how to get tons of new footbag-videos

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
sam
Hack Fiend

how to get tons of new footbag-videos

Post by sam » 22 Sep 2004 06:07

hi there

i had this idea and i'd like to know if it sounds interesting to some of you. i'm one of the webmasters of www.footbag.ch. we had some nice footbag-videos on our server, but if you have a 30 minutes film in good quality online, the download-size is about 400 megabytes. this slows down the page and causes troubles because it's just to much traffic.

i saw the list on modified.ca about "all" footbag vhs / dvd ever produced. i saw about 5 (?!?) of them... i think, the authors of *old* footbag-videos don't care any more about copying them. so my plan would be to rip the vhs-tapes, save them on good divX-quality on a cd and send two copies away. the two recipents would be very happy about the new film, make another copy of the cd and send themselfes to two other persons. those again, and like this it'd be spread around very quickly. and nearly for free, everyone only needs to burn two copies and pay for the shipping.
here ( http://www.footbag.ch/misc/video.htm ) is a example how this list could look like (of course there has to be a *professional* website where you can sign in, sign out, change adress and more).

and it's not only about old videos! it's the same about new videos. rather than posting a very bad quality video on the internet, the author could just send it to the two first persons on the list, and it would take it's way very quickly! or guys like franck rémy have tons of very cool videos on their computers - those videos have never been online, just because they're to big to be put online!

if you look at the page linked above, person 1 could be in europe, person 2 in usa - and person 1 would ship to other europeans, person 2 to other americans. like this, it wouldn't cost to much for shipping.

that's all.

samy

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 22 Sep 2004 06:30

Sounds like a cool idea. . .I'm in!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 22 Sep 2004 06:33

if you had permission from the maker of the video, I would be willing to be part of a footbag video tree. That kind of thing is really popular with Phish concerts and the like. Look into it with the makers of whatever video you want to start with, and when the tree is ready to get going, let me know. I'm game.

m
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 22 Sep 2004 06:38

Count me in, I can watch footbag footage till my eyes bleed.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

ted
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ted » 22 Sep 2004 07:40

Yes!
Theodore Anderson

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 22 Sep 2004 08:13

Werd.
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 Sep 2004 09:46

Me too

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 22 Sep 2004 09:49

Sounds cool.
Cole Hobson

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 22 Sep 2004 10:31

Grea idea!
Kaushik Amancherla

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 22 Sep 2004 10:35

Can someone with the discs make a torent file too to speed up distribution ?

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 22 Sep 2004 11:31

I think we should start with some of the old vhs that are not available anymore. Is there anyway someone can talk to the owners/producers of the video's and ask for there permission. I don't see why it would be a problem if the tape isn't being sold anymore.

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 22 Sep 2004 12:09

aight dawg im in.

i like to speak ebonics
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

millenniumtree
Multidex Master

Post by millenniumtree » 22 Sep 2004 14:02

Yes, once there is a video, someone set up a torrent!! I love bittorrent, and would happily leave my download open for all of you leechers.
If you're not familiar with bittorrent, check it out.
http://bittorrent.com/
IMHO, it's the BEST way to distribute large files (> 50 megs)

If we got all of the footbaggers to get into bittorrent, it would be really sweet.
Stephen Blair
Stoughton, WI
Footblog | Blog | Boring Website

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 22 Sep 2004 14:14

I'm game, until I run out of money to buy blank DVDs. I'd also have to figure out how to copy DVDs. I have a burner, but I've just never figured it out.
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

pill
BSOS Beast

Post by pill » 22 Sep 2004 15:01

i think he meant copy the files onto a cd, not dvd, because much more people have cd burners than dvd burners. i'd be in if it's alright with the makers of the video's
scott behmer

sam
Hack Fiend

Post by sam » 23 Sep 2004 05:35

hi people!
wow - you guys realy seem to like my idea, as much as i like it. just to answer the question: i think burning them on normal cd-rom is much more intelligent, because nearly nobody has a dvd-burner. and empty dvd-roms are way more expensive than cd-roms.

so the things we should do are
- create a website where people can sign in and which shows "the tree", so everybody nows to whom he has to ship the cds.
- may be on the website, there should be a possiblity to vote which video is next? i think even more than one 30minutes VHS can be put on a cd using DivX
- ask the video-authors for permission to copy the tape
- ask interested people who possess those tapes to *start* the tree, which means to rip the tape and burn the first cds

i myself would be interested in doing the website. who is running modified.ca? may be we could use this server, otherwise it'd be possible to use footbag.ch or may be planetfootbag.com.

who else would be interested to do some work to get this thing running?

samy

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 23 Sep 2004 05:53

I think this forum is ultimitly run by a guy named Jer - who is from Canada - Erik probably know the most about it since he was one of the (3?) creators of this forum.

I really like the idea and I think it probably would definitly be possible to use this site. If not - the other place that might allow it would be www.footbag.org - Maybe Allan could help set it up?

It really is a fantastic idea - I think it's no surprise that you've recieved such a good response!! I'll definitly be involved!

It sounds like you've really put lots of thought into it and I think it should work. I guess the issue you haven't mentioned is people who fail to send on the cds - there could be lots of reasons why they don't such as technical diffilculties or lazyness. I know it's something we'd hope wouldn't happen but there should be some kind of policy in place anyway. CDs are very cheap these days and I don't think the postage would be very expesive so maybe the person who sent them their cds could send on the next ones or something like that.

Anyway keep up the top work!

millenniumtree
Multidex Master

Post by millenniumtree » 23 Sep 2004 08:06

Here's what I'm envisioning:

A website that allows people to confirm that they have:
1) Received their CD
2) Burned their 2 copies
3) Mailed their CDs

Then there would be a pretty display similar to this one:

NOTE: I _DO NOT_ have a working product, this is a mockup.

Along with the CD, there would be an piece of paper that says something like:

When you receive this, please log on to www.somewhere.com and record that you have received your CD

I would certainly be willing to develop this system, but it might take me a few weeks, as I've been pretty busy lately.
Stephen Blair
Stoughton, WI

millenniumtree
Multidex Master

Post by millenniumtree » 23 Sep 2004 12:31

I really do like this cd-based distribution tree, it's an interesting, old-school meets new-school idea for hard-copy content distribution. If a few people on the tree have high-speed internet and can download the videos directly with bittorrent or otherwise, then burn them, all the better, it'll just speed up the distribution tree.

There are so many things this system could be used for...
You could take over the world with it!!! Muahahahahahahaaaa!
(Sorry, occupational hazard, always thinking of taking over the world)
Stephen Blair
Stoughton, WI

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 23 Sep 2004 12:57

I in.
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!