How many times does it take?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
shredzilla
Post Master General

How many times does it take?

Post by shredzilla » 27 Nov 2007 01:38

One quote I heard early on that's stuck with me throughout my game is one I heard when I was around 4-6 months into my game, by Nate Linscott:

"If it looks like he's hit the move 100 times, he's hit it 1,000 times. If it looks like he's hit it 1,000 times, he's hit it 10,000 times."

I think this quote made me really understand the mechanics behind learning footbag moves, and it resonates so true to me. In order to master footbag moves, you have to dial in that muscle memory til it's set in stone. There's no shortcuts in footbag. The fun starts after you've hit the move(s) 1,000 times and you can bust a good run with them.

I don't know why I decided to post in this sub-forum, but I really can't stress this point enough to those who might be learning footbag. There's a reason why footbag looks easy. You gotta drill those basics until you can mirage in your sleep.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 27 Nov 2007 03:46

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=17671

The same basic discussion is happening over in that thread.

Have a look at the video of Dogen.

But remember, he is only talking about general ideas that can be applied to us, but don't take the numbers he quotes totally literally.

I think the important lesson to learn is to hit a move as many times as you can with perfect form before you start getting sloppy and missing it alot.

The reason for that is because muscle memory develops based on what you do and try. If you have in your memory banks a handful of successes but also THOUSANDS of fuck ups then your muscles won't really know what to do when it comes time to do that thing.

I think both of these threads should be pointed to either General Footbag or the Health subforum and probably be turned into just one thread.

Good topic! :)
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 27 Nov 2007 09:58

mosher wrote:http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=17671

The same basic discussion is happening over in that thread.
Yeah it's what spawned me to create this one. I don't even care if anyone replies. In fact, I'd rather people didn't and just read the post and move on. Idk, I guess I could've just posted in that thread, but I wanted people to see the statement on it's own. I know that probably sounds egotistical, but it's not meant to be. More of a wake up. I just think some people that play footbag think that they can become better with a very minimal effort put in, and it's just not that way.

But you are right, and now that I had my rant, I'll post my previous post in the other thread. :lol:
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller