back to footbaggin

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
tytanium0503
Circle Kicker

back to footbaggin

Post by tytanium0503 » 13 Mar 2007 19:21

Hey guys I've been casually footbaggin for a couple years now, but now my goal is to get serious about it. Once the weather gets colder I don't play so much, but now i can continue through winter.

I have a pair of lavers and have modded the laces and toebox, and i received my facile mr sandbag recently.

I'm regaining my kick control, and seem to be doing alright(despite the cramped space). I can't seem to get toe flicks down like videos I've seen. I mean, all you guys have to do is casually flick your foot up and it sends the bag flying. I've tried relaxing my feet and using my foot as a whip but I can't seem to do it when the bag is semi close to me. Farther away i can do. I'm working on stalls a bit though, it seems to help. With my strong side, I am able to do toe stalls, inside stalls, and can do a clipper after a few tries. I'm drilling my flip side though, and the muscle memory is getting alot better(can do inside and toe about 60% of the time).

If you guys have any tips for my toe flicks or technique I'd love to hear some advice and comments. I'll try posting a short video to see if you guys can point out some flaws I'm not able to see. Thanks :)

edit: by the way i live in northwest Arkansas, and am 17, if anyone near here wants to kick it

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 13 Mar 2007 20:44

For toe flicks I kinda let my leg fall limp and then tense it up and whip my toe up as the bag hits the toe box.

For the other stuff, just keep at it. This game is equal parts desire and hard work. You have to REALLY want it, and then you have to work REALLY hard to get it. Some things come more natural than others, but don't get frustrated when it takes you a long time to skool a move. Just keep at it, and the moves and concepts will come. Good luck!
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

tytanium0503
Circle Kicker

Post by tytanium0503 » 14 Mar 2007 05:04

thanks for the help. I definitely am trying my best to do this, and I'm also keeping at it. The reasons i stopped before is because my left hip flexor felt like it was going to give out. I would try to inside stall with my left foot, but i would feel a sort of popping sensation in my left hip socket/groin area, and i wouldn't be able to hardly walk. Now I am stretching properly and it hasn't hurt at all yet.

also, how much will taking the canvas out of my lavers reduce their lifespan?
Tyler Coles

tytanium0503
Circle Kicker

Post by tytanium0503 » 14 Mar 2007 18:29

wow, i think i'm finally getting the hang of the toe kicks. Once the bag hits my foot, i then straighten my leg, I was trying to whip the bag with my toe.. >_<
Tyler Coles

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 14 Mar 2007 19:27

tytanium0503 wrote:thanks for the help. I definitely am trying my best to do this, and I'm also keeping at it. The reasons i stopped before is because my left hip flexor felt like it was going to give out. I would try to inside stall with my left foot, but i would feel a sort of popping sensation in my left hip socket/groin area, and i wouldn't be able to hardly walk. Now I am stretching properly and it hasn't hurt at all yet.

also, how much will taking the canvas out of my lavers reduce their lifespan?
How much were you stretching when you pulled your hip flexor before? You may have been stretching too much. There's a new school of philosophy that says you should stretch only after you shred, or even not at all. I've been playing a year and a half, and I go pretty hard for about 2 hours at a time, usually 4 times a week and I've yet to have any serious problems of that nature, and I never stretch, except maybe my calves to try to counter shin splints.

Take out the canvas. If done properly (basically don't shred them all up when you do it), it doesn't decrease the lifespan at all. I had my first pair for a whole YEAR. Yeah mod your lavers asap bro, you'll definitely feel the difference. There's some tutorials in Bags n Equipment I think. God, I've posted like a ton of tips on this I really need to just have a ready link with my own tutorial. I'll try to work on that.

tytanium0503
Circle Kicker

Post by tytanium0503 » 14 Mar 2007 19:49

well your tips are really helping me, before i wasn't stretching at all. I definitely needed to though because i could feel a tightness in that area, it may have been an injury from tae kwondo years ago, but it's getting better.
Tyler Coles

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 15 Mar 2007 04:10

This is what I wrote in that thread a few down from here about modding mesh lavers:

I really recommend soaking your lavers in hot water first. This helps dissolve the glue that holds the canvas to the mesh. If I had done this my first time it would've been so much easier and I wouldn't have gotten any holes in the mesh. Then pick at the stitches of canvas with a sharp metal object like a pen knife or a small scissors or something. Keep doing that til you have a big enough hole and then start cutting away canvas. The toe is A LOT tougher, but use the same method.

Hopefully you won't end up with any cuts in the mesh, but if you do, you may want to pick up some fabric glue or Elmer's Fix-All glue and apply it to those cuts. That will permanently seal them and prevent them from getting bigger. I may one day provide a vid tutorial for this procedure, but I don't have time right now. Good luck!

footbagdad
Circle Kicker

Post by footbagdad » 05 Aug 2007 10:47

lol I look at footbag kinda like getting in bed.... You try so hard to get into bed and work so hard at it, and when it happens your just having fun. Well the same with footbag. You keep drilling yourself to do what you want to do, and sooner or later your muscle memory and skills with just happen.

Practice Makes Perfect, and true players practice to be perfect!
Scott Cunningham

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 05 Aug 2007 10:53

footbagdad wrote:lol I look at footbag kinda like getting in bed.... You try so hard to get into bed and work so hard at it, and when it happens your just having fun. Well the same with footbag. You keep drilling yourself to do what you want to do, and sooner or later your muscle memory and skills with just happen.

Practice Makes Perfect, and true players practice to be perfect!
Haha, I've never had any trouble getting into bed. Maybe you're talking about getting someone else in bed with you? Read it again thinking about that and it makes perfect sense. :-P
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

footbagdad
Circle Kicker

Post by footbagdad » 06 Aug 2007 12:25

lol yeah, your right miss typed it :roll: but eh
Scott Cunningham