited by Senor Grommet on 09 Sep 2007 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 09 Sep 2007 19:29

thats pretty awesome! im gonna try those sole stalls she was doin
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 09 Sep 2007 20:22

Those aren't footbag related skills...that's footbag!! :cool:

GREAT video.

Everyone that does or ever wants to perform footbag MUST watch this video.
These people UNDERSTAND what it means to perform in front of an audience, regardless of the type of act.

Notice these key things:

1) The footbags are HIGHLY visible. White and yellow -- the two brightest choices for props (same as juggling). Yellow is the closest colour to white in grey scale. Noticed the bags are large! And added texture for even higher visibility!! When performing, keep in mind it's for the audience and not just for your own amusement.
2) The costumes are very sharp and professional looking. The two of them stand out from everyone else in a positive way. You know they are the performers.
3) The trick selection is impeccable. The audience can understand each of the tricks and can appreciate them (less is more!!). They also know what they are witnessing is HARD. The performance is broken up into segments (this is important!). Every segment has entirely unique tricks that look different from everything else. No one would ever say "that all looks the same" like they perhaps might for shred.
4) The performance builds (or at least seems to build) in DIFFICULTY.

What I'm trying to say is -- this is better than any competitive routine I have ever seen. It is meant FOR the general public, and will probably attract more new players than shred style ever will. Shred is too fast and almost nobody can understand/appreciate/see what is happening. Shred is intimidating.

When performing, don't just shred. Do tricks that look different than all the other tricks, and group these into segments. Wear something that's different than street clothes. Inspire rather than intimidate.
Stitchers -- please make larger, brighter bags with high-contrast or solid colours! I personally won't be buying low-contrast bags ever again.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Good find Jeremy. :mrgreen:
Jorden Moir

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Sep 2007 20:29

Uh, did I read correctly that they're both 17 years old? Somebody who understands Chinese needs to get on the translation tip on this.

Great find.

Edit: They apparently teach this stuff in some schools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwY_Iw2S ... ed&search=

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 09 Sep 2007 22:06

I think the only thing they could work on is doing everything on both sides. I know people appreciate the immense difficulty of doing things on both sides.

Like what if that girl did that sole stall on her other foot and made it seem really hard? The crowd would have gone even more nuts.

I think a lot of performing is making things that may or may not be hard, look hard.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 10 Sep 2007 00:24

skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8)

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 10 Sep 2007 00:32

I always think the same about shows Jorden.When i get into it before sleeping.

People should change standarts and go for the tennis sized footbags? :D

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 10 Sep 2007 01:55

Aww yeah.
Those sole stalls are so slick!
I want to see those too!

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 10 Sep 2007 03:02

equivalent of americas got talent.
Ben Rea

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 10 Sep 2007 10:17

some new ideas for doubles routines
Pat Thomsen
Syracuse, New York - The connecting point to footbaggers in the NE and Canada. We make pancakes and air conditioners.

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 10 Sep 2007 10:23

Awesome stuff.

I saw the sole stalls used in cometition back at Worlds '98. There was a doubles team, one big guy and one little guy. They ended their routine with the little guy setting it up that high and the big buy did that sole stall. I couldn't believe my eyes b/c it seeled like he would not have been able to put his leg over his head, let alone grab his foot and then stall it.

It seemed so comical too with the Thai or Chinese commentary.
Eskimo Joe

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 Sep 2007 11:50

SO fucking cool! they would have cleaned up this year at worlds.

if they had wanted to present that routine, would there have been issues because of the kicking object they used?
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 10 Sep 2007 12:00

They just critted the ADD system in the face

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 10 Sep 2007 12:38

How can I say this without pissing everyone else off? Ah well, here goes:

I gotta say that I pretty much completely disagree with everyone on this one. I thought it was lame and an "odd ball spectacle". The crowd went nuts, but in my opinion they went nuts in pretty much the same way that crowds at a hot dog eating contest goes nuts.

Similarly, I have to say I prefer footbag routines that are well-timed athletic feats (Vasek) rather than hokier, "juggling show style", ham it up for the crowd shows. Maybe that's why I'm not on the same page in loving this clip.
Bob R.

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 10 Sep 2007 13:39

that was tits!

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 10 Sep 2007 18:14

You're not alone Rieferman.

First and foremost, I'm entirely skeptical of the kicking object they're using. The feathers seem to overly-stabilize the object, and not to mention slow it down considerably. Its insane stallability was a joke. I think anyone could hack that around without any difficulty.

The first skit was nothing special. The second was original to me, at least, but still I think could be done in about an hours practice max. Next, the sole stalls are pretty cool, but it seems like cheating because of the bag they're using. And the last skit is just more hacking with the onesidedness of a noob.

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 10 Sep 2007 18:55

yeah thats not really a footbag ..its a jianzi, a chinese shuttlecock. it has feathers on it and that definitely stabelizes it. the routine wasnt bad since they did tricks that are out of the ordinary... but the one sidedness isnt so great imo.
looked kinda cool but like guy above said.. the chinese crowd will go nuts to about anything. They are probably also controlled by one of those signs that light up "Applause" and if they dont applaud they are gettin dragged out the backdoor and executed for not sticking with the program.. k that last one was a bit over the edge 8O

ps:im part chinese. °_°

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 10 Sep 2007 19:57

Jian zi are cool as shit! My best friend brought me one back from China when she went earlier this summer. It's made in a slightly different style, but it's super fun to play with. I love it. :D

I personally enjoy both this style of performance and Vasek style of performance. Highly choreographed shred routines will never catch the public's eye for every reason Jorden specified, but that doesn't mean that they can't be appreciated by those of us that play.

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 11 Sep 2007 00:47

Rieferman wrote:I gotta say that I pretty much completely disagree with everyone on this one. I thought it was lame and an "odd ball spectacle". The crowd went nuts, but in my opinion they went nuts in pretty much the same way that crowds at a hot dog eating contest goes nuts.
Amen brother. That was very lame. The only thing that was kind of cool was the girl doing the sole stalls, but even that's mostly a measure of flexibility.
By the way, were their left legs stapled to the ground?
Old Skool

x+y
Shredalicious

Post by x+y » 11 Sep 2007 06:24

yeh they werent that good
i think just one colour footbag is easiest to see
any time there is more than one colour its harder to see
i think they are pretty cool though
in china i think they actually do this stuff alot it seems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PFZMjXO81s&NR=1

ive seen lots of videos of this and if you see the second video that ken posted, you ca see that they - unlike us - still do team choreographed routines. we should have more 3 or more teams!

omg i just saw the rest of the video that ken posted after the origninal post. Omg that was off the hook. Thats not teaching it in schools thats 8 teenage kids who could get gig anywhere doing that and im sure they are very successful.

there really arent any resources at all - that ive seen - for people wanting to play team freestyle. and more than two people in a team except for goldbergs ocean county clippers routine has been completely forgotten. I mean this year at worlds there were only four teams competing two were playing doubles BY THEMSELVES the other two teams were fortunatly playing with EACHOTHER but only one team was playing well together.

but this is seriousy a good example of some stuff which you could do in group freestyle. In australia i am 90% sure we will have a chance to do a 15 mintue performance of whatever we like in march of next year and i am certain we are going to do some team freestyle to music. And i will be drawing on this and anything else i can find to make something really organised and worth watching

big props to ken for posting man

dan ednie
Hideki Yamamoto
http://www.educ.cc.keio.ac.jp/~y14304/
available until end of Mar '11