New to Footbag

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Freestyle Al
Circle Kicker

New to Footbag

Post by Freestyle Al » 21 Apr 2007 03:45

Hi Everyone

Firstly i'll begin by telling you my age and where i'm from. I'm 15 years old (16 in Nov) and live in Shropshire in England. I have been playing football all my life and in the sunday league for some of it, but have recently quit.
I was a skillful player who liked to beat a player with a trick or two when I played in the Sunday league, so when I fully discovered what footbag was (couple of days ago), I couldn't resist having a go at it!

What I Need to Know
(1) What type/make of footbag is best to start with, and what should I be progressing with? I'm 15 years old, but surely there should be no problems with this or my height?
(2) What clubs/leagues are local to me? I live in Telford, Shropshire in England. Anything near or the nearest club would do!

Thanks

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 21 Apr 2007 06:50

Welcome to Modified!

The best footbag to start with is a Mr. Sandbag from freedomfootbags.com.

To find some local clubs go to http://www.footbag.org/clubs/index and then click on where your from, and you can look through all the clubs in your region.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 21 Apr 2007 07:14

You'd be best to get yourself this footbag.

and these shoes.

Optionally, you can get this

If you have any questions just browse around here on modified, i'm sure you can find what you need to know.
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...

-Robert Baker-

Freestyle Al
Circle Kicker

Post by Freestyle Al » 21 Apr 2007 08:01

Thanks for the replies guys, i'll definately take note of the footbags and shoes you've linked to me and I may buy them. The closest club to me is the one in Birmingham, which is too far for me to travel yet. (Not when I get a car though!) :lol:

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 21 Apr 2007 19:00

Welcome to modified Al.

Unfortunately footbag (both net and freestyle) is not very popular in the UK, as there are probably less 20 active freestylers in the whole country. I think it has something to do with the fact that since football is so popular, most people would rather do freestyle footBALL than freestyle footBAG.

Don't be discouraged. You can definitely still learn from trick videos on the internet. I met a guy today who had learned completely online and had never played with other freestylers before. He had been playing for less time than me and could hit 3 tricks that I couldn't!

Also, if you can get a chance to go to a tournament in mainland Europe, you definitely should! Watch the Journies To Tournies subforum for news on upcoming tournaments :)

Any more questions you have as you get started, please post them in this thread. Good luck and have fun :)+

footbagdad
Circle Kicker

Post by footbagdad » 05 Aug 2007 10:41

as a starter myself I noticed that watching other players play and their style is always different. I found that there isn't a generic style that you have to play, which is one of the reasons i love footbag so much. I also have notice that if you just spend time on one to two moves at a time, and practice them with both feet it makes you better a little faster (at least for me).
Scott Cunningham