What Surface?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
EoghanMcDowell
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

What Surface?

Post by EoghanMcDowell » 08 Sep 2007 23:51

What kind of portable playing surfeca should i get for shredding? I see them alot and i've recently played on one and it is much better then concrete ground or anything else like that. Any suggestions?
Eoghan Patrick Morgan McDowell

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 09 Sep 2007 07:34

Get the one you played on since you know you like it. No use buying something that you may not like when you already know what you like.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 09 Sep 2007 07:39

Since I am contemplating on getting a surface too, I'll join the question and expand it a bit:
What are the surfaces used and recommended by players?
Plus, where would one go around getting them?
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

EoghanMcDowell
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by EoghanMcDowell » 09 Sep 2007 10:11

I would get the one i played on, if i knew what it was. It looked like puzzle pieces. I don't know for sure what it was made out of. I think rubber or something, but it was light enough to be lifted by a slight breeze. Any idea?

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 09 Sep 2007 11:19

I forget where Aaron picked those up. Aaron got the idea from Richard Abshire and Jason Crook I think. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they are just mechanics mats that you can pick up at a variety of stores. They definitely help keep your shoes lasting for a while longer and are a lot easier on the shins, I think they are just made of foam rubber. The nice part is that they interlock and can and hold together well. The internet is full of them, but I suspect GI Joes or maybe even walmart would carry them.
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 09 Sep 2007 12:00

Here's a place you can get them from for pretty cheap.

http://www.ourmats.com/?gclid=CPOahKGUt ... WAodt090wg

$30 will get you 32 sq. ft.

Plus you can get letters on them to help you learn your alphabet while you shred. It's killing 2 birds with one stone really.
Ben Skaggs

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 09 Sep 2007 12:21

Here are a few other threads along the same line:

"Rubber footbag mats??"
"Footbag Mat"
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 09 Sep 2007 12:25

I use a cow for my mat. Not, like, a piece of leather, a straight up cow.
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 09 Sep 2007 13:11

Does it help you hit sweet MOOves?
Ben Skaggs

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 09 Sep 2007 17:13

i saw those matts at sam's club for a bit under 20 bucks

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

EoghanMcDowell
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by EoghanMcDowell » 10 Sep 2007 14:09

Thanks for the info guys. I went to Big 5 sporting goods and they had some puzzle mats. They were twenty bucks, but i think i need to buy another set cause they come with only four 24" X 24" pieces. I haven't tried them out yet thought. As soon as i got back from Eugene i came down with a really bad fever/cold. So no footbag for me until I've healed. As soon as i try them I'll give a review or something. Cheers.

Burrin
Multidex Master

Post by Burrin » 11 Sep 2007 19:19

Lowes have the perfect ones. IMO. That is what Richard, Jason, Myself and the rest of the crew uses. No other way man. No pains. There are theories they can be just as bad as concert but I have never seen them happen. They are a little pricey but they don't slip, come apart when spinning or something. They are sick. I suggest sweeping under them if there is sand or dirt under them. We play at the beach and the sand under them makes it slip cause well it is slippery but we just sweep.
Be careful what you wish for

I got myself a footblog http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 016#342016

Anthony Swanson

http://gyroville.myminicity.com/

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Sep 2007 02:06

Which do you have?
I saw some thick rubber mats at Home Depot (do you have that in the U.S.A.?) and they were kind of costly, but I was curious how they would play, and if rubber would work better than foam...

I have the foam puzzle piece mats, and they blow up in the wind, and that is really annoying. They also tend to shift on spinning and higher impact/twisty moves.

Burrin
Multidex Master

Post by Burrin » 12 Sep 2007 05:15

We use foam puzzle mats.
It all matters what brand you have. I had some from Target, they were slippery and came apart. I don't suggest hte target ones. Lowes is your best option cause I know they work. They take time to break in but that is about. I am sure other stores have the same brand.

Umm, We have a home depot here. I don't know much about the rubber mats but the foam ones are nice. I never used the ones from home depot. I got one right down a few blocks from me I should check it out.

Mats will shift for a number of reason. One could be that you have less than 16. 16 is a good number I believe. A little pricey but good if you have a circle going and you interchange. Gives you room to breath and if you play in a public place in them a lot of people walk right through you. So you have room to move back while shredding.

Another reason is that could be the surface. Don't play on anything with out a lot of grip under it. Cement is fine, asphalt, and other hard surfaces. Stuff that might not work is garage floors or some thing with sand or dirt under it. But most surfaces work.

Sorry don't know if that helped. I kind of want to try rubber mats. Or even see if they have foam mats at Home depot

PS: I might make a big post on mats. Sine Richie and Jason know a lot about them and I play with them quite often. I think I will make a big post tonight under health and safety(or something like that). Peace

Anthony Swanson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Sep 2007 05:25

The ones that I have don't shift TOO much, but enough to make it annoying at times. I asked about rubber, because it would be heavier and wouldn't lift in the wind.
My mats look very similar to what I've seen Richie and Jason playing on in videos; 16 of the black/grey foam puzzle pieces.

Burrin
Multidex Master

Post by Burrin » 12 Sep 2007 05:35

Okay cool, yeah the wind can be an issue. Umm rubber I don't know much about them sorry.

Anthony Swanson

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 30 Sep 2007 08:31

I ended up getting those rubber puzzle mats too. They're pretty cheap here (~12$ for one square).

They're not annoyingly soft, they don't shift, and the only problem is that 4 squares is kind of tight (20.5 inches x 20.5 per mat)
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 30 Sep 2007 15:57

If they move around too much, just tape em down with a few pieces of duct tape, or if you have other people, they can weigh it down.
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge