when to switch to a 32 panel bag?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
johnjamieson
Circle Kicker

when to switch to a 32 panel bag?

Post by johnjamieson » 05 Apr 2009 07:30

I am currently using a Mr.Sandbag. I am working on all my stalls and kicks. I want to get a 32 panel handstitched, when would be the right time if any

Radek Deko
Shredalicious

Post by Radek Deko » 05 Apr 2009 08:16

Hey, I think its your own choice. I started playing with a 32 a week later. But it was not a good 32, it was a much much bigger version. So it is easy to stall, But I have a Haniabag 32. It's harder to stall, so I'm still waiting till i get better, but I will use it for sure. It's your own choice. :P

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 05 Apr 2009 12:01

There are stitchers out there who make 32 panel bags that are ready for shred as soon as you get them.

The days of newbies not being able to use 32s, because they have to wait a month or two for break-in, are over!

So, to answer your question, whenever you are ready to invest $25-$35 in a bag that performs well, you should poke around the FOR SALE forum.

Read stitchers' threads / reviews and find a stitcher that people talk positively about. Maybe you can even find some reviews by some newer players who bought bags, and you can base your purchase around that.

Just one thing... don't half-ass it! in other words, don't go out and find some $12 32-panel bag on some random web site. Just because it's got 32 panels does not mean it will play well.

Do a little research on modified and buy a hand-stitched bag from a reputable stitcher.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Apr 2009 12:35

Also, play with what bag you feel most comfortable with (and allows you to have the most fun).

The biggest advantage to learning to play with a 32 -- or a variety of bags for that matter -- is having that experience of playing with one when you attend a tournament. At a tournament you will have to shred with whatever bag is in the circle that you join. I found this really tough when I could only play with sand bags. But like Matt said, today's generation of 32s are just as newbie-friendly as sand bags a lot of the time.

Definitely do a bit of research first. Even an experienced stitcher may not make newbie-friendly bags. A lot of experienced stitchers are not experienced players.

Ur
Hack Fiend

Post by Ur » 05 Apr 2009 15:07

Personally, I have ordered an Hanya bag (her bags have lots of positive reviews), she'll make me a medium size bag, even though I am almost complete beginner. Don't know if it was the right decision, but I guess it's not that harder to learn the basics with a 32 panel comparing to a sandbag.
Uros Ramic

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Apr 2009 21:08

Ur wrote:Don't know if it was the right decision, but I guess it's not that harder to learn the basics with a 32 panel comparing to a sandbag.
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think that it is helpful to be speculative with a new player. Speak from experience. The bag can make all the difference and most 32s are not nearly as easy to adapt to for a beginner as a sand bag. This is why you should be careful in choosing a bag as a beginner; it can either make or break your game and either encourage or discourage your progress. A poorly crafted bag could make the difference between sticking with the sport and dropping out. Listen to Matt Cross' advice. He has been in the game for, like, a decade.
Matt Cross wrote:Just one thing... don't half-ass it! in other words, don't go out and find some $12 32-panel bag on some random web site. Just because it's got 32 panels does not mean it will play well.

Do a little research on modified and buy a hand-stitched bag from a reputable stitcher.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Apr 2009 23:22

Personally from my experiences playing with sandbags and then changing to 32 panel bags I'd recommend that you make the switch as soon as possible.

I disagree about the comfortability thing. You'll almost always find it difficult to move to a different kind of bag - especially sand to 32 panel pellet - but the transition is definitely worth it in the long run. Pellet bags will result in better form and more consistency. It was really only the strength of Ales' dislike for sandbags that made me made the transition and it took me a month or two to be able to play at the same level as before, but then it improved fairly rapidly.

My advice - the best time to move to a 32 panel hand-stitched is right away.

Ur
Hack Fiend

Post by Ur » 06 Apr 2009 04:47

Erik Chan wrote: I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think that it is helpful to be speculative with a new player. Speak from experience.
My apologies, you're right.
Uros Ramic

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 26 Apr 2009 16:23

As soon as you have the basics down

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 26 Apr 2009 21:46

Footbagger007 wrote:As soon as you have the basics down
Erik Chan wrote: I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think that it is helpful to be speculative with a new player. Speak from experience.

rSSn
Hack Fiend

Post by rSSn » 27 Apr 2009 01:13

This is less speculation, but personal experience, although I'm still a complete novice.

Right now, while trying to learn things like pixies, clipper to clipper, and stepping, it's been way more intuitive for me to use the 32 panel Haniabag and an even heavier one from Matt Cross, than the Mr. Sandbag I had earlier. There's something about these heavier bags... Makes them fly faster. Makes me want to react faster and really challenges me to push the speed/timing of my tricks... The way it lands on my clipper, bam. It flows.

So, to summarize... I switched fully to 32 panel bags after two weeks with Lavers and Mr. Sandbag. Nowadays using the lighter stuff is mostly recreational, but I feel that actual learning of tricks happens when I'm using the more challenging bags. :oops:

All subjective of course.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 27 Apr 2009 03:44

The filler makes a huge difference.
If the filler is too light (which from my experience is very common for some reason), the bag rolls off more easily and will be very frustrating to play with.
I have no idea what filler were the 'too light' ones, but I do know that I found lead to be too heavy (ruins the bag quickly), and I have a tungsten filled bag that is just perfect.

And don't ruin your 32 with warm up kicks. Always have sandbags on you for that.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

ThisIsFate
Multidex Master

Post by ThisIsFate » 18 Jun 2009 16:21

Well I want to share my experience here. I have been playing for 3 years with sandbags and 32 panels, but until recently (which is a few months ago) I just found out the 32 panel bags that i used was shit and made my progress go soooooooooooo slow. Fortunetely, I met up with caroline and she told me my bags sux, and sold me a new footfighter. It really helps my game alot lol. The crappy bags i used was bought from footbag.org (Dirty Juice Facile Footbag). I've purchased 2 times, and each time, their bags weight differently, one is very light one is very heavy one is so-so lol. Too bad i cant have my money back :evil: .
kungho

ThisIsFate
Multidex Master

Post by ThisIsFate » 03 Jun 2011 10:49

correction

the empty footbags I bought were from

http://worldfootbag.com/catalog2/showgr ... sack-11-20

never buy from there again.

Yes all footbag wieght so light and has nothing inside sad. Glad i met with caro n others
kungho

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 02 Jul 2011 21:29

mc wrote:Just one thing... don't half-ass it! in other words, don't go out and find some $12 32-panel bag on some random web site. Just because it's got 32 panels does not mean it will play well.
+1

I made that mistake buying a "squirt" bag off of footbag.org and though I thought it played well for a little while, I was just lying to myself. when you're ready to move to a 32 make sure it's quality! and by quality I highly suggest hand-stitched, that means it's made with love :P

(to reiterate, you can find hand-stitched bags on the FOR SALE thread)
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on