Tiltless -> Guiltless

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
jpaige
Shredalicious

Tiltless -> Guiltless

Post by jpaige » 29 Jul 2007 15:35

Obviously I need to drill the basics before attempting to go guiltless and I still have a lot of drilling to do before I get there. My question is how much emphasis I should put on the more difficult uptime components like fairy, quantum, atomic. Ive been drilling toe stalls, clipper stalls, mirage, illusion, atw, legover, pickup and have a decent pixie set (I can duck it occasionally) on my strong side. Should I be able to hit (for example) an atomic set both sides before I try to go guiltless or should these sets be practiced after you can land a bunch of 3 add moves that don't require these sets. Also, I assume by drilling the basic downtime 2 add components the uptimes will come much easier but are these necessary before attempting guiltless runs?
Jon Paige

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 29 Jul 2007 15:41

Don't even conciously attempt guiltless runs. They'll come naturally. Work all of your 3's until they become second nature (especially BOPs and Whirls)

Then start throwing them in your runs, and magically your runs will start becoming more and more guiltless (at least, that's how it is for me).

On the sets thing, it's not really necessary to learn sets when starting off. Pixie is fun to have though, makes the game even mroe interesting.

The next set you might want to learn would be stepping, it's pretty useful. You don't really need to learn it though unless most of your 2's and 3's are solid.

All of this is my opinion, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who would disagree with me.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 29 Jul 2007 17:14

Definitely practice all your downtime components heaps, as for sets, the two main ones are probably pixie and stepping. If you want to go guiltless practice lots of BOP's (IMO also stuff like symp mirage, dlo and pixie legover, but most people will agree that bop's are more important).

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 29 Jul 2007 20:19

I would say going guiltless resides mostly in sets. Just think: you have a normal mirage and its 2-add, but all the sudden toss in a pixie mirage and its guiltless. Practice your pixie, fairy, stepping, ducking, and spinning and you'll be guiltless in no time. Remember your flipside!

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 30 Jul 2007 06:43

The beauty of modified is you got 3 people in a discussion you got 5 opinions.

Why in such a hurry to go guiltless? Based on what you've listed as a trick repetoire you've got to get tiltless down first.

Tiltless / Guiltless doesn't just mean only hitting moves of a certain add value or higher. It means being able to hit moves of that add value or higher 20 CONTACTS consistently. Can you do 20 contacts of your two's consistently? If not, you need to work on that otherwise there's no way you'll be able to do 20 contacts guiltless.

Like other people have alluded to, the foundation of guiltless is BOP, which is Butterfly, Osis, Paradox Mirage/Illusion. You need to get those solid before you can even attempt guiltless. And when I say solid be able to link them both sides in every possible permutation imagineable, for lots and lots of contacts.

Sets can be a shortcut to guiltless. You have a pixie set on one side, that's great. No harm in fooling around with sets, but don't get obsessed with them. You need to get tiltless solid first, then BOPs, then guiltless will be reachable. Sets are nice, but they are not a necessity for guiltless, just kind of an icing on the cake.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 30 Jul 2007 14:07

Why in such a hurry to go guiltless? Based on what you've listed as a trick repetoire you've got to get tiltless down first.
so true, listen to Ben's advice guys.

jpaige
Shredalicious

Post by jpaige » 30 Jul 2007 18:47

Yea I understand I have a LOT of drilling to before even considering going guitless. I was questioning whether or not I'd be at a disadvantage not drilling uptime sets as I'm drilling my BOP's. What you said makes perfect sense and also makes the training a bit more focused (and easier). Thanks for the tips everyone! Gonna practice my ass off, should hit 20 tiltless by the end of the week (most ive hit right now is 14) :)
Jon Paige

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 30 Jul 2007 19:51

Personally I'd say go for sets, but then again I don't play guiltless. For going guiltless the general consensus is get really good at all the basic moves (like legover mirage clipper, etc) and then practice bop's. Consistency is the key, so if you really want to get a set, put some serious time in to making it consistent.