My Footbag Journey: Road To The US Open Tournament

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
randomcrayon
Shredaholic

My Footbag Journey: Road To The US Open Tournament

Post by randomcrayon » 20 Aug 2018 18:25

Hi Modified!

I'm training for the US Open in Las Vegas this December.

The premise of this show is to chronicle my progress and raise more public awareness for the great sport of footbag.

Any feedback about already released episodes and/or suggestions for future ones will be appreciated.

Cheers :D

Episode 1
Flipside Phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Xn3holmxA
Last edited by randomcrayon on 20 Aug 2018 18:27, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Barrows

randomcrayon
Shredaholic

Re: My Footbag Journey: Road To The US Open Tournament

Post by randomcrayon » 20 Aug 2018 18:25

Last edited by randomcrayon on 20 Aug 2018 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Barrows

randomcrayon
Shredaholic

Post by randomcrayon » 20 Aug 2018 18:26

Episode 3
Spinning Ducking Paradox Mirage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewks1xDe5Ds&t=1s
Ben Barrows

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Nice vlogs!

Post by C-Fan » 21 Aug 2018 08:11

Not sure if I've commented on these on Facebook or not, but cool series! I really like the idea of a series that leads up to, and hypes an event. It'd be especially cool if you were working on a Shred30 or routine, and we could see your progress on them leading up to the event.

2 minor constructive criticisms:
- Sound quality and volume shift a lot throughout the video. There are ways to normalize/fix this in post, depending on your editing program.
-Video length is a bit long, but that depends on who your target audience is. Personally, I'd shore up some time by cutting out the missed attempts of moves.

I love all the beautiful backgrounds, especially the murals. I also like the insights into the camera. Nice work Ben!

randomcrayon
Shredaholic

Post by randomcrayon » 22 Aug 2018 09:20

Thanks Ken!

We're very fortunate to have such aesthetically pleasing places to play here in Playas de Tijuana. Especially the boardwalk, which has a stage overlooking the ocean that would be perfect for hosting a jam/tournament :wink: But there's only so many varied locations to get footage, so that's one of the reasons we're taking the show on the road.

It's an interesting story of how it began. I'll start a footblog and go into it there when I have more time.

I'll be covering routine preparations/run-throughs in the last few episodes but didn't consider demonstrating Shred30, since it wasn't offered at the previous US Open. But that's a great idea to show the audience what it's all about.

On that note, I'll make sure to include a segment on Big 3/Sick 1 as well.

Circle comp will be a bit more difficult, as I'm solo for most of my playing. However, I do get up to California to kick with Damon Mathews every once in a while, and he mentioned that there's another footbagger in his area that is looking to return from his hiatus, so hopefully we'll be able to include them in at least one episode.

Regardless, the plan is to do a bonus show of the actual event after the official season's complete. So, that'll give people more general context of what a footbag tournament entails.

And I'll pass along the technical comments to my friend, who shoots and edits the whole thing. We're learning as we go and are making active strides to make each video better than the subsequent one.

I initially mentioned the same thing about minimizing drop attempts but part of our vision is to show that there's a lot of work that goes into becoming proficient at this sport. So to appeal to people who don't yet play, having them see that even experienced players still come across obstacles may make it more accessible to a wider demographic.

Having said that, the audience only needs to see so many failed Phoenixes to get the gist :lol: And quality over length is the goal, so we'll be mindful of that and strive to find a comfortable balance for footbaggers and non-footbaggers alike.

Now off to go shoot Episode 4 8)
Ben Barrows

randomcrayon
Shredaholic

Post by randomcrayon » 25 Aug 2018 12:53

Ben Barrows

randomcrayon
Shredaholic

Post by randomcrayon » 03 Sep 2018 19:43

Episode 5