How to perform Uptime Dex's

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Swizzle
BSOS Beast

How to perform Uptime Dex's

Post by Swizzle » 19 Jul 2009 14:49

Ok, I'm new at all these sites, and move names, but i gotta learn. I can do stalls, or delays, or we/.. and some tricks including butterfly and oasis, mirage, im not sure what that makes me... but thats besides the point.

I can do dex's after the bag is going down. But to do the Toe uptime dex; and the Clip < op in Dex, is dead near impossible for me. I'm not sure how to pratice this, or what i should really get down perfectly to be able to perform these moves. Can anyone help???

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 19 Jul 2009 16:18

It's not really something you need to be worrying about at this point.

When you have all your tiltless tricks down both sides (mirage, legover, pickup, butterfly etc.) and can string them together in a 15+ contact string you will be ready to start learning uptime sets.

Uptime sets wont be so hard to learn once you can do your downtime tricks in your sleep.

These videos are very helpful aswell,

http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=11019

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 20 Jul 2009 07:31

so drop trying to do double dex's??? and work on single dex's performed with both feet easily and consistantly?

I guess i can do that =P, if thats true write me back, b/c i want to be able to do doubles and uptime in the long run.

Thanks for the info.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 20 Jul 2009 12:47

Swizzle wrote:so drop trying to do double dex's??? and work on single dex's performed with both feet easily and consistantly?

Exactly!

It is really important to have a good foundation to build on in your game. Trying tricks that are too hard for you will result in bad form and short runs. I would much rather watch a controlled 10 contact string of tilless/single dex tricks than one sloppy double dex.

I played more than six months (a few times a week) before I started to learn sets/double dexes. I still have tons to work on myself but I'm definitely glad that I got my basics solid before I started to try the harder stuff.

The great thing about footbag is the more you play the more you improve, so just keep playing and you'll be hitting this stuff in no time.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 24 Jul 2009 22:53

If you want to learn uptime dexes then start with the components. Do pixies and fairies as a move, try and learn them on each foot. Soon you should be able to do the pixies and fairies high enough to add other moves to it- legover, pickup, mirage, dragon?...

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 29 Jul 2009 18:04

I Couldnt help but keep trying, ive finally figured out how to do a weak pixie, it normally doesn't go straight up, and it hasnt ever gone as high as the good people, but i did do a couple, and almost hit a toe to toe double atw; In to Out.

But my main progress two days ago was hitting a Inside [del] double atw Out to In. I have hit it about 8 times in two days, but i also felt as if my hip was about to be pulled. I streched some and over 36 hours its gotten 66% better...

Im pretty happy with where i am at. My left foot ATW's are almost always weak. I never do toe to toe, i do Inside [del] to Inside [del]. Or Left clipper ATW to left Inside [del].

Once again, i am very new to the footbag terms, im not terrible though, i have been playing for a year and a half, but just recently got Rod lavers and Quantum03's and some decent bags.
-Later

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 29 Jul 2009 18:12

cool :) now would be a great time to start a footblog, because this sub-forum is about tricks for beginners, and the footblog sub-forum is about your personal progress.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 31 Jul 2009 22:18

Yeah because we all know how busy this sub forum is. :roll: :roll: :roll: The last post on the first page is from JAN 5 :roll: :roll: :roll: This is THE most dead forum I log into and in that light all footbag related posts should be welcomed.
Please let the newbies talk about every last bit of their progress in this forum.
BLOGS=selfishness/ look at me. This is the proper forum for newbies to speak about what they hit IMO.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 01 Aug 2009 04:41

Offtopic blog/post conversation:
I disagree. Sub forums like "getting started" & "trick tips" are intended as a knowledge bank. It may seem dead, but if you search it for info, you will find plenty of it on almost any footbag subject you can think of.

Further, I think it is more selfish to write about yourself in a generic forum under a post that doesn't demand it. If you had a footblog, you could write whatever you want about yourself, and people who want to read it will know where to find it. Now, people who'll be interested in reading about uptime dexes will run into what your current level is, instead. That is more selfish.

On topic: You don't need uptime to hit double dex's. And you certainly don't need to hit them at your current state. Perfect your single dex moves, then move forward.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 03 Aug 2009 19:22

mmmmmmk... but seriously, how would you do a double dex downtime.. nvm double leg over??? is that what you mean?

I will start a footblog this month.. Thanks guys
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Aug 2009 05:12

Posting in here is fine. None of the subforums were intended to be "knowledge banks" when they were created, and if you post questions in this subforum, even though it's way less popular than the footblog forum, you're probably a lot more likely to have your questions answered.

Your progress is sounding very good. Footbag is hardest when you're learning the basic components, so you're doing very well.

Regarding uptime sets - I found these very difficult to learn as well. Actually there wasn't much of a learning curve for me with pixie and stepping sets - I couldn't do them at all and then I could - although I did spend ages trying to figure them out before I could. However learning flip pixie sets was a very slow process for me.

If you have a look in the trick tips forum you can probably find good topics about all the uptime sets you want to learn. When I was learning these sets I used to read through people's tips and then get up and try to do exactly what they were saying in slow motion without the bag, and then try it with the bag. I also used to watch videos and then try to imitate exactly what they were doing.

Re; double dexes downtime. The trick with most of these is to start both dexes as early as you can and be doing both dexes basically at the same time - but obviously with one leg leading the other. It can often be helpful to think about what each leg is doing in isolation to the other leg. For example with double legover one leg just does a mirage while the other leg sets and plants as quickly as possible and then you jump off that leg and do a legover. In this case the mirage leg really takes care of itself and the key is to focus on planting the legover leg as quickly as possible and starting that second dex as early as you can - of course you should have solid mirages and legovers before trying this trick. Practising doing the trick but without actually doing the mirage dex can really help as well.

Of course with some double dexes both dexes are with the same leg. Usually in the case of those it helps to first learn the component with the first dex uptime or peak time so that you can move a lot slower and still do the move. As you get the action down solidly you can speed it up and start trying to hit the downtime part after a different component etc.

You should also always ask questions when you have them. There are lots of experienced people on this forum who'll try their best to help you out, and although often you could probably figure out the answer yourself, it's often a lot quicker to just ask. Of course a mix of both is good, and as you get better you'll probably figure out how to solve your problems yourself :) Learning all the footbag terminology can be very useful for being understood asking questions, but you'll probably just pick it up over time without having to put much effort in to learning it.

Good luck :)