xdex tricks

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
SirSerje
Hack Fiend

xdex tricks

Post by SirSerje » 04 Jan 2009 05:29

i read some topics about xdexes, but i still cant understand, what kind of tricks (to 5 add) have xdex and why?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Jan 2009 15:00

Tricks that get an xdex are basically tricks with a "full dex" on both legs. I put "full dex" in speech marks because it's really a dex that is slightly more than a full dex.

Consider atw in to out on the right foot. The bag starts in the middle of the foot. It moves slightly around the front, the whole way around the back and then slightly around the front and back onto the foot. It never really crosses in front of the foot.

Now consider mirage set from the left foot. The bag starts away from the dexing foot. It passes completely in front of the dexing foot and then completely behind the dexing foot and then is stalled on the other foot.

A dex where the bag passes completely infront and behind the dexing foot can be considered "full."

So basic full dex sets are - atomic, nuclear, and quantum. Of course you can do these symposium as well (although symp nuclear would be difficult :P).

Basic full dex downtimes are - mirage, illusion, whirl, blender, drifter, torque, dlo (the first dex), eggbeater (first dex). I'm sure I've forgotten some, but you should get a good picture.

It's important to note that some of these are only full dexes depending on the other components they are hit from and the set. clip set drifter is not a full dex, but toe set drifter is. As I said before, the bag needs to pass completely in front and behind the dexing foot for it to be full.

Any move that has a full dex on each foot gets an xdex because xdex recognises that some combinations of dexes are harder than others. Most of these moves are made up of taking one of the sets I mentioned and adding one of the downtime components (but there are a few exceptions - such as downtime miraging symposium mirage). So if we take the first set - atomic - and the first downtime - mirage - we get atomic mirage, which is atomsmasher. If we start on our right toe, the bag passes completely behind and then infront of the left foot and then completely in front and then behind the right food. A full dex on each foot, and thus, an xdex add. Atomsmasher is a good example because note that if instead of doing an atomic op mirage you do an atomic (tapping) same mirage then there is no xdex. The bag passes behind the atomic leg but not in front for the atomic dex and then behind but not in front for the mirage dex - so neither dex is full, and there is no dex with the other leg.

Some common xdex moves are the following;

Atomsmasher (toe>op out>op in>op toe) - atomic mirage
Sumo (clip>same out>op in>op toe) - nuclear mirage
Toe blur (toe>op in>op in>op toe) - quantum mirage
Omelette (toe>op out>op out>op toe) - atomic illusion
Reactor (Toe>op out>op in>op clip) - atomic whirl
69 (clip>same out>op in>same clip) - nuclear drifter

:)

SirSerje
Hack Fiend

Post by SirSerje » 06 Jan 2009 09:25

and another question:
does conception of xdex officialy accepted by IFPA or no? (sorry for my bad english)

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 06 Jan 2009 20:53

x dexes are beyond ifpas comprehension.
JK, its just a matter of adds and adds arent an official method of determining anything beyond how many "components" a move has. Adds arent difficulty, x dex gets an add because it makes sense.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Jan 2009 20:59

Well adds are certainly accepted by the IFPA.

There isn't a list or definitions of all the different adds in the IFC rules, so there is no official word as to whether xdex is accepted or not. I can tell you that I'm one of the only freestylers in the IFC though, and I accept xdex. It's really a decision for tournament directors or head judges to make though (at least at this stage).

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 28 Jan 2009 13:43

xdex is a hack to fix problems that arise because of the way paradox has been defined.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 29 Jan 2009 11:05

There isn't a list or definitions of all the different adds in the IFC rules
... That's just sad. There should be an official list of acceptable components (aka adds) for our sport.

Johnny
Post Master General

Post by Johnny » 29 Jan 2009 11:28

Tsiangkun wrote:xdex is a hack to fix problems that arise because of the way paradox has been defined.
paradox is a hack to fix problems that arise because of the way a dex has been defined.
Johnny Suderman

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 29 Jan 2009 14:12

With all the hacking going on can we still call it Footbag? Or are we doomed to be labled "Hack-Y-Sack?
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Jan 2009 17:05

FlexThis wrote:
There isn't a list or definitions of all the different adds in the IFC rules
... That's just sad. There should be an official list of acceptable components (aka adds) for our sport.
I agree it's sad. It's sad because it's something that should probably be done but nobody in the freestyle community has put their hand up to do it. I always wanted to, but I wanted to get the basic rules up to date first. Wiktor Debski seems to pretty motivated now though, so hopefully some progress will happen.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 04 Feb 2009 07:52

i love it when the governing people bitch at the players for not taking on the task of writing the rules of the sport.

IIRC, Eric wrote up the XDEX thing, saving the governing body the hassle, but there is still nothing official about it.