!! ThomASS Worlds DVD !!

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 22 Oct 2004 11:27

I'm working on buying it.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 Oct 2004 11:31

Yeah I had just PMed Ryan yesterday about this -- is he still around?

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 22 Oct 2004 11:32

Dunno. I also just PM'd him.

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 22 Oct 2004 13:39

ON topic:

This vid rocks!!

Off topic

Jeremy,
Bap is about alot more than hitting big moves mid string. Derek wrote a while back that he would have been shocked if he made it into BAP, and I would have been to. I'm not saying he doesn't hit BAP worthy combos, especialy on EDITED videos. When and where he chose to bust phat at worlds were not in the circles that would have helped his BAP status.
Also BAP is about consistency. Almost every person who made BAP was at a previouse worlds. ( the 2 JM's being the exceptions) I'm sure the more tourneys you go to the better your chances of making BAP are, not all BAPers check modified to see whos busting fat in EDITED videos.
Also Brad Nelson had 69 midstring allong with jani walker and 5 5's all midstring on this vid and you make no call for his bapdom.
And just because someone can bust fatter than an old BAPer doesn't mean they should be in BAP. Bap level constantly changes, (witch is most guys say BAP 19..) and just because you are good enough to make BAP ten years ago doesn't mean you should make it today. And just because you can school some old BAPer who hasn't been schooling doesnt mean you are good enough to be in either.
Anyway I'm sure Derek won't take any offence to this because I and the rest of the shred world knows hes awsome. But makeing BAP takes somthing more than being awsome. Some people don't like that, but I think its great that way.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 22 Oct 2004 20:00

Fair call - you've played with him more than me. I can only comment on what I've seen in edited videos.

Also - if some of your comments were referring to me saying that I'll never get into BAP - I said that because I'll never accept an induction - not because I don't think I'll ever be good enough. I'm a pretty confident person and I think I'm pushing the boundaries of footbag in some areas. If the world champs were in Ulverstone, Tasmania tomorrow I think I could represent pretty well. I'm sure I'd blow a few minds with a couple of unmentioned moves.

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 23 Oct 2004 10:19

Jeremy wrote:if some of your comments were referring to me saying that I'll never get into BAP .
Nope. What I've seen of you kicks ass!!

Some vid highlights from the top of my head(sorry I can't spell names):
B Nelson: pdx legbeater>blury whirl>pdx torque>PS whirl >string
Jere L: bluriest>blurier>bluriest>superfly>scorpions
Vasek: 4 ripstiens>revers zigzag>2 ripsriens
Juan R: mobius>big apple rolled off foot
P Irish: steping inspinning pdx whirl> string!
lots more

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 23 Oct 2004 11:28

Jeremy wrote: I'm sure I'd blow a few minds with a couple of unmentioned moves.
Oh, yeah?

Like what?
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 25 Oct 2004 11:28

I picked up my copy from the post office today. . .unfortunatley I haven't been home to wacth it yet. I'll let you know what I think after I've seen it. Don't expect a good review though, because I'm not good at that kinda thing.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 25 Oct 2004 13:51

mosher wrote:
Jeremy wrote: I'm sure I'd blow a few minds with a couple of unmentioned moves.
Oh, yeah?

Like what?
Pixie ducking slurry da da curve!! (butterfly foot pretty much stays on the ground for the last "dex"!) 8O 8O 8O

:P

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 26 Oct 2004 06:38

I wacthed the two disc set last night. I really enjoyed. I suppose the quality wasn't great, but it didn't really take away from the shredding. The first time I wacthed them I was in the living room using my mom's DVD player and was really upset becasue it kept skipping, but when I took it to my room it worked fine. I recomend getting this DVD set if you want to see what went down at worlds.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Nov 2004 19:13

I recently got a free copy from Ryan, and have watched it a couple times.

On the whole I really enjoyed the video.

The biggest downpoint has already been mentioned: the video quality. Ryan`s camera is either old or he couldn`t output the video onto his computer or something, so it all looks kinda pixelated, with muted colors.

That said, you can still see what everybody is doing, and you can still tell if tricks are `the` or not. I didn`t mind it much at all.

I`d say the biggest selling point of the video is the player variety and selection. The video features lots of big name players like Vasek and Ales, but it also has a ton of footage of less-well known badass players like Dan Ednie, Nasty Nate, and Vandell. There`s some good Clavens and Caleb footage as well.

For me the thing I enjoyed most was that it really captured the vibe at worlds. I didn`t take a lot of photos at worlds, but if I ever want to reminisce about Worlds 04 in Montreal, I feel all I have to do is watch this vid, and re-read my blog once, and I will have a good feel of it. There`s an entire chapter dedicated to silly stuff that Ryan did, which was pretty funny, and shows the silly party vibe that worlds had.

I also enjoyed the music. There`s some songs from the 90s which brought back memories, and there`s good Notorious BIG on there as well.

Off the top of my head, there was a lot of footage of the following players: Vasek, Jorden Moir, Peter Irish, Penske, Nate Linscott. I`d say those guys have the longest sections. There`s also some good footage of Sebastien, Ales, and Derek. He also got the shred on the stage on Saturday night, so that`s Vasek with a bunch of Finns, and I liked that part, because I`m a fan of lots of the Finnish styles.

If you were at worlds, I recommend you get this vid cause it will remind you of your time there. Kinda like a video postcard/diary. If you weren`t there, and you dont care about image quality, I also recommend you get it, just so you see what went down.

If you haven`t seen much footage of Jorden, Nate Linscott, Ednie, or Vandall, then this DVD is also a good choice for you. I think thats what I enjoyed the most, seeing footage of players I hadn`t seen much of elsewhere.

Overall, real good video, I recommend it. As stated by others though, if you don`t own any footbag videos, or you want to lend a video to a friend to introduce them to footbag, you might be better off with a video of better visual quality, which is betted edited, like Sick 03.

Chris Hanratty
Mr. Jokey...Joke Maker

Post by Chris Hanratty » 04 Dec 2004 14:09

I'm definately buying a copy. But I'm a little concerned about the quality issue. Any way that someone could play it on their PC and take a screenshot? I don't know if it would accurately portray the video quality or not, but it's worth a shot. I'll probably get it anyways, but quality would be nice since I'm going to pay $25 CDN.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Dec 2004 19:01

K. I just finished watching ALL of this AMAZING video!!!
The quality is very bad, yes, but after a while I didn't even notice it (except when he did the freezeframes and zoomed in with all the pixelation. The slowmotion was also really chunky in the transition from slow to regular and vie versa -- that was pretty disturbing as sometimes I missed an entire move in the jump.

Okay -- the shred is what this video is all about. It is all there. The PLAYER VARIETY is the best I have EVER seen in a shred video! There were some intermediates in there. I enjoyed watching footage of my friends, Derek Vandall and Andrew Grant. I really liked how there was a section of, like, Vasek, Honza, Peter and Caleb! Caleb is so good!! I can never get enough of Jorden and I found his 3 minute section wasn't nearly enough, though there was some other footage of him scattered here and there. (I also found that a few of the same clips were used more than once and I found that strange...)

The music was GREAT. Like Ken said, Notorious BIG was AWESOME to Vasek's section!! I can't believe this song has never been used in a shred video before, it's SOOO perfect! I couldn't stop giggling. I loved it. The editing and music didn't seem to fit together, but the quality of the actual SHRED was just amazing and the FUNNEST to watch. There was a long section of Ryan and his roommates (Mike Anello and I forget who else) doing very strange things. I enjoyed the balancing of cans on their heads and farting(?????) But I ended up skipping a lot of it -- I will have to watch it another time :p

All in all, definately one of my favourite shred videos right now (I dig Fourkast for Ricky and Lon footage, but this is just a REALLY fun DVD!) The menus are fun to look at and fun to just sit on -- very clean cut style. Nice background music. Easy to navigate and nice previews that are accurate to what's inside.

I also got a bonus disc entitled Erik special!!!!!! It is another 10 minutes of shred to The Postal Service, a band I have recently started listening to a lot. It is really awesome and Ryan is so cool! I also got a bunch of crap in my package and I'm wondering if anybody else got this too. I got a couple paperclips, a joker from a deck of cards, a subway receipt, a pill, and some other stuff.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 07 Dec 2004 19:39

Erik Chan wrote:KI also got a bunch of crap in my package and I'm wondering if anybody else got this too. I got a couple paperclips, a joker from a deck of cards, a subway receipt, a pill, and some other stuff.
Yeah, to save Ryan on postage, I had him mail the package to my folks, so they could send it to me along with one of their care-packages. They opened up the DVD to see what was inside, and there was apparently some ticket saying: `admit one to XXX show` or something like that. :oops:

:lol:

cryan
Circle Kicker

Re: !! ThomASS Worlds DVD !!

Post by cryan » 21 Apr 2005 18:30

ThomASS wrote:I have a dvd with all the best shred that went down in Montreal. It is over an hour long and is just plain awesome....its got vasek and jorden specials, ales/vandal/ednie/more... at the rialto, seb/max/clavens/more... at the tam tam , place de arts section, some random shred, what went down in the hotel, caleb..peter...sebastian..honza..jim..brad..TONS OF SHRED...tons tons tons- you need to see this video!!!!

i am at the computer lab right now bc i have dial up in my room :cry: Once i see how many people are interested i will get my mailing info up.

ohh its soo good
p

Please send me info on how to purchase your video.
THANKS C
eager to learn