BEGINNER'S VIDEO GUIDE TO FREESTYLE FOOTBAG

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Muffinman
the gimp

BEGINNER'S VIDEO GUIDE TO FREESTYLE FOOTBAG

Post by Muffinman » 15 Sep 2007 10:58

Hey guys.
I just finished a project that I've been meaning to finish for ages. The title pretty much says it all. There may be glitches, so please let me know.
I also know that I do not have the most impeccable form, so keep that in mind. I'd also like to note a couple more things:
My out-to-in dexes are completely "the", specifically my illusions and downtime fairies, so also keep this in mind. I want to make a note in the guide about it, but I'm not entirely sure what to say yet. So, having said that, try to dex your out-to-in dexes MUCH deeper than I do :p
My goal is to redo this, and all of our move demo videos, when I have a nicer camcorder, and when I can film Andrew, who DOES have impeccable form.

I think my little paragraphs are very helpful. And despite my less-than-perfect form, I think this will be invaluable to beginners.

Check it out:
www.hackrifice.com
(select the link, "guide", on the main page!)

The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 15 Sep 2007 11:10

the chan-o-man-o-matic! cool stuff!

... downtime fairies? omg

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 15 Sep 2007 17:02

downtime fairies and pixies? ..those just look like illusions/mirages that were set from the same foot. its like adding an illusion/mirage after doing an uptime trick.

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

Grade Zero
Multidex Master

Post by Grade Zero » 15 Sep 2007 17:05

downtime Pixie is another name for ss Mirage

Pixie is a trick all in itself. that's why an uptime pixie is called a Pixie "set"

same goes for Fairy
Maverick Penaranda

Proposed Job's Notation for Reincarnation: Life [BOD] > Death [XBD] > Rebirth [PDX].

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Sep 2007 18:25

Well yeah, technically they are sameside mirages and sameside illusions. I guess when I started playing, they were referred to the way I am now referring to them, so I'm not entirely sure where the majority of freestylers stand on this, currently. Even the in-to-out ATWs I do are sameside pickups.

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 15 Sep 2007 19:55

Cool, nice job Erik. Seems pretty helpful.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 16 Sep 2007 19:41

Great stuff. I think it would be cool to have captions for all the tricks during the examples of tiltless shred.

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 17 Sep 2007 09:31

I actually do need to go back and learn downtime fairies. I'll watch it when i get home. thanks erik. to bad you werent at wakahakee, i'm sure it would have been a fun time.
Ben Rea

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 18 Feb 2008 09:34

I was contemplating the making of an instructional dvd for the kids I'm teaching. Is it ok to use your videos for that purpose?
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 18 Feb 2008 12:00

Sure.
Please note the the moves, though, that I mentioned.

jbalexdarkelf
Multidex Master

Post by jbalexdarkelf » 19 Feb 2008 14:00

This is a great resource. Definitely taking a time out to watch the stuff, cause I haven't played in a while so my game is going to suck. Maybe with this I can start over and learn stuff the right way!

Good job!!
John Alexander, 17
Calling all footbaggers from Kentucky if you see this sig and are from KY, PM ME!!!!

"Beggers cant be choosers"
"Yes and givers cant be asses"

www.myspace.com/coheed_dude

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 20 Feb 2008 10:14

Erik Chan wrote:Well yeah, technically they are sameside mirages and sameside illusions. I guess when I started playing, they were referred to the way I am now referring to them, so I'm not entirely sure where the majority of freestylers stand on this, currently. Even the in-to-out ATWs I do are sameside pickups.
Yeah, but in>out ATWs are done in a different manner than pickups, the dex looks different and the timing is different. However, I can see the gray area here.

I feel there is no gray area with the downtime pixie and fairy thing, they are indeed ss mirage and ss illusion. What happens when you hit pixie ss mirage? Is that now pixie pixie? Especially since it's a beginner's guide, the only thing it can do is cause confusion. Just my two cents on the subject.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 20 Feb 2008 10:26

i think footbag is full of 10 names for the "same" move, so down time pixie and fairys ARE ss mirages and illusions, and ss mirages/illusions ARE downtime pixies and fairies technically.

props Erik im sure this would be very helpful to people beginning footbag :D.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 20 Feb 2008 11:42

Zeb Jackson wrote:i think footbag is full of 10 names for the "same" move, so down time pixie and fairys ARE ss mirages and illusions, and ss mirages/illusions ARE downtime pixies and fairies technically.
I don't think they are technically the same either. In our current jobs notation
fairy is: TOE > SAME OUT [DEX] >> OP TOE [DEL] and
ss illusion is: TOE >> SAME OUT [DEX] > OP TOE [DEL]

>> is supposed to reference the apex of the bag's flight so in relation to the ss illusion, the dex happens after >>, after the peak of the bag.

Our naming structure and system of notation are indeed somewhat complex, so it's best to stick with what the notation describes when calling a trick something, at least for what we currently know.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Feb 2008 12:41

No, you're absolutely right. They're in no way pixies or fairies, and if I ever do this over, I'll probably make that distinction, but I still stand by this statement that explains where I'm coming from:
Erik Chan wrote:Well yeah, technically they are sameside mirages and sameside illusions. I guess when I started playing, they were referred to the way I am now referring to them, so I'm not entirely sure where the majority of freestylers stand on this, currently. Even the in-to-out ATWs I do are sameside pickups.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 20 Feb 2008 12:57

Erik Chan wrote:I'm not entirely sure where the majority of freestylers stand on this, currently
I'd venture a guess and say that at least 51% of freestylers call them ss mirage and ss illusion, but more realistically around 99%.

I guess my only reason for bringing it up is because you said it was a beginner's guide. It's just fundamentally easier to say 'school your mirages and your same-side mirages' rather than 'school your mirages and your downtime pixies'. Idk, to me it just sounds confusing for a beginner. But I do totally understand why you did it and how it would be a pain to change it unless you had the original vids without the titles.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Feb 2008 13:41

I mean to eventually redo these videos with a player that has better form (ideally Andrew Grant). I will change everything when that happens. Thank you for the input.