Following Footbag

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Bringerofpie
Fearless

Following Footbag

Post by Bringerofpie » 06 Jul 2007 19:18

This seemed as good a place as any to ask this, what's a good method for following footbag like any other sport.

Also, can anyone give me a list of names I should know?
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 06 Jul 2007 20:33

Read this forum and watch lots of videos :)

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 12 Jul 2007 16:55

I think the best way to start learning about the names of tricks, and the people in footbag, is to read on the forum and watch videos. However, one other really important thing is to make it a reality, by playing with more experienced players. This way, they can show you the tricks, and explain them, so they aren't a gigantic blur.

Some big names in footbag you should know...

Tom Mosher -> Ontario, Canada. Everyone knows him, and loves him. Also a good footbagger, AND stitcher!
Jorden Moir -> One of the best players in the world. Invents tons of tricks.
Matt Cross -> New York player, known for ankle crank, and really really cool style. Also does music, which sounds good. Awesome stitcher.
Vasek Klouda -> From Prague, Czech Rep. Very good, world champion for the last 5 years. Mad ankle crank :)
David Clavens -> Best in america, currently injured. Absolutely hilarious, and is extremely good. Awesome stitcher.
Jim penske, -> Also american, extremely good.
Cod -> From Poland, he hits amazing a weird tricks, usually from toe. Awesome stitcher.
Janis -> From Australia, and he hits weird stuff, and loves it.
Phil Morrison -> I *believe* he is from New Zealand, and he is just mind blowing.
Felix Zenger -> From Finland, very cool style. Beet Boxes (sp?) as well. Youtube him.

Another note, everyone from Poland seems to be amazing.

Anyway, those are some 'famous' players, I didn't list MANY. Every footbagger just seems to be so cool, it is hard to mention all of them.

Tricks you should know...

Mirage, legover, illusion, pickup, swirl, whirl, ducking/diving, butterfly, osis.

Sets you should know,

Pixie, Stepping/Blurry.

Basically, if you know those tricks, you can almost understand everything. To me, those just seem to be the most common elements in footbag, and if you are looking up trick descriptions, you will come accross those alot. Look at "footbag.org" and go to the videos section, and then look for "trick tutorials" or something like that, and find all of those tricks.

Pixie and blurry/stepping are just two of MANY many sets, and a set is a method you use to throw the ball in the air. You combine a set with a trick, and then things get complicated.

Either way, you can't learn the tricks and their systems overnight. It is like learning a second language, you just have to hear something, then convert it to how you flail your legs around a ball, and put it together. Soon enough, you wont have to convert, you wull just know all of it instantly.

I hope that made sense.
Jay Boychuk

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 12 Jul 2007 18:28

My best advice is don't learn any nicknames of tricks. Stick to the technical names and you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort.

JM
Jorden Moir

LEGOMAN
Egyptian Footgod

Post by LEGOMAN » 12 Jul 2007 23:03

Also remember Kyle Hewitt. He's just awesome and cool. :wink:
People that like LEGOMAN - 10
People that hate LEGOMAN - 1000
LEGOMAN´s posts - Priceless

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 13 Jul 2007 04:50

Thanks, guys. I have one newbish question that I probably should have already asked, but what is this guiltless, tiltless, fearless, etc. stuff?

Joe Snyder

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 13 Jul 2007 06:42

Here are some definitions:
Tilt = 1 add trick
Guilt = 2 add trick
Trip = 3 add trick
Fear = 4 add trick
Quint = 5 add trick (nobody except James Risden ever used this term, I think... people just say "Beastly" these days)

I don't know how much you know already, but adds are KIND OF like a difficulty system... more like an additive components system -- every "add" represents a component of the trick. I can go more into that if you don't know what I mean.

So more definitions:
Tiltless = stringing tricks with only 2 add tricks and tricks of higher component value.
Guiltless = stringing tricks with only 3 add tricks and tricks of higher component value.
Etc.

So if you were to do a little string of toe stall > mirage > ATW > legover > toe stall > pickup > toe stall > drop, you couldn't say that that string was "tiltless", because you used 1 add tricks (toe stall), if you did the same string without the toe stalls, and only the 2 add moves, then the string would be tiltless. Once you are at a level where you only do 2 add tricks and more when you play, you can say that you are a tiltless player. It's not something that you should limit yourself to, but that's a brief explanation.

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 13 Jul 2007 12:40

Thanks. That's a really big help.

Joe Snyder