Hello, simple stuff

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
linkmaster03
Circle Kicker

Hello, simple stuff

Post by linkmaster03 » 15 Jun 2008 17:08

I play footbag with friends sometimes, and I'd like to get good generically. Like saving good shots, getting hacks around the circle, not missing, etc. Are there any thing I should do, or just practice a ton?

Jack Stutler
Multidex Master

Post by Jack Stutler » 15 Jun 2008 17:25

drill your kicks inside/toe/outside.

grab a sack, hand set, kick it straight up, catch, repeat. get the kicks down from hand catching then work on stringing them all together and get the chain up.

look around and watch videos, flipsider.com has some great videos on basics, i watched those(still do actually). it helps to see it done right then go out and try and mimic it.
C-Fan wrote:After I read it I thought to myself: "this is the best tourney write-up I've ever read...and he didn't even make it to the tourney!"
Challenge Footblog

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 16 Jun 2008 08:08

If you just want to get better at hack, then play more hack. You won't find a lot of hack tips here.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 16 Jun 2008 08:13

how about this:

There IS something you should do, AND you should practice a ton. It's a great combination. works wonders, I swear. :)

the thing you should do is learn all your kicks both sides. Inside, outside, toe, knee. Then, learn the "toe flick" style toe kick. These are going to be your "making good saves" kick, because you can do it when the bag is only a few inches from the ground.

Then, you will be a good kicker. You will be able to kick and control bags coming at you from both sides and directly from the front, you'll be able to do your part in getting full hacks, and you'll be able to make good saves.

good luck!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 16 Jun 2008 08:17

Listen to Matt, he knows his stuff.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

linkmaster03
Circle Kicker

Post by linkmaster03 » 16 Jun 2008 09:12

Thank you Matt, and everybody.

TheLast
Fearless

Post by TheLast » 16 Jun 2008 11:49

buy an Adidas Rod lavers :wink:
Paulo Castro

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 17 Jun 2008 10:36

^true? true.^
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 18 Jun 2008 00:11

some circle kicking tips:

First of all be comfortable with all the basic kicks, inside, toe and outside kicks. Don't worry, this takes a lot of practice and there is always room to keep improving these.

Be aware of everyones kicking range, being unaware is usually the reason why hacks are lost when the bag lands in-between 2 people. If you are unsure if another person is going to be going for the bag be aware of the height that they usually kick the bag at. This way you can try to kick above or (preferably) below the height that they would kick the bag at if they were going for it with less risk of kicking each other.

Get good hack shoes or play barefoot! But please don't use shoes without flat surfaces, you will only make life harder for yourself. (Rod Lavers are great circle kicking shoes!). If you do choose to play barefoot make sure to not wear pants that cover your foot, barefoot+long pants = not good.

Saving the hack, some general suggestions:
If you think that the circle is going to be fairly intense, make sure to warm up and stretch first before going for any crazy saves!

Practice outside kicks, you will often have to reach out to get to the bag at very short notice. When done correctly the outside kick is one of the most effective ways to get to the bag because you have the most reach with this kick. It's important to do it correctly though to maximize accuracy and minimize the chances of getting injured. With the outside kick the power for the kick should come from your whole leg, by keeping your leg in the same place and moving from the hip you will reduce the stress on your knees. The power comes from your whole kicking leg swinging freely from the hip, the power doesn't come from flicking your lower leg (this is a common mistake). Don't reach out unnaturally far with your legs to get the hack, move your whole body in position so that you can kick within a natural range of movement. Footwork is particularly important, more below....

Often the situations where you need to save the hack arise because someone has made a bad pass. Try to be relaxed, if you are too tense it makes it more difficult to react quickly to bad passes. Try to be balanced at all times, this will make it easier to quickly move to get to the bag. Also if you are about to lose balance try to pass the bag off to someone else, and pass the bag by kicking it higher that usual as this gives everyone more time to react. This works a lot better when everyone is watching other people's balance. When someone if off balance, they are more likely to make a bad pass so try to be ready for this. When people have made a kick and are falling backwards they often can't make it back to the bag and often the kick them make won't travel as far, so start moving in their direction as soon as you see them falling backwards. Anticipate when the bag is going to go and start moving in that direction as quickly as possible, by starting your movements earlier you gain extra time to get to the hack. If you have enough time move your whole body in the direction that the bag is going to go, this will make it easier to do the kick.

I was thinking of writing some tips for uber hack, playing in crowds, passing at a distance, etc... but I think that's enough for now. Make a post if there is anything in particular that you want to ask about circle kicking, I'd be more than happy to try to answer.

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 20 Jun 2008 09:05

haha "uber hack".... my friends and i call it "power hack"
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 06 Jul 2008 13:11

lol ^^

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 06 Jul 2008 13:30

man I miss making those killer back hook kick saves...
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 06 Jul 2008 18:20

man, i can't even get 10 kicks with my lavers, my ankle crank is always too powerful or too weak and the bag sets crooked :cry: oh well...
Dan is the Man

challenge me!

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 07 Jul 2008 23:30

i had a problem with kicking in my lavers for a while (Im good now, I warmup with about 50 kicks or so before I shred) But who cares, I can stall 10092018208102 times better with my lavers :D

kicking is for squares :)

hehe

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 08 Jul 2008 05:42

Jordan wrote: kicking is for squares :)
Personally i dont agree a good butterfly kick is worth 3 adds and is super stylish haha and its an important thing to work on all move components including kicks so i guess im a square haha 8)
Tom Stouffer

CL: fairy, pixie, consistency, swirls, whirls, and bops(consistency)

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 09 Jul 2008 02:56

kicks are great, I think people avoid kicking moves because they are difficult.

dan the man
Shredaholic

Post by dan the man » 12 Jul 2008 07:25

thats why i said i can't even get 10. i was joking but my point was that its way harder to kick then to stall. i can prolly do 30-40 toe kicks, but i could toe stall all day 8)

its all about your style too, if you like to throw a butterfly kick in there for style then go right ahead. I personally enjoy when people do that, throw a dragon or something like that in there for coolness! :wink:
Dan is the Man

challenge me!