Nostalgia Video Compilation.

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Re: Nostalgia Video Compilation.

Post by Eskimo Joe » 12 Sep 2013 15:21

Oh my shit. Thank you so much for putting this all together Jay. I never would have been exposed to James Risden if not for this. I want to help him defend the universe. I want some of his style. Now I have "fresh" footbag footage to absorb.
Eskimo Joe

Max Power
Fearless

Post by Max Power » 12 Sep 2013 16:13

Great Thread Jay. I love all the old hidden gems that I forgot about and I really love the ones that I've never seen before. I most have watched aggressive grounds once or twice a day for at least a year. I don't think I've ever seen that old Montreal video and a few others but that's the one that really jumped out at me. No repeats, right? No repeats, right? (super slow mo) Noooooooooooo reeepppeeeattts, rrrriigghhht??????
Drew Martin

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 12 Sep 2013 22:06

David Clavens.

#1 http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/-12655

Here's #1. This video is my frikken life - and I don't think anyone gets why. It isn't even the best video of Derek, or the best video from Erik, but man, I played this video OVER and OVER. I would love to type up all the history on this one, but in a nutshell, this was me at like 14 watching this and just not understanding how any of this was done. I think I could do dimwalk and stuff, but I would come home and watch this video over and over. I loved the cat, the carpet, the glass thing in the back, it all just felt so perfect.

Derek may have been my first favorite player - he just seemed so frikken effortless with everything and the bag was just flipping around. Watching this video almost brought tears to me eyes - I'm not kidding you - I was so happy to relive that moment when he does whirlwind. Like, you have to understand I USED TO STAND IN MY COMPUTER ROOM AND DO WHIRLWIND IN THE AIR BECAUSE OF DEREK. Is that not insane?

Oh man, and the music - if I was casting a three part elven trilogy tomorrow I would have Erik Chan on board faster than Richard Abshire to fieldsfabrics.com on new samples release day. That fast. Anyway, the video also has him playing with a Mr. Sandman - and this was right at that point where people were being really anal about 32 panel bags - so to me, Derek was ripping it with the same $6 thing that I had - and that was really inspiring to me. Him saying superfly at the end is also amazing. And his necklace. Ugh, so good.

#2 http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/3777

Okay, so this is a little bit of a selfish endeavor, because I doubt anyone reading this was even at this tournament, but man, how good is this frikken video? How insane was Chilly Philly 05? Like, no one can relate to how stoked I was to be driving down in my parent's mini van to go to this tournament. The first few frames capture that ride that Alex did, which was similar to mine, and we were just so frikken stoked. Ugh! This encapsulates East Coast shred so well.

And then, of course, you have Papa Goldberg stepping into minute 1 like a boss. And Ales - come on - his face here just like, summarizes footbag, doesn't it? I mean, truly, he's just like, "yes, I know this is amazing, and I know that I flew here to kick this little bag, and now, my friends, we are about to execute." So good. Can I get a frikken shout out for that cereal place that was next to the hotel? Anybody? Guys? Felix? Elmer? (If you get that last reference you are my hero).

Anyway, you have Jorden here going ape shit right, like he escaped from his basement that year and everyone is just like "how the hell did you think of tapping legover?" Unreal. That tournament was STACKED - felix, ales, jorden, ellis, yacine, bevier, brad nelson - Dude, so, so good. I think Sunil and Peter, too - like, seriously, how do you beat that? There is this moment in my head of Jorden doing 9 royales and everyone just exploding.

You can't put this video out without recognizing Bob Riefer who organized the whole thing, Alex for making a sick edit, Ellis for bringing the first Footfighters to the tournament, Goldberg for flying Felix in... man, so much story in the background circles of this video. So awesome.

#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo0bLBQxSE

Brad Nelson is another epic member of my after school club. Okay, I can remember coming home and talking to Brad Nelson on AIM and complaining to him that I couldn't do whirr. I mean, this is just epic - Brad was the man, and so was John Mahood. This video serves to preserve all those amazing memories I have of Brad and his chilled out style. I don't think anyone besides John and Caleb can really relate to what I'm saying here. Brad was just too cool for school.

This video is sick for so many reasons, but really, I think I'm picking videos for feeling, rather than shred. But come on, don't you just have a little faith in humanity when he lays down flip big apple. This remind me of James Risden, for the record, and someone better dig up some old Risden footage to put on this thread. Anyway, Erik's caption on this video says more than I can. Props to Brad, props to his garage, and thank god for West Virginia.
Jay Boychuk

slavgan
Shredaholic

Post by slavgan » 13 Sep 2013 00:04

Thank you Jay for this epic topic and amazing collection of the videos!
David wrote: Like, you have to understand I USED TO STAND IN MY COMPUTER ROOM AND DO WHIRLWIND IN THE AIR BECAUSE OF DEREK
David, you make me cry to reading this. Great memories. Thank you for sharing!
Slava Sidorin
www.flyd.ru

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 13 Sep 2013 16:04

That was incredible, Dave.
One thing that I remember from that Chilly Philly was you messaging me and asking what I thought of your game in a video (I think it must have been a different one from the same event) and all I said was something like, "The vortex was okay, but more flipside double downs," and, like, nothing positive whatsoever. I remember that really vividly. So it always baffles me that you bring up my name when I feel that I was pretty unsupportive :P

It was also great to see what videos are meaningful to Anssi. It always seems like he has such a hard exterior, so it's really interesting and insightful to see him in awe over an around the world :)

Dready09
Hack Fiend

Post by Dready09 » 14 Sep 2013 11:54

One of the first videos i ever saw in footbag
Also probably the best routine ive ever seen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BmIb-GbY5E
Corey Corey Corey Hahalis

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 16 Sep 2013 03:36

:D
Sergey Pikalov

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Sep 2013 07:23

I guess this series is over now. Just wanted to express my appreciation to Jay for conceiving this project, and making it happen. Also big thank you to everybody who selected videos and took the time to write their thoughts. That was a lot of fun.

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 27 Sep 2013 00:08

Not over just yet, but some late submissions will trickle in. Thanks for your gratitude, Ken. I'm glad this idea didn't flop.

Tuukka Antikainen

When Jay asked me to choose my top 3 favourite footbag videos, my first reaction was: this will be painful. After skimming through my hard drive and external hard drive for hours I managed to choose my top 30 videos. That list could change any day though since there are so many good videos. After watching other’s choices (many of them were on my lists as well) and filtering out some full length footbag films I ended up having around 10 vids left that had not been mentioned yet. Just based on today’s feelings I ended up selecting following top 3 out of them:

1. Telocvicna 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wokToJxuVFg Absolutely fuckingk massive video. This clip was pretty mind blowing when it came out and has some tricks/combos that are still after over 10 years rare. Video starts with double spinning osis b2b. It is done so effortlessly that you almost miss it. Who even hits that link nowadays?

2. Colorado Shred Symposium 4 http://www.footbag.org/media/985/hackrifice-css4.wmv (http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/7312) Lon is an incredible player. I had few Lon’s vids on my top 30, but since Aleksi already mentioned Lon Special I did not include it. In this vid there are massive runs from Lon as well as from Jim. I used to watch this vid a lot to get pumped up before session (especially during winter sessions since this is also indoor shred). Colorado Shred Symposium is a tournament I always wanted to visit.

3. Ryan routine ’97 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkuXC_XLVYM I think this was the first routine I ever saw and I loved it. The atmosphere builds during the routine: will he go dropless or not. Even now I still get excited and hope for dropless Also this routine is from the time when Ryan was not dominating yet.

So to speak there were many runnerups, but I will not publish them yet since someone else might be giving his/her choices still.

P.S. Some of my absolute favourites are full length movies Sultans of Shred, 99’worlds, Champions’ League and Aggressive Grounds. Those vids I watched over and over in the beginning of my career, but three first are not available online I think.
Jay Boychuk

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 27 Sep 2013 11:29

Finally got my hands on this thread yesterday night. I want to sleep so late cause of it, it gave lots of awesome emotions.

Thanks for the compilation Jay!

mentor
BSOS Beast

Post by mentor » 30 Sep 2013 16:09

Haven't been on modified for a long time, and what a great idea and thread this is Jay. As I properly mentioned before... you are a great asset for this sport on so many different levels. :D

It feels kind of strange though, that I filmed, co-edited and chose the music for Kampa Park without getting mentioned. It must have been an old quote... :oops:
Mads Hole

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Nostalgia Nostalgia

Post by C-Fan » 05 Sep 2020 12:22

Jay reminded me of this thread today, pointing out the meta level of having nostalgia about a nostalgia thread. I agree though.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 16 Sep 2020 11:16

Hahahaa. Good stuff in here.