What have I done...?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
CueNewPassion
Circle Kicker

What have I done...?

Post by CueNewPassion » 05 Jul 2010 09:03

So, I think I've made a mistake.

I'm totally new to this sport--never even held a footbag before--so, before I went off and bought the wrong type of bag for beginners, I shopped around a little bit. I ended up going with an 8-panel dirtbag from flyingclipper.com.

http://www.flyingclipper.com/home/fly/p ... otbag.html

So, my question is: A lot of people seem to be very partial to the "Mr. Sandbag" and freedomfootbags.com in general. I was wondering why this is and if I made a mistake buying from flyingclipper.com?

Oh, and Hi... I'm Jess :D

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 05 Jul 2010 10:13

hi jess,

please give this thread a read:

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=21392

Point 4 kind of answers your question;

there are a few bags out there that experienced players can say FOR CERTAIN are great for freestyle, but there are lots of other wonderful kicking toys out there.

The bag you ordered is not a bad one, but I think the ones I mentioned in that thread to which I just linked you are better. You can learn a lot from, and enjoy, the bag that you have, but I would set your sights on a Mr Sandman or a hand-stitched 32 in the coming months.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

CueNewPassion
Circle Kicker

Post by CueNewPassion » 05 Jul 2010 10:18

Awesome. Thanks for the help :)

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 06 Jul 2010 15:09

I would also like to say that I learned on an 8p dirtbag from flying clipper. Even though pro stitcher made footbags are the best, I still like brands. Flying clipper and pandemonium are my favorites. I used to like world footbag, but that doesn't have what I like right now. I'm currently using bags I make for myself, or a hania so beaten up I can't even tell what the colors are. Since right now, you probably don't know who Hania is, she is a pro stitcher.

Welcome to the world of Footbag, Jess!

Forgot to mention, Pandemoniums sometimes leak, so I have to modify them not to, with a quick couple stitches. I only use larger bags (Bags from brands are usually too big) to practice my dexterities and some other crap, making it easier to do with my average, smaller bag.

CueNewPassion
Circle Kicker

Post by CueNewPassion » 06 Jul 2010 16:53

Good to know I didn't waste $14! I'm planning on investing in a Mr. Sandbag and maybe a Sandmaster in the near future, but I'm also starting college in the fall so most of my money is going to dorm "stuff" at the moment. UPS should be bringing my 8-panel tomorrow. I can't wait :D

Thanks for the welcome :) It's going to be a VERY long time before I can start boasting about nailing tricks, but I'm planning on practicing as much as possible until school starts. Wish me luck (I have absolutely no coordination)!

Oh, and I'm a girl (Jess---short for Jessica) in case that confused you... haha.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Jul 2010 17:00

Where are you going to school? One of us might know of baggers in your area.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

CueNewPassion
Circle Kicker

Post by CueNewPassion » 06 Jul 2010 17:09

James Madison U. I'm sure there has to be at least one bagger there. I mean, what else is there to do in Harrisonburg? ;)

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 07 Jul 2010 15:38

I thought Chrissy fryer was out there... I think she moved though :(

CueNewPassion
Circle Kicker

Post by CueNewPassion » 07 Jul 2010 16:17

Hmm :cry: Hopefully, I can find some other students to hack with me. I got my dirtbag in the mail today, btw. I love it. The most I've done so far is 3 consecutive front kicks... but that's more than I expected on the 1st day.

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 09 Jul 2010 06:28

Haha, yeah. I sucked really bad at footbag at first. After my first week all I could do was kick the bag twice.
However my friend scott, who never stuck with the sport, could do 8 after a couple hours.

Mossflower
Circle Kicker

Post by Mossflower » 11 Aug 2010 14:10

I'm sure if you just start kicking by yourself on campus soon you'll have people flocking over to join you. Have fun and good luck!

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 12 Aug 2010 21:57

Mossflower wrote:I'm sure if you just start kicking by yourself on campus soon you'll have people flocking over to join you. Have fun and good luck!
Agreed. I think this is the best way to get kicks down and comfortable.
And its a great way to meet new people.
Although it can be daunting kicking by yourself until the people show up, lol.
Keep us updated!
~Donovon

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 13 Aug 2010 12:09

Shouldn't take too long, either. I met my friend scott in my first day or two of footbag, just kicking in the park.